• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ofna89
    Established Member
    • Dec 2006
    • Portland Maine

Router purchase

Looking to buy a router but never have owned one so not familiar with what to look for. Would like to get both a plunge and fixed base. Mostly will be mounted in TS. Can anyone recommened one? Thanks
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

I recently bought the Bosch 1617EVSPKE. That's the all-singing, all-dancing 2-1/2 hp kit with two bases, nice edge guide, bushings, dust collection, etc. It's regularly on Amazon for $219, and sometimes as low as ~$170.

This is a nice router. Strong, variable speed with speed regulation. Easy to move the motor from base to base. Plunge mechanism is smooth.

With the whole EVSPKE package it's good deal.

JR
    JR

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

You are going to get as many recommendations as ther eare dual base kits out there. Hitachi, Porter Cable, DeWalt, Bosch and a few others all make good kits with similar features. Decide what you need in a router. To spin the big bits like paised panel bits you need at least 2 1/2 HP. VAriable speed and soft start are 2 things I wouldn't be with out on a new router.

Since you will be using it hand held part of the time, visit a tool dealer and get your hands on the different models/brands or, better yet, try to get hands on exerience in a friends shop. Pay attention to the comfort in your hands and ease of getting to the controls. Go with the one that feels the most natural in your hands.
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• Stormbringer
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2005
        • Floral Park, NY
        • Bosch 4000

Read some of the gazillion posts on this forum that discuss this very question. Hit Barnes and Noble and check out some router books (ie Bill Hylton's popular Woodworking with the Router") or Tauntons new one. Better yet, see if your library has some and then buy the one you think will benefit you the best. Then you'll know the terminology and what it is your looking for when you see them first hand.

You can't go wrong with any of the popular ones from the big names. read the reviews on Amazon too. I feel safe saying that the current top two have to be the DeWalt 618 and the Bosch 1617. I have the DeWalt three base kit and love the versitality and interchangabilty of the three bases (plunge, D-handle, fixed). The Bosch has a large following too. I like the look of Ridgids combo offering and the Triton two in one entry looks very attractive too. There are also several fixed base models out there that are great too but since your looking combo, we won't go there.

Bottom line, you probably should buy whatever you can great deal on...and there are deals.

Best,
        Greg
        Last edited by Stormbringer; 02-03-2007, 10:54 PM.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2005
          • Independence, MO, USA.
          • bt3100

With multiple bases, you can leave one mounted in your table saw.
          On the other hand, the Triton does look impressive. I actually got to handle one today (they were going fast at the wood show). Does anyone know what their bolt patern is, anyone (RayintheUK).

Go out and handle them and see what feels the best for you. Routers are like planes, you don't end up with just one, you just start out that way.
          She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• drumpriest
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2004
            • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
            • Powermatic PM 2000

I currently have both the PC 892 and Bosch 1617EVSPKE, as well as the ryobi 3 base kit. The Bosch is my favorite of those, by a fairly large margin.

The plunge base is fantastic, otherwise it and the PC are pretty similar, variable speed, soft start, both 1/4 and 1/2 inch collets, etc...
            Keith Z. Leonard
            Go Steelers!

Comment

• ofna89
              Established Member
              • Dec 2006
              • Portland Maine

Thanks for all the replies. Anyone have an opinion on any of the Craftsman routers?

Comment

• leehljp
                Just me
                • Dec 2002
                • Tunica, MS
                • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by ofna89
                Thanks for all the replies. Anyone have an opinion on any of the Craftsman routers?
                Routers are generally a tool that will be around a looong time. Some Sears routers can and will last a lifetime in a home workshop. I have two 1/4 inch Sears that are 25+ year old. They work just as good today as they did when they were new. BUT, it is obvious the quality difference of my 10 year old Porter Cable over the Sears. The feel of it running and cutting is just different, much better. The Sears feels like a home workshop router. The ones listed below feel like the difference when moving from a Ford to a Lincoln or Cad, and it is not just a superficial feel either.

Bosch, Milwaukee, DeWalt, PC, Hitachi, Freud, Triton - those are a step above, and for something you will be using 10 to 20 years from now, IMHO, it is usually well worth the difference in price to get one of these over a Sears branded router.

Came back to edit in a couple of words and deleted half of my post

The Sears will do you well if you only do occasional routing and woodworking is not your main full time hobby. If you think you will be into woodworking a long time, go for the ones listed above. As an analogy, I make 5 to 10 pens a month and have two mediocre lathes, both respected but not up to serious turning. Most turners recommend the Jet as minimum and a OneWay if one is very serious. For as little as I turn, I don't need the serious lathes. The same for the router. IF this is the case for you, a Sears might do you well.
                Last edited by leehljp; 02-04-2007, 08:11 AM.
                Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2005
                  • Independence, MO, USA.
                  • bt3100

Unless a good reason, stick with a brand name.

Craftsman is a rebrander. Sometimes you can see a bargin, other times, you pay more for their name. This:

Craftsman Professional 2-1/4 hp 12 amp Variable Speed Router Kit
                  Sears item #00926620000 Mfr. model #1617-12

IS a Bosch 1617 rebranded. You can get it at some of Sears parts stores, refurbished for $120. Early Decembers CC days (craftsman club), had it on sale ($170 if I remember right).
                  If you already have a TON of Craftsman bushings, etc, etc, then it might be worth it. (my fathers case, 30 years of Craftsman accessories)
                  As is, it's on closeout now, for $199 and is more, then the Bosch goes on sale for fairly regularly.
                  She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Knottscott
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2004
                    • Rochester, NY.
                    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by ofna89
                    The CMan 1617 that LinuxRandal mentioned is the only Sears router I'd suggest. There are lots of great plunge/fixed base kit choices from the big names...PC, Freud, Makita, Bosch, Milwaukee, Hitachi, DW, Ridgid, Triton... most are in the 2hp range, which is adequate for most tasks and still small enough for hand use. You should be able to find a good deal on one of those on any given day.

AFAIK, the Freud and Triton have the most above table features...something to consider for a table mounted router. The Freud has easy one handed above table bit changes, above table height adjust, and above table height lock...all are really convenient in a table.

Whichever you choose, just be sure it has variable speed in case you want to spin a big bit.

Shopping.com is a leading price comparison site that allows you shop online for the best deals and lowest prices. You can read unbiased product reviews and compare prices online. Online shopping has never been as easy!

Last edited by Knottscott; 02-04-2007, 07:34 AM.
                    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Ken Massingale
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Liberty, SC, USA.
                      • Ridgid TS3650

Pap and Hank said all that's needed.
                      ken

Comment

• JimD
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2003
                        • Lexington, SC.

In terms of features, besides the variable speed that has been mentioned, you also want both 1/4 and 1/2 collets (not a reducer for a 1/2 inch collet and not only a 1/4 collet).

I like my 2 PC690s - the older PC model that is still available. It is not as nice as the 890s, it has a little smaller motor and does not have a special base that allows height adjustment from above the table. If you can find it at a good price, however, it is a good workhorse router. The plunge base works well and I like the turn method of depth adjustment but others do not. One of those reasons it is nice to see one before you buy.

Jim

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                          Veteran Member
                          • Nov 2005
                          • York, PA, USA.

If you are looking for a fixed base and a plunge base combo I think the Bosch 1617EVSPKE is the way to go, though as noted the DeWalt 618 combo is fine as well. Most magazine ratings have the Bosch and DeWalt running neck and neck, though most have not included the newer PC 895 in the mix. I have 2 of the Bosch 1617EVSPKE kits and one DeWalt 618 3 base units (though I did sell off the unused bases of each kit). I have to say that the Bosch would be the best IMHO, particularly the plunge base aspect.

Others mention the Triton and I just started using the Trition 3.25 unit. It is a more powerful unit, however it is plunge only. If you were looking for a plunge only, then I may have to give this the thumbs up. It has some pretty awesome features. A recent review said the controls had a steep learning curve. I think that is absurd. This thing was really easy to figure out and the coarse and fine adjustments are killer. It does have a safety switch feature that I don't like when installed in a table but that is the only thing I have disliked thus far. Oh, and I would not like the 1/4" collet reducer if I planed on using it with 1/4" bits, which I never will.

I would let price be the deciding factor between the Bosch 1617 and the DeWalt 618.

Comment

• Hoakie
                            Established Member
                            • Feb 2007
                            • Iowa
                            • Craftsman 21829

Im resurrecting this post to ask a few questions as I'm currently looking at getting a router to dedicate to my table (yet to build)

1) Are the PC 890 series as bad as the reviews it's gotten on Rockler/Amazon or have most of these problems been fixed in the recall?

2) Is the Freud 1700 a solid purchase (I can get it at Lowes for $149 right now) I really would like to have the above the table features without spending another couple hundred on a lift.

3) I noticed the Bosch 1617 dual kit at Lowes had above the table height adjust. I assume you need to still remove router to change bit?

Thanks in advance.

John
                            Last edited by Hoakie; 04-28-2007, 09:06 AM.
                            John
                            To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. ~ Edison

Comment

• JR
                              The Full Monte
                              • Feb 2004
                              • Eugene, OR
                              • BT3000

Originally posted by Hoakie
                              3) I noticed the Bosch 1617 dual kit at Lowes had above the table height adjust. I assume you need to still remove router to change bit?
                              I have the 1617 dual base kit. The above-table adjustment is of dubious value because you still have to reach below the table to release the motor before adjusting. I like the router a lot, but don't buy it for that feature.

Yes, you still need to remove the router to change bits.

JR
                              JR

Comment

Working...