• Show
Clear All
  • D_Epler
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2003
    • Doha, Qatar (Persian Gulf)
    • Delta Unisaw (3 HP LT)

Lumber Grading and Sapwood...

Over on woodnet there have been some recent posts about ordering wood over the internet. One person was concerned about the amount of Sapwood on the boards in his order and wanted to know if this was normal.

Since I had some free time I did a little research that I thought I'd share here as well..

From Wall Lumber's web site:

Quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    GRADES:
    Select yields 83% or better - used where large clear cuttings are desired.
    Log Run - a random sample of grades just as it comes from the mill.
    1 common yields a minimum of 66% - excellent for most small to medium projects.
    2 common yields 50% - 70% - or better on small projects.
    Sap Wood is not considered a defect.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From Internet Lumber's web site:

Quote:
    Unless noted otherwise we only sell Selects, FAS, FAS1F, or FEQ general guidelines for each are listed below for a detailed summary of what the grading requirements are follow this link to the National Hardwood Lumber Association.

FAS – Highest grade 83-1/3% or better clear cuttings. 6” or wider, 8’ and longer in the rough. Some species allow for narrower boards and shorter lengths (Walnut and Cherry for example).

FEQ – First European Quality – Roughly equivalent to FAS

FAS 1F – FAS grading requirements are met on one face or one face and portion of the second. Second side must be #1 Common or better.

SELECTS – Selects are 4” and wider and 6’ and longer. Primary face grades FAS reverse side grades #1 common or better.

#1 Common – #1 common yields 66-1/3% or better in smaller (than FAS) clear cuttings, 3” and wider and 4’ and longer.

#2 Common - #2 Common yields 50% or better in small clear cuttings. Typically used for flooring and production furniture, or where component parts, and the required clear cuttings, are small.

** Sapwood is not considered a defect by the NHLA this is important to note when purchasing species such as American Cherry that have a highly contrasting sapwood. We note in the product description the approximate percentage (of one face) that will be sapwood free.

If you want info from the National Hardwood Lumber Association you can go to http://www.nhla.net or to get a PDF of the grading chart

http://www.nhla.net/pdf/standard_insp.pdf

or the entire rule book(in PDF format) is on this page:

http://www.nhla.net/inspection-rules.asp?userid=

Hopefully some folks here will find this information as useful as I did!

Dave
  • phrog
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2005
    • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Thanks

Thanks for the links, Dave. Useful info.
    Richard
    Richard

Comment

• Dagwood_55

But if this sapwood is stained and more stained than the %'s allow for that grade, it is a defect. You've also gotta remember, planed lumber is graded form the best side. But the 'off' side has to meet the next lower grade specs or the whole board will drop down a grade.

Comment

Working...