X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fiasco
    Established Member
    • Nov 2006

small shop bandsaw

I would like some recommendations for a bandsaw and fence for my small shop. $300ish range.
  • DonHo
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2004
    • Shawnee, OK, USA.
    • Craftsman 21829

Well "small shop" is relative, in my small (12' X 14') shop I have the Jet 12" mounted on a mobile cabinet. I got it for a little less than $300 from Amazon with free shipping a couple of years ago. I also have the Jet fence. It's worked great for me. If I had room for a larger saw I would rather have a larger saw but it's just not in the cards for me. The only problem with the Jet 12" is that it couldn't be modified with a riser block if I ever got more room, other than that it's a good solid built saw.

DonHo
    Don

Comment

• eddy merckx
      Established Member
      • Mar 2006
      • Western WA
      • Shop Fox Cabinet

I'm pretty happy with my Harbor Freight 14" bandsaw. They are very often on sale under $300. Combined with the 20% off coupon, they get closer to $225.

The HF is a bare bones 14" saw but has the same frame as many of the more expensive ones. They are apparently all made in the same factory, referred to as "Taiwan clones". There are nearly no plastic parts--mostly all steel and alloy. Mine runs very smoothly.

You will want to budget for Cool Blocks ( around $15) and a decent blade (around $20). You also need to make or buy a fence. I got a Kreg which works really well. HF has theirs for around $30. You'll probably want some kind of mobile base as well. HF also sell a riser block to get 12" height capacity for around $65.

Check it out. It is considered one of HF's better deals.

Eddy

Comment

• Crash2510
        • Feb 2006
        • North Central Ohio

not to hijack the thread, but I am also looking to buy a bandsaw and was wondering, of the HF and the Ridgid, which is a better bandsaw
        Phil In Ohio
        The basement woodworker

Comment

• Alex Franke
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2007
          • Chapel Hill, NC
          • Ryobi BT3100

I have the Grizzly G0555 and I absolutely love it. It's probably a bit more than $300, but I think well worth it if you san swing it.
          online at http://www.theFrankes.com
          while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
          "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• bthere
            Established Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Alpharetta, GA

If you watch CL and local want ads, you can find bargains on 14" bandsaws. Jet, Delta, Grizzly, Ridgid and others make very good saws. The 14" is a proven design that has been copied for 60+ years and is the most common size found in home shops.
            Having used a Ryobi 9" and Craftsman 12", I can say the step up to the Jet 14" is nothing I regret.

Comment

• eddy merckx
              Established Member
              • Mar 2006
              • Western WA
              • Shop Fox Cabinet

Crash--I think you pretty much get what you pay for with bandsaws. The 14 inch saws using a cast iron frame are mostly made at the same factory in Taiwan. The distributor decides what the saw will cost and that decision dictates how many bells and whistles it gets. The HF is the lowest cost version--no hinges on the doors, funky power switch, crude blade guides. The more expensive versions like Ridgid and Grizzly have better thought out details. As you keep moving up the food chain, you get nicer fences, quick release blade tensioners and bigger motors.

The bottom line is that they all cut wood just fine. The thing that really matters is setting the saw up correctly and getting a decent blade.

Eddy

Comment

• Alex Franke
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2007
                • Chapel Hill, NC
                • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by eddy merckx
                The thing that really matters is setting the saw up correctly and getting a decent blade.
                I second that -- this is excellent advice!
                online at http://www.theFrankes.com
                while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
                "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• Tundra_Man
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Sioux Falls, SD, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Alex Franke
                  I have the Grizzly G0555 and I absolutely love it. It's probably a bit more than $300, but I think well worth it if you san swing it.
                  +1

And my shop is 12 x 12, so you can make it fit.
                  Terry

Life's too short to play an ordinary guitar: Tundra Man Custom Guitars

Comment

• drumpriest
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2004
                    • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                    • Powermatic PM 2000

I have the 14" craftsman, and like it a lot. The 12" is in that price range. Or you can go with a cast frame BS. At 300$, I'd either go with the 12" euro style craftsman or look for a good used one.

Once you have one, a mobile base will allow you to best use the space, and tuning it up with a good blade is important regardless of what saw you have.
                    Keith Z. Leonard
                    Go Steelers!

Comment

• lrr
                      Established Member
                      • Apr 2006
                      • Fort Collins, Colorado
                      • Ryobi BT-3100

Originally posted by fiasco
                      I would like some recommendations for a bandsaw and fence for my small shop. $300ish range.
                      Unless you are talking big 18-20" bandsaws, the footprint is about the same on everything up to a 14". First, rule out a benchtop model. I have a small Delta, and it is really great for cutting small wood items, such as for RC planes, but totally ill-suited for woodworking. And rule out a 12" model, almost as big as the 14", and takes as much floorspace, and blade width is less, so resawing will not be that great (assuming that might be a reason to have a bandsaw for you).

For $300, I'd go Grizzly, although you'll have to spend a little more than that. I came rally close to getting one of their 14" midrange models, thinking I'd add on the extras later. What did I do? I bought the Powermatic 14", since it is on rebate now (and riser kit is included free), and has a 1.5 HP 110V/220V motor, nice rip fence, miter gauge, and the Carter Tension Release. It was $799 after rebate, and the local Woodcraft had it in stock. They also did not charge me shipping, which is unusual. This weighed heavily in my decision. LOML was even with me when I got it -- we put it in her minivan. Wow, I'm a lucky guy! Of course, I'm on the hook for plenty more home projects ...

I just set it up a few days ago, so I have only run a few cuts, but it is a superb machine.

I am at a point in my life, though, where I do not want to compromise on anything, and decided to get the best 14" model I could. Good luck on your decision, since there are many good models to choose from.
                      Last edited by lrr; 03-01-2007, 01:04 AM.
                      Lee

Comment

Working...