• Show
Clear All
  • briank
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2007
    • San Antonio, Texas
    • Craftsman

Which table saw???

OK, here goes. I am going to be upgrading from my craftsman contractor saw to either a JET supersaw with sliding table OR the JET Xacta saw, and I am getting different opinions....Several people have had good things to say about the supersaw with sliding table (I LIKE THE SLIDING TABLE FEATURE), say the saw is plenty good for me, the weekend warrior wood guy), THEN there are the couple of folks that just knoch the **** out that particular saw saying its not built well, that life will be horrible because theres NO miter slot on the left side of the blade, and so on......Personally I don't use the left side slot that much, and if I did (with left tilt blade) I could probably figure a way around that issue...Anyway, DOES ANYBODY have any FACTS about those saws, do you OWN one?
    Please enlighten me.....
    PS. GREAT forum btw!!!
  • Russianwolf
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
    • One of them there Toy saws

Welcome aboard.

I don't have any direct knowledge of the saws you're looking at, but I will offer the same advice I offer anyone looking at any saw. Check with the place you are buying from (hopefully local) and see if you can take it for a test drive for a couple weeks. (HD had a 30 day return policy on the BT so it was easy to do) See if you like it. If so, keep it. If not, take it back.

The ONLY way that you will know if it really is the saw for you is by using it.
    Mike
    Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• Knottscott
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • Rochester, NY.
      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Hi Brian - Which "Supersaw" are you considering? The original that came out ~ 4-5 years ago did indeed have some issues. Specifically with the belt used for lowering and raising the blade, as well as criticisms of the fence for a saw in that price range. I believe the belt issue has been resolved, or at least improved for the most part, but AFAIK that version of the SS is being replaced. It typically doesn't take top honors in the hybrid comparisons, but many have still liked it, some not. I seem to recall Rockler blowing them out for $599 this fall, which is a very good price. There's a new Supersaw out that has a full enclosure and an Exacta (Biese clone) fence that seems to be getting better reviews. Either could still work out to be a nice saw for you depending on what you like, and of course price is always a consideration.

That said, if the Exacta saw you referenced is a full 3hp cabinet saw with the industrial grade trunnions, it's simply a more substantial machine than the hybrids. More power, easier alignment, more stability, better longterm reliability, and possibly even slightly better accuracy. It doesn't come with a slider, but a slider can be added to most full size saws...it'd make for a nice upgrade some time.

Here's a pic of the original style (Jet 708777K JWSS-10SPF Supersaw):

Here's the updated model (Jet 708780K JWSS-CS-PF Supersaw):
      Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• hermit
        Established Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Somerset, PA, USA.

Hey Brian, here's my 2 cents. The JET supersaw (original) was the one I dreamed about a while back. I had every intention of saving and buying one, then I started reading a lot of bad reviews on it, one thing in particular was the elevation belt dusmight spoke of, and I got a little spooked. No biggie, I wasn't ready plunk down $1200 just yet anyway. Then I spied the Craftsman 22124 with the Bies fence system. Looked like a nice saw, but didn't think I wanted a Craftsman TS. Upon further investigation, almost all comments on this thing were positive and raves at that. Waiting for discounts and such, I found a home in my shop for one and really like it. I was like you and wanted the sliding table feature mostly because I got used to the BT3000, but now all I think about is how nice miter slots are.

If you're set on the Jet, by all means buy it. I know what its like to have other people tell you what you should buy. I've had people tell me I should buy a full cabinet saw, but I knew I didn't need that. I just wanted to let you know you can have a good hybrid at nearly half the price of the Jet, and the Craftsman is built like a full cabinet saw to boot. I got mine for around $675 after discounts.

Have fun, a new saw is an exciting purchase!

Todd

Comment

• drumpriest
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2004
          • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
          • Powermatic PM 2000

Well, the local Rockler had the Jet 708777K JWSS-10SPF Supersaw on sale for a crazy price, something like 600$. I didn't like the fence at all though, tell you the truth. It didn't lock down well, and didn't provide any confidence that it wouldn't move when pushed against. The jet beismeyer knock-off of the new version would probably be better.

Of course, the craftsman hybrid is very competitive in terms of price and features, like an actual beismeyer fence at a better price.
          Keith Z. Leonard
          Go Steelers!

Comment

• briank
            Forum Newbie
            • Mar 2007
            • San Antonio, Texas
            • Craftsman

Thanks you guys for all your wisdom so far.....Man nothings easy!! The 2 pics that were posted above shows the SS in the STILL available 2 versions, the one I'm looking @ is the closed cabinet version. Here in teh san antonio area, WOODCRAFT seems to be th eonly place you can actually go & look @ one...The retail is $1399 for the one with the 52" fence/rails/ sliding table. They will do 10% off of that which puts in the $1250 range.....What I'm leaning, honestly, at the XACTA saw with teh 52" fence, with the XACTA II fence. Its a full 3HP motor, more stable, SOLID, and I guess in the not too distant future I could add the Jessem sliding table dealy...( technical term)
            Surprisingly this saw with the 52" rails is also right @ $1250...so..hhmmmm...whats a guy to do...
            Also, I have ALWAYS, ALWAYS been very loyal to craftsman stuff, BUT when I have been to the stores to look @ their newest TS, 10" left tilt, Biesemeyer fence, etc., the lack of quality REALLY wreaks, an dI'm not being picky when I say that. No offense to those that have one btw. I have many craftsman machines now, including one of the bigger drill presses. The day I brought the one "big one" home ,and started putting it together...well...the excitement of it being huge,more power,and so on was overshadowed by the extreme "so-so" quality of the overall machine---made in china, like everything else..it sucks that they are not made here anymore.
            Sorry. I'm rambling on...
            With that being said, would it be a concensus that the XACTA saw, with a later addition of slider would be overall better than the enclosed SS with slider???

Thanks again for your words of wisdom!!
            Brian in san antonio

Comment

• drumpriest
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2004
              • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
              • Powermatic PM 2000

Well, my only issue with any of these saws is a lack of riving knife. The XACTA fence is a beismeyer clone, and should treat you well. A note on craftsman, they don't make tools, they just rebrand other tools for sale. It's all about doing your due diligence for each specific tool. The new TS line is made by orion, and has gotten fairly good reviews. They are a bit rough around the edges ala grizzly, but good machines overall.

As to the slider, to be honest, now that I've build a nice cross cut sled, I don't miss my sliding table at all. The Jessem slider is very tempting though, but at 600$, I'd put that extra money into a better saw rather than an add on slider. 1250 + 600 = 1850, unisaw X5 and powermatic land money all of a sudden.
              Keith Z. Leonard
              Go Steelers!

Comment

• briank
                Forum Newbie
                • Mar 2007
                • San Antonio, Texas
                • Craftsman

I here what your saying....add ons, and more add ons...
                The woodcraft people were nice enough to show me the Powermatic TS, the PM2000...quite tasty! and @ $2100 -10%, made it even more tasty.
                Don't feel comfy blowing $2K on TS. Now if I were using it to earn a living, thats different
                On a slightly diff. note can you guys also advise on which 14" bandsaw is the most bang for buck? with decent quality?

Gracias!
                Brian

Comment

• drumpriest
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2004
                  • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                  • Powermatic PM 2000

In a recent euro style test, the Ricon ultimate won, and the craftsman 14" was best buy. I have the craftsman, and it's pretty good. My complaints are that you have to order blades, as it's a non standard size, but the good of that is you get 8" resaw.

I recently did have the motor bog down a bit when resawing 7 1/2" aussy lacewood though. I'm happy with my bandsaw, but I'd probably get something with 1 1/2 hp if I were to do it over.
                  Keith Z. Leonard
                  Go Steelers!

Comment

• hermit
                    Established Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Somerset, PA, USA.

Listening (or reading should I say) to your posts, there is no doubt ......... go for the Xactasaw. 1st, its obvious you're sold on JET. 2nd, its more saw for the money, and its obvious you'll always wish you got the 3hp. Have fun.

Todd

As far as the BS goes, go for the Rikon. I have the Craftsman, but it seems you'll never be comfortable with a Craftsman, you'll always wonder "what if". The Rikon has the extra resaw capacity, which would be nice, but I couldn't justify $800 for a BS.

PS. I was like you before, but went the other way. Didn't want C'man crap, now I have a TS, BS, and DP. All within 6months, so all new stuff ........ like everything so far ... go figure.

Comment

• lrr
                      Established Member
                      • Apr 2006
                      • Fort Collins, Colorado
                      • Ryobi BT-3100

Originally posted by briank
                      I here what your saying....add ons, and more add ons...
                      The woodcraft people were nice enough to show me the Powermatic TS, the PM2000...quite tasty! and @ $2100 -10%, made it even more tasty.
                      Don't feel comfy blowing $2K on TS. Now if I were using it to earn a living, thats different
                      On a slightly diff. note can you guys also advise on which 14" bandsaw is the most bang for buck? with decent quality?

Gracias!
                      Brian
                      Brian,

I just bought the Powermatic 14" bandsaw -- got it at Woodcraft, but I did not have to pay any shipping charges. Plus, I bought it on the $100 rebate offer, and it had the riser kit. Of course, what clinched it for me was the 18 wheeler Powermatic toy truck ...

I put on a Viking blade today (from Lee Valley, they say it is re-branded Timberwolf, abd the tensioning instructions read identical to the Timberwolf, so I'll take their word for it.)

With 1.5 HP motor, and Carter Quick Tensioning system, this is an amazing saw, and you wouldn't be sorry. You'll hear lots about the Rikon, and I considered it as well. I also considered the high-end 14" Grizzly.

I think when you decide to buy at the top end of the 14" offerings, you won't go too wrong with any of the saws mentioned, and that would includew Delta and Jet. too. I decided that I was tired of buying entry products, and not being completely satisfied. I'd rather wait, and get what I really wanted.

Good luck trying to sort out all the options to consider.
                      Last edited by lrr; 04-01-2007, 10:19 PM.
                      Lee

Comment

• briank
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Mar 2007
                        • San Antonio, Texas
                        • Craftsman

Ok...well the weekend has come and gone..and guess what I did..?? Just HAPPEN to be @ the sears.com site on friday evening, late, and while looking @ their BS #22401 ,I noticed something underneath the saw icon about shipping...and so on. What I noticed in particular was multiple discounts for buying stuff online, to then pickup same said product @ store...no shipping..AND they had "tiered" discounts % off when you bought even more goodies...SO after reading a LOT about THIS particular model, and most people saying thumbs up about it, I bought it online, for a healthy discount- Heres what it was
                        $499 online -20% + $399.....Then while @ the store to pick it up, I asked the mgr. in the tool dept. about getting another 10% off for the CC sale...she thought for a second ,and said OK. She took my online receipt, punched in the ticket #, and by the time she was done, it knocked it down to $349!! I thoght " out frickin standing"!!
                        Took it home, unboxed, started assembly, and remembered a few guys *****ing about "no manual", no instructions, real complicated assembly that took hours.
                        To those gentlemen I say ( like GEICO)--- So simple, a caveman could do it! Instructions seem to be translated from chinese to english by a complete retard though, however when you look @ pictures of assembly, not hard at all. Built it, adjusted it, tweaked it, and fired it up. Cut 1x4 maple base I have like it was nothing...I 'm happy camper. Lets just hope it stays that way. BTW ,.I purchased th3 3pack C-man prof. blade pack they have for my real work, just thought taking that stock blade for a spin..it did ok I must say. I'm cautiously optimistic about the BS, but i'm sure it will be OK!
                        Saved a couple of C notes on the BS, so today I went to woodcraft and ordered the JET XACTA saw, 3HP,50" fence, pwr windows and locks( just kidding), for a bottom line of $1250+tax. Homer is happy camper today!!
                        Thank you guys again for your advice and input. Made me much more comfy spending $$ on stuff that I wish I knew more about (but learning)
                        Sorry 4 the long blah blah, but its a great day when you get a new saw!!

Brian

Comment

• hermit
                          Established Member
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Somerset, PA, USA.

Congrats! Enjoy your new purchases. You know you wont have to buy another TS now! BTW, thats why I ended up with all the Cman stuff I have. Multiple discounts, made the purchases "couldn't pass up" deals

Todd

Comment

• drumpriest
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2004
                            • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                            • Powermatic PM 2000

The stock blade on the Craftsman band saw, as well as those in the 3 pack are made by Olsen. A good band saw blade company. Beyond those, you can order blades at the 99 3/4" from timberwolf and from highland hardware (wood slicer).
                            Keith Z. Leonard
                            Go Steelers!

Comment

• cgallery
                              Veteran Member
                              • Sep 2004
                              • Milwaukee, WI
                              • BT3K

Interesting thread. It seems to have mysteriously changed from discussing table saws into discussing band saws.

Comment

Working...