X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mojo_13
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2007

Router bit set for Bosch Colt

I was just wonderin what kind of bit set you would reccomend for this trim router. It takes 1/4" bits and am just looking for an inexpensive bit set to get me started. Wish i would have known I was getting this and I would have picked up the set holbren had on sale a while back. But any reccomendations would be appreciated.
  • Ken Massingale
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Liberty, SC, USA.
    • Ridgid TS3650

Check pricecutter.com. Also drop Brian a PM, he may have a set laying around.

Comment

• Holbren
      • Oct 2004
      • Heathrow, FL.

I'll look I may have something.

My take on routers like the Colt (don't own one) is that the applications you would use them in are fairly limited. So, buy some 1/4" shank better bits like the Whitesides as you need them or get a few up front you know you'll need. I think Whiteside 1/4" shank straight bits are as low as $12 each before the BT3 discount.

Somebody was asking the other day about a 66 piece set for the same use. I told him there is no way you'll be spinning those larger chamfer bits or profile bits with a trim router.

If I had one; flush trim, rabbets and some straight cuts. Maybe some small diameter roundovers and coves too but I prefer to do as much on the table as I can.
      Brian
      Holbren, Whiteside, LRH, Ridge, Tenryu, Norton
      "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
      www.holbren.com

Comment

• big tim
        • Mar 2006
        • Scarborough, Toronto,Canada
        • SawStop PCS

FWIW.
        One thing to consider when selecting some of the bits for use in the Colt is that this trim router and maybe other makes as well, has a limited range of depth adjustment. I had to use a straight bit once in my Colt, the bit I was using, had a cutting lenght of 1.25". There was not sufficient depth adjustment in the router to make the shallow dado I wanted to make.
        Space available did not allow me to use a regular router. What I ultimately did was go beyond the regular adjustment range and rely on the clamp only to keep the body in the base.
        So bare that in mind when selecting your bits.

Tim
        Sometimes my mind wanders. It's always come back though......sofar!

Comment

• Holbren
          • Oct 2004
          • Heathrow, FL.

Tim,

1-1/4" cutter length is pretty long for a 1/4" shank straight bit. What whas the overall length? Was it a Leigh jig bit by chance? They are longer than all others.
          Brian
          Holbren, Whiteside, LRH, Ridge, Tenryu, Norton
          "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
          www.holbren.com

Comment

• bthere
            Established Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Alpharetta, GA

Originally posted by big tim
            FWIW.
            One thing to consider when selecting some of the bits for use in the Colt is that this trim router and maybe other makes as well, has a limited range of depth adjustment. I had to use a straight bit once in my Colt, the bit I was using, had a cutting lenght of 1.25". There was not sufficient depth adjustment in the router to make the shallow dado I wanted to make.
            Space available did not allow me to use a regular router. What I ultimately did was go beyond the regular adjustment range and rely on the clamp only to keep the body in the base.
            So bare that in mind when selecting your bits.

Tim
            I had almost the same issue. I only had the Colt with me and needed to rout a groove and the bit was too long with the adjustment range allowed by the colt. I just got a chunk of half inch MDF, drilled a hole for the bit and used double sided tape to hold it to the base. It did alright for a rough use, but I wan't as comfortable having the Colt sit up that extra bit taller. If I had to do it again, I would probably have made the MDF base a little bigger to provide better stability.

Comment

• big tim
              • Mar 2006
              • Scarborough, Toronto,Canada
              • SawStop PCS

Originally posted by Holbren
              Tim,

1-1/4" cutter length is pretty long for a 1/4" shank straight bit. What whas the overall length? Was it a Leigh jig bit by chance? They are longer than all others.

It came with a set of bits I bought several years ago at Sears here in Toronto. It was the only bit I had to do that job. It is indeed quite long, I grant you that.

Tim
              Sometimes my mind wanders. It's always come back though......sofar!

Comment

Working...