• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I agree with those who don't think Norm is a world class master wwer. I agree....heck, he'd probably agree, but it's worth noting that he was never a wwer when he got started on the NYWS. Norm was a carpenter on TOH and essentially evolved wwing from his carpentry skills to satisfy a request from the producers. What I do like about Norm is that many of the projects are approachable for average hacks like me, and his explanations are usually pretty simple and logical. He's a little dry but at least "he's" not the focus of the show...the workpiece is, plus I enjoy seeing all those power toys. I still enjoy watching when I get a chance, and he'll always be a sentimental favorite b/c he was the only game in town for a long time.

Fame and skill are independent of each other....(think Bob Vila!), but I do think Norm qualifies as an "excellent" wwer, and his stuff is well built and attractive IMHO.

David Marks is still young and contributes alot to the industry. His star is still rising. He does quite a few demonstrations and appearances, and almost to a person, the people who've met him comment on how friendly and down to earth he is. By the time he retires I suspect he'll have left quite a chisel mark on the industry.
    Last edited by Knottscott; 02-22-2007, 06:51 AM.
    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• guycox
      Established Member
      • Dec 2003
      • Romulak, VA, USA.

How about Roy Underhill from the Woodwright's Shop? He is truly amazing. Not only does he only use hand tools, he could make most of them.
      Guy Cox

Life isn\'t like a box of chocolates...it\'s more like a jar of jalapenos.
      What you do today, might burn your butt tomorrow.

Comment

• os1kne
        • Jan 2003
        • Atlanta, GA
        • BT3100

While I don't think that Norm is as skilled a woodworker as the others, I do think that he has done tremendous good for woodworking. I know that I probably wouldn't have gotten inspired to try woodworking if it wasn't for Norm and his manner of simplifying things - and I suspect that there are thousands of others like me in that regard.

David Marks has very impressive skills, but I just don't feel as inspired by his show.

In short, they are all great and have different qualities that will appeal to each person differently.
        Bill

Comment

• LarryG
          The Full Monte
          • May 2004
          • Off The Back
          • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

What, Bruce Johnson didn't make your list?

Another thing that complicates the choice, which I don't think anyone has mentioned yet, is the difficulty of separating a candidate's ability as a designer from his ability as a woodworker. Considering these men as designers, I'd rate Krenov at the top (but I really don't know enough about Klausz) and from looking at the pictures of his work, it's clear that he knows his way around a workshop, too. Nahm rates at the bottom in this regard: most of his projects are stand-off reproductions of antiques (NTTAWWT). But as others have mentioned, thanks to the power of television he's probably done more to make woodworking accessible to a wide, lay audience than anyone who's ever lived.

If I had to vote, I'd probably go with David Marks, if only from a standpoint of how I have been influenced in my own shop. I like most (not all, but most) of his designs and I like the way he works wood. He strikes a nice balance between power and hand tools, with more variety in his joinery than Abram.

All in all, I wouldn't pass up the chance to spend an afternoon apprenticing under any of these guys.
          Larry

Comment

• cranbrook2
            Established Member
            • Nov 2005
            • Belgrave ont., Canada.
            • KING INDUSTRIAL KC10-CCX

I think by far this guy holds the record for best woodworker in the world.
            Livio Demarchi
            It doesn,t get any better then this.
            http://www.liviodemarchi.com/
            Last edited by cranbrook2; 02-22-2007, 10:00 AM.
            John in Belgrave ont.
            www.extremebirdhouse.com

http://www.facebook.com/groups/112698715866/

Comment

• rlah
              Forum Newbie
              • Dec 2006
              • Indiana
              • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by Dustmight
              David Marks is still young and contributes alot to the industry. His star is still rising. He does quite a few demonstrations and appearances, and almost to a person, the people who've met him comment on how friendly and down to earth he is. By the time he retires I suspect he'll have left quite a chisel mark on the industry.
              I'm not the judge of the greatest - I've only been doin' this for 11 months... but I do agree with this about David Marks... I've been avidly watching him for about 5-6 months and have picked up so many good tips. I spent the money on a 10-20 drum sander because I saw what he did with this tool... and I am so glad I did -- I don't worry about figured wood anymore.

We just recently started watching Norm as we now can get him over our satellite feed - I enjoy Norm's show but am aghast at his use of the brad/staple/pin nailer.

Unfortunately it appears that David Marks' WoodWorks show is no longer being produced new so it seems all we have are about 3 years of reruns - I think 2002 - 2005. Wish he would continue with more...

rlah

Comment

• LarryG
                The Full Monte
                • May 2004
                • Off The Back

Originally posted by rlah
                Unfortunately it appears that David Marks' WoodWorks show is no longer being produced new so it seems all we have are about 3 years of reruns - I think 2002 - 2005.
                That is correct; DIY Network decided not to renew his contract, alas.

FYI in case you are recording the shows, there are seven series of 13 episodes each, for a total of 91 in all. Plans for selected WoodWorks projects are available for purchase on DJM's personal website; downloadable cut lists are available for free.
                Larry

Comment

• BigguyZ
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2006
                  • Minneapolis, MN
                  • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

I agree that this topic is impossible to authoritatively decide. There are so many styles of furniture that it's hard to say one WWer is better than another if they do different things. Norm does a lot of American styles, while David Marks pulls a lot of inspiration from Egypt and Asian influences. Different styles, so who can say one is better than the other?

Off topic- when was Davids show canceled? It seems that DIY is playing/ promoting his show a fair amount to have it canceled...

And- what's so bad with Norm's use of nailers?

Comment

• LarryG
                    The Full Monte
                    • May 2004
                    • Off The Back

Originally posted by BigguyZ
                    Off topic- when was Davids show canceled? It seems that DIY is playing/ promoting his show a fair amount to have it canceled...
                    My memory for such things is always suspect, but I want to say it's been right at two years since the last new episodes aired.

Now that DIY has the shows "in the can," they can run them again and again for little or nothing. They may or may not have to pay royalties to DJM but they obviously don't have any additional production costs. From a brutal, bottom-line standpoint, they have 91 half-hours of cheap filler for a network with programming that comprises, for the most part, filler.

I think woodworking shows are a little different than a lot of DIY-type shows. The projects can and will vary but the basic techniques remain the same, and the shows start going back over familiar ground. This is not to say that a dedicated audience like the members of this forum wouldn't eagerly watch each new show, but even we would have to admit that there comes a time when we need to shut off the TV and get out into the shop and start practicing what we've learned. Over the last couple years, even the legs of the long-running The New Yankee Workshop are starting to show signs of tiring.

And- what's so bad with Norm's use of nailers?
                    Some object on purist grounds: the antique originals weren't held together with brads, so brads don't belong in a reproduction. But most object because he shoots the d*mn things in highly visible locations, typically in the most elaborate trim where the eye will first be drawn!
                    Last edited by LarryG; 02-22-2007, 11:58 AM.
                    Larry

Comment

• Black wallnut
                      cycling to health
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                      • BT3k 1999

There are many different styles and trying to pick one style over another is subjective for sure. Personally I believe that carving is just a very small form of woodworking in itself. I do not consider those that mainly carve as "the best" thinking this is more art than woodworking. To me woodworking involves flat and round work, inlays and inletting, mixing species of wood that seems pleasing to the eyes, acheiving beauty (in the eyes of the beholder) while preserving function and utility.

I also think that to acheive mastery of woodwork one should be able to either copy others ideas and projects or be able to fill a need of their own. Just by looking at a peice and taking a few measurements recreating a piece. Starting with an idea and a scratch pad or these days a mouse pad and CAD program and designing something from the ground up. Master several forms of joinery, use a viriety of finishing techniques.

Project selection, imitation, and the ability to teach others is where IMHO NOrm Abrams really shines. Like others I do not believe Norm to be anywhere close to being in the class of "Best." I do think he has a lot to offer and I have learned many things from watching him. I for one do not have problems with Norms over use of brads, but I do not use many in my work. Roy Underhill is in some ways IMHO a more accomplished WWer than Norm, doing what he does with only handtools is simply amazing. David marks is a true master IMHO, sometime to artsy for my tastes but he does a viriety of things very well, uses many differing techniques and tools.
                      Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• drumpriest
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2004
                        • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                        • Powermatic PM 2000

Honestly, I think my biggest objection to Norm is that he pretty much does nothing but replication. Sure you learn some things along the way, but some new creative designs would be refreshing.
                        Keith Z. Leonard
                        Go Steelers!

Comment

Working...