X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thestinker
    • Oct 2005
    • Fort Worth, TX, USA.

squares and triangles

I have a combo square and a speed square which are chepo big lots type quality. I know sterret makes top quality highly accurate stuff, but I don't have that kind of cash... What would be a good alternative for some triagles and squares to check the saw with and for making refernce lines and what not?

RS
    Awww forget trying to fix it!!!! Lets just drink beer
  • LinuxRandal
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Independence, MO, USA.
    • bt3100

I picked up an old (50's era box) Craftsman square. They appear to be made by General. Otherwise, do you need the ruler too?
    You can use drafting triangles. And places like Enco, have sales fairly regularly on their machinsts squares. A cheap protractor (school drafting supplies) and a bevel gauge.
    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• lcm1947
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2004
      • Austin, Texas
      • BT 3100-1

I have a 12", 6" and 3" from Woodpecker. Got them for Christmas. Dead accurate but I also have an old 6" that I bought from Lowe's or HD and it's just as accurate. Go figure?
      May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac

Comment

• whitecobra
        Established Member
        • Aug 2006
        • 3 Miles from Disney in Orlando
        • BT3K with most accessories

Don't' toss the baby out with the bath water
        FIRST check your set you might be fine
        Cost isn't' the issue here 40% are out of alignment (based on a survey in one of the wood type mags I read) but that leaves 60% to be quite accurate
        The biggest culprit are the adjustable ones
        If it is a simple triangle type it might very well be FINE and no reason to replace it
        I personally use some cheapies that I checked against my Starrett and found them to be fine so I use them in my aprons and my belt
        Test first then go to a store that has cheapies and Starrett and use one of the starrett's to test a cheapie and then pick one that is on the mark
        They are NOT all bad
        Dr D
        Newest site to learn woodworking, DIY and Home Renovation.
        www.onlineshopclass.com built by woodworkers for woodworkers and supported by the industry so everyone wins

If you are in the Orlando area contact me lets get together and talk saw dust (or food or anything else you like except sports)

My wife and I are National Food Judges so we CAN talk food with the best.

Dr Dave

Comment

• jackellis
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2003
          • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
          • BT3100

Drafting triangles that cost about $5-10 apiece at an art supply store work just fine for aligning tools. I have a 45-45-90 and a 30-60-90.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2005
            • Independence, MO, USA.
            • bt3100

For checking tools, see my previous post (like smaller stuff).

For layouts, I forgot rafter triangles. Also Craftsman has at least their 12" square on sale for $5.99. Check out #4 in this post as to how to check the squares. http://www.bt3central.com/showthread...ghlight=square
            She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• scorrpio
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2005
              • Wayne, NJ, USA.

Grizzly has measuring tools that I found very accurate and they are priced very well.

Comment

Working...