• Show
Clear All
  • chalkhappens
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2007
    • Salt Lake City, Utah
    • Crafstman 21289 (soon)

Grizzly H6196 Professional 5 pc. Woodworking Kit

Is this a good deal? Since I am just getting started in the downward spiral of woodworking this kit appeals to me. All of these items would be new to me with the exception of the try-square (I think that is what it is called). What do you think.

http://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-H6196-...4357346&sr=1-1
    Last edited by chalkhappens; 03-19-2007, 09:29 PM. Reason: Bad image link.
    -Cory
    Will work for tools.
  • Hoover
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2003
    • USA.

Wow!!! Eighty dollars, I'm not feeling that this is such a good deal. The wood planes are the unknown quantity here. I haven't heard of anyone owning the planes. Truthfully, unless someone can say otherwise, I'd pass.
    Good hand tools, such as the other items pictured can be found reasonably priced on the web. You might want to try Lee Valley's website, Hartville Tool, Rockler's, Woodcraft, or some other wood purchasing site. Good luck with your search, and with some patience you will find a great deal. They are out there.
    No good deed goes unpunished

Comment

• Ken Massingale
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Liberty, SC, USA.
      • Ridgid TS3650

I received the same kit (offered by Hartville Tool at the time) a few years ago as a gift from LOML.
      I'd say the planes are o.k., they needed a lot of elbow grease to get the soles flat and the blades sharpened, but that was expected. I still use them. They are however, not high quality planes, but are functional. The other items are quite good and see a lot of use. Best I remember the price was about the same.

Comment

Working...