• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ofna89
    Established Member
    • Dec 2006
    • Portland Maine

Replacing bench top

Im replacing my existing 1/2 plywood top with 3/4 particle board. How would I attach this, screw like the old top?
  • lrogers
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Mobile, AL. USA.
    • BT3000

If your existing top is still in decent shape, I'd lay the new top over the existing top using glue & screws. The top on one of my work benches is 3 layers of MDF. It's heavy, but very stable and flat. I edged the top with poplar so the edges wouldn't chip. It has held up very well, but it does take 3 men and a boy to move it!
    Larry R. Rogers
    The Samurai Wood Butcher
    http://splash54.multiply.com
    http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Have to agree with Larry, Ofna.... Just add on top to get an even sturdier base for it to sit. And I would personally re-think the particle board which is basically wood chip waste compressed and glued together. Those wood chips and glue separate and crumble into pieces if you accidentally get them wet. That's why you should never use particle board as sub-flooring in a kitchen.. bath room or laundry room.

MDF comes .004 flat off the shelf and is much more stable. It has a harder and smoother surface also and would be a better choice IMO. But.. that's just my opinion as everyone has their own.

Regards...
      Last edited by Guest; 04-11-2007, 08:42 AM.

Comment

• 68KANE
        Established Member
        • Jan 2005
        • Atlanta, Georgia.

I used 2 pieces of 3/4" MDF for my workbench top and banded it with some 1 1/2" trim from HD. It was suggested to me to go with a 2" overhang on all sides so that you can mount a vise or bench grinder to a small piece of MDF or plywood and when needed, put it on a corner and use clamps to secure it. When finished, simply unclamp and store your vise or grinder.
        What's her's is her's and what's mine is her's!

Comment

• JR
          The Full Monte
          • Feb 2004
          • Eugene, OR
          • BT3000

I agree with the othe posters who have suggested layering on MDF and trimming it out with 1.5" wood. You can use carpet tape on the MDF to keep it in position. No screws required.

JR
          JR

Comment

• JoeyGee
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2005
            • Sylvania, OH, USA.
            • BT3100-1

I like to layers of 3/4" MDF with 1/4" tempered harboard on top. When that gets damaged, just pull it off and replace it. I don' even screw it down. I jus put poplar trim all around.
            Joe

Comment

• siliconbauhaus
              • Dec 2006
              • hagerstown, md

Originally posted by SARGE..g-47
              MDF comes .004 flat off the shelf
              darth vader " Impressive " /darth vader
              パトリック
              daiku woodworking
              ^deshi^
              neoshed

Comment

• eezlock
                • Feb 2006
                • Charlotte,N.C.
                • BT3100

replacing bench top

Why not go by the Habitat Restore or borg or somewhere else that sells doors
                and buy one of their solid core doors that has slight damage to on one side.
                You can probably get one very cheaply there and put it on over the existing
                bench top and it makes a good solid heavy duty work top....that is what I've been using for two years on my bench and it holding up well thru all the
                cutting, drilling, clamping and other abuse that I put it thru. eezlock

Comment

Working...