• Show
Clear All
  • LarryG
    The Full Monte
    • May 2004
    • Off The Back
    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by kevincan
    I don't know if it accepts standard Porter-Cable style guide bushings.
    Well, it's possible I spoke too quickly, I guess. I took a look at the base plate and saw what certainly appeared to be the standard 1-3/16" stepped hole required for P-C style bushings. But I didn't put a rule on it, so maybe it was some other size.

I seriously doubt it, though ... the P-C size is the defacto standard, and there are many companies besides P-C that make the bushings so there are no patent issues. My own set is from Milwaukee, for example, and my Makita and DeWalt routers all came standard with base plates to accept them.

Still, it's a point that a potential buyer ought to verify.
    Last edited by LarryG; 02-09-2007, 08:47 AM.
    Larry

Comment

• wade78
      Forum Newbie
      • Feb 2007
      • Corona, CA
      • Craftsman 21829

So I took the plunge and ordered this router today. It is 10% off, plus there is a 10% rebate available. Pretty good deal.

Comment

• ofna89
        Established Member
        • Dec 2006
        • Portland Maine

Hey Wade how did you get the 10% off deals, is it only when ordering it online?

Comment

• wade78
          Forum Newbie
          • Feb 2007
          • Corona, CA
          • Craftsman 21829

There is an automatic 10% off on purchases up to $299 for online purchases.

Comment

• jonathan55
            Established Member
            • Jun 2005
            • Cleveland, Ohio, USA.
            • BT3100

Does it fit the holes in the BT3 built in router table?

Comment

• djkert
              Forum Newbie
              • Dec 2006

Has anyone actually used this router? I've been wanting to pick it up but I was waiting for an actual review or two.

I also was wondering if it fits the holes in the 21289. I just bought a hitachi combo kit which does not fit the holes and I thought I can save some money and save myself from having to drill holes in my table by returning the hitachi and getting this router instead.

Comment

• kevincan
                Established Member
                • Oct 2006
                • Central Illinois
                • Craftsman 21829

This router will bolt right on the Sears 21289. I have this router and the fixed base is bolted on the router table right now. I have only had a chance to really use it one time. I used to make some 3/4" grooves to make a router table jig. This is my 1st router but I am happy with its performance so far.

I just moved and hope to start putting this router to use very soon.

Kevin

Comment

• ofna89
                  Established Member
                  • Dec 2006
                  • Portland Maine

Like Kevincan said this does bolt up to the router table in my 21829 with no problems.

Comment

• herb fellows
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2007
                    • New York City
                    • bt3100

An earlier post mentioned that this has above the table adjusting. I don't see that listed on the package in Sears. Have you tried it and found that to be the case or...? Seen elsewhere:

it will take on the PC template guide steel or brass,if you mount the base in a router table you can use a Allen Hex Key to (T-Type Allen Hex Key) move it up or down from the top side of the router table via. a small 1/4" hole in the router base plate and the router table base plate or you can do it from the bottom side as well.
                    Last edited by herb fellows; 11-01-2007, 10:51 PM. Reason: incomplete info
                    You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• rmcjh
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Oct 2003
                      • Waxahachie, Texas, USA.

Router

I would rather buy the Freud 3.25 hp from Peachtree for the same dollars.

Roger
                      roger

Comment

• siliconbauhaus
                        • Dec 2006
                        • hagerstown, md

I'm pretty sure this is the same router that was reviewed at
                        http://www.routerforums.com/general-...bo-review.html

I got mine for $90 and with the exception of having to drill a hole in my bosch table mounting plate it's perfect.

On a side note they have a new cman pro palm router at sears that looks comparable to the bosch.
                        パトリック
                        daiku woodworking
                        ^deshi^
                        neoshed

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                          Veteran Member
                          • Nov 2005
                          • York, PA, USA.

I have to say that this whole new line up of Craftsman routers are pretty decent. I have not used one yet however I have fondled them quite a bit waiting for wifey at the mall. This kit, the new "Pro" red 3 base kit, the fixed only and the plunge only all seem very decent. I am thinking about picking up a fixed only just to try it out. LED, all dust collection fittings, clear base, etc seem to be rather nice.

Comment

• drumpriest
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2004
                            • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                            • Powermatic PM 2000

Is it just me, or does it look a bit like the new Ridgid router kit??
                            Keith Z. Leonard
                            Go Steelers!

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                              Veteran Member
                              • Nov 2005
                              • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by drumpriest
                              Is it just me, or does it look a bit like the new Ridgid router kit??
                              It's just you. LOL!

Ridgid seems to be way different. Handles, magnesium bases, cord, plunge columns, etc are all different.

Anyone happen to figure out if this is a PC opening in the sub base?

Comment

• foleylink

Sub-Base Match Bosch, PC, Makita, Milwaukee, etc?

Does anyone know if the sub-base for these new Craftsman routers match the sub-base plates from better-known routers such as Bosch, Porter-Cable, DeWalt, Makita, Milwaukee, etc? I'd like to purchase a couple of new items (router table mounting plate and an offset sub-base) for this router, and I'd like to order them from the manufacturer pre-drilled for the mounting screws.

I purchased the red, fixed base, 2-1/4 HP model and, so far, I am happy with it. I don't claim to be an expert but I have been using routers for 20 years for a variety of simple and mid-range projects. In the past, my routers have included a PC 690 with multiple bases, and a DeWalt 2-1/4 HP fixed base unit. I think this unit compares favorably, especially when you consider the price differential. My only though might be that it probably wouldn't stand up as well over time as models from Bosch, Milwaukee, DeWalt, etc. in a full-tilt production shop environment.

Comment

Working...