• Show
Clear All
  • Pakaderm
    Established Member
    • Jan 2004

Holbren Yellow Router Bits

What do we know about this set:

http://www.holbren.com/product.php?p...3&cat=0&page=1

How do these bits compare to the "normal" blue holbren bits? Is this truly a starter set that a Weekend Warrior will want to upgrade quickly, or will it last a while? I suppose you get what you pay for...

-Pak
  • ke4rdb
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2006
    • Mooresville, NC
    • Ridgid TS3650

I would contact Brian, he is totaly honest and will answer all your questions.

James
    Credidi me felem vidisse!

Comment

• Tom Slick
      Veteran Member
      • May 2005
      • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
      • sears BT3 clone

The difference I am seeing is in the carbide. yellow is C2 and blue is C3, the blue might be thicker also.
      Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• Knottscott
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2004
        • Rochester, NY.
        • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I haven't tried the yellow ones (unless they're the same as some of the other colors I've tried), but I see a nice mix of choices in the set. Brian's a straight up guy, so my guess is that the set is exactly as described, and he'll stand behind it.
        Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Holbren
          • Oct 2004
          • Heathrow, FL.

Those yellow ones are similar to the 24 piece sets of days past just the finish is nicer and you can get them in 1/2" shanks.

I'm going to run a deal to get rid of a bunch of them for $20 per set delivered to your door. I'll put it in bargain alerts too.

http://www.holbren.com/product.php?p...&cat=27&page=1
          Brian
          Holbren, Whiteside, LRH, Ridge, Tenryu, Norton
          "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
          www.holbren.com

Comment

• gravelybob
            Forum Newbie
            • Mar 2005
            • Camden, Ohio, USA.

The Holbren brand is new to me. The pricing is very attractive. How do they quality wise compared to Whiteside, Freud, Amana etc.,?

Comment

• jhart
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2004
              • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
              • BT3100

At less than $1.00 per bit, this is a heck of a deal!!! Just bought 2 sets, one of each shank. Tough to beat the price, even if they don't last as long as the more expensive ones.
              Joe
              "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• Pakaderm
                Established Member
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Holbren
                Those yellow ones are similar to the 24 piece sets of days past just the finish is nicer and you can get them in 1/2" shanks.

I'm going to run a deal to get rid of a bunch of them for $20 per set delivered to your door. I'll put it in bargain alerts too.

http://www.holbren.com/product.php?p...&cat=27&page=1
                Thanks a lot Brian!!! I'm glad I waited from buying a set yesterday!

-Pakaderm

Comment

• ragswl4
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Winchester, Ca
                  • C-Man 22114

Quality vs Price

These bits should not be compared to Whitside, Amana, Freud.....as they are not in the same league as the high end router bits. That said, this is a heck of a deal for 24 bits, delivered to you door. Probably same quality as HF bits or others you may see on Ebay. I have some Grizzly purple bits (their best) and they do not perform any better than some HF bits that I have. Go figure, probably came from the same factory.

IMO, for $20, get some.
                  RAGS
                  Raggy and Me in San Felipe
                  sigpic

Comment

• bthere
                    Established Member
                    • Jan 2007
                    • Alpharetta, GA

I think this is an outstanding deal for a starter set. If you don't have a very big collection already, its nice to have some to figure out what you will use. When I was first starting, I had no idea which bits to get, so I bought a relatively cheap set. It didn't take too long to figure out which 4 or 5 bits I used the most. As they get dull, you can then go and get a higher quality replacement.

The dull ones are still good to do the initial "hogging" portion of the cut. Then you can follow up with the sharp, high end bit to do the final finish. This saves wear and tear on the expensive bits. I still have and use most of that original starter set from time to time.

I wouldn't hesitate to get this set. As a matter of fact, I think I will. These will be good bits for my 17 year old son to practice with.

Comment

• LarryG
                      The Full Monte
                      • May 2004
                      • Off The Back
                      • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by bthere
                      The dull ones are still good to do the initial "hogging" portion of the cut.
                      Or for prototyping, or for rough-and-ready jigs and fixtures, or for routing crap materials like OSB. I use my budget bits for jobs like these and reserve my top-shelf bits for the cuts that really matter.

I just ordered a set of 1/2" shanks. Now I'm wondering why I didn't do as Joe did, and get one of each, so I'll have some more profiles in 1/4" shanks for the trim router I expect to buy before too much longer ...
                      Larry

Comment

• bthere
                        Established Member
                        • Jan 2007
                        • Alpharetta, GA

Originally posted by LarryG

I just ordered a set of 1/2" shanks. Now I'm wondering why I didn't do as Joe did, and get one of each, so I'll have some more profiles in 1/4" shanks for the trim router I expect to buy before too much longer ...
                        Same here. I think I'll go back and do that. I find myself reaching for the Bosch Colt more and more often. I guess I should keep it happy with new bits, too.

Comment

• jhart
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2004
                          • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                          • BT3100

That was the reason for my buying the 1/4 shank set, to use with my newer Bosch colt. Now I may need to actually make something instead of buying all the tool, accessories, etc.
                          Joe
                          "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

Working...