• Show
Clear All
  • 180x
    Established Member
    • Dec 2006
    • North Augusta, SC
    • Craftsman 21829

Source of Lumber in SC/GA

I'm looking for a source of lumber in the SC/GA area. I'm in SC but on the GA border, in North Augusta. My perference is anything w/in a 150 mile radius. But I'd be willing to go furher if need be.
    Dwayne
  • Ken Massingale
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Liberty, SC, USA.
    • Ridgid TS3650

-I have some sawyers in Anderson/Oconee counties, but you should be able to find some lots closer. Let me know if you don't have any luck. JimD near Columbia may be able to help.
    ken

Comment

• ChuckR

108x, have you considered using an Internet source? I have heard good responses from Wall Lumber in North Carolina. Items are shipped to your door in a big brown truck.

Comment

• dfstrasser
        Forum Newbie
        • Jul 2004
        • North Augusta, SC, USA.

I'm in NA also. Recently I've seen some adds in the Carolina Trader for wood in the Lexington area. The ads were in the tool or building materials section. I can't remember exactly. You may have to drive up to Exit 11 (Kent"s Corner BP) to find the trader. I'm not sure if they have them around NA.

Comment

• 180x
          Established Member
          • Dec 2006
          • North Augusta, SC
          • Craftsman 21829

I would really like to go personal so I can actually see different types of wood and how they are graded. I think it would be pretty cool to learn to pick your own wood for a project being undertaken.
          Dwayne

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Evening 180x...

Possibly a bit too far for you, but Suwanee Lumber just north of Atlanta off I-85 in robust, downtown Suwanee, Ga.. That's in Gwinnett Co.

Been using them for 35 years. You just go down to the lumber rack and mill around looking and picked through all day if you want. Best prices around but only open till noon on Saturdays.

Just in case ya can't get anything closer...

Regards...

Comment

• 180x
              Established Member
              • Dec 2006
              • North Augusta, SC
              • Craftsman 21829

Actually I have some friends who live in the ATL. I was planning to go by there (I really wanted to when they had the curly maple sale) when I get back from Alabama.
              Dwayne

Comment

• JimD
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2003
                • Lexington, SC.

There is a hardwood dealer in the Columbia area. The name is "Woodworks Inc", the address is 237 Glenn Road and the phone number is 791 7371 (803). I've bought a fair amount of oak and maple from him and a little walnut and cherry. The wood has been fine and the prices decent. Wood is stored in tent buildings but has always seemed dry. He only works half days and I do not remember which half. I would call. You would come I-20 to I-26 (or you can cut over on U S 1) and go to the exit past the airport exit headed towards Charleston. It's about 5 miles after you get off I-26 but you better call them for directions - it's not hard once you've done it but Glenn Road is easy to miss (not many turns but one is easy to miss). He sorts out the figured stock so if you want it he probably has some but you will also pay more, of course. Everything I have bought has been surfaced 2 sides, I've never seen him have unsurfaced lumber (he has tools in a shed including a jointer 12 or 16 inches wide and a big thickness planner).

The other place I go I like better but it's in Charlotte near the airport - pretty far for you. They sell rough wood above 4x4 thickness and don't sort out the "good" boards to sell at a higher price. They are also open Saturday.

Jim

Comment

• Ken Massingale
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Liberty, SC, USA.
                  • Ridgid TS3650

Originally posted by JimD
                  There is a hardwood dealer in the Columbia area. The name is "Woodworks Inc", the address is 237 Glenn Road and the phone number is 791 7371 (803). I've bought a fair amount of oak and maple from him and a little walnut and cherry. The wood has been fine and the prices decent. Wood is stored in tent buildings but has always seemed dry. He only works half days and I do not remember which half. I would call. You would come I-20 to I-26 (or you can cut over on U S 1) and go to the exit past the airport exit headed towards Charleston. It's about 5 miles after you get off I-26 but you better call them for directions - it's not hard once you've done it but Glenn Road is easy to miss (not many turns but one is easy to miss). He sorts out the figured stock so if you want it he probably has some but you will also pay more, of course. Everything I have bought has been surfaced 2 sides, I've never seen him have unsurfaced lumber (he has tools in a shed including a jointer 12 or 16 inches wide and a big thickness planner).

The other place I go I like better but it's in Charlotte near the airport - pretty far for you. They sell rough wood above 4x4 thickness and don't sort out the "good" boards to sell at a higher price. They are also open Saturday.

Jim
                  Hey Jim,
                  Do you know if that guy has SYP? A young fellow came up from N. Augusta today to pick up the HF bandsaw he bought from me and is searching for SYP for molding.
                  Thanks Jim

Comment

• 180x
                    Established Member
                    • Dec 2006
                    • North Augusta, SC
                    • Craftsman 21829

Thanks Jim. I'll have to stop by the ine in Columbia (after I call first). I'm in Alabama @ the moment until the first week in May. I'll check it out then. However, what do you mean by "decent" prices (I don't really have a good idea what's low or high).
                    Dwayne

Comment

• MikeMcCoy
                      • Nov 2004
                      • Moncks Corner, SC, USA.
                      • Delta Contractor Saw

Originally posted by 180x
                      Thanks Jim. I'll have to stop by the ine in Columbia (after I call first). I'm in Alabama @ the moment until the first week in May. I'll check it out then. However, what do you mean by "decent" prices (I don't really have a good idea what's low or high).
                      Dwayne - I asked that same question several months ago. I'll have to do some checking but I was given a couple of sources just up the road from you in GA. There's a mom and pop mill just outside Charleston (Ridgeville Lumber) but I'll see if I kept the contact info on the mills in GA.

Comment

• JimD
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2003
                        • Lexington, SC.

Is SYP Southern Yellow Pine? If so, I do not remember seeing any at the Columbia hardwoods dealer. He has yellow poplar which is good for painted mouldings.

I do not honestly remember exactly what I paid for the last hardwood I bought from the Columbia area dealer. I remember his prices are never more than a dime a board foot different from the Charlotte area dealer - nothing to choose between the two price wise. It seems like oak and maple were between $3 and $4 a board foot with walnut and cherry more (maybe $5 and $7 respectively?). This is for 4/4 planned two sides. Thicker is more. He also had hickory, poplar and sometimes other things - had a bunch of ash for awhile but that seems to be gone now. Keeps baltic birch in 5x5 sheets on-hand. Had a bunch of 1/2 inch. Sometimes it seems like he rounds the board feet up a bit more than the Charlotte area dealer - but that may just be me not calculating things in my head right too.

Jim

Comment

• Ken Massingale
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Liberty, SC, USA.
                          • Ridgid TS3650

Thanks Jim, yep, Southern Yellow Pine.

Comment

Working...