Clear All
  • footprintsinconc
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2006
    • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
    • BT3100

rough lumber - PHX AZ

hello everyone!

for those of you who live is phoenix and the surrounding area, where are you getting your rough lumber from?

i am planning on getting started on a few projects here and wanted to buy rough lumber that everyone talks about in this website. from what i understand, the lumber that i have been getting from 'woordoworkers source' or 'rocker' is not rough lumber, that is why they are expensive. the lumber they sell is pretty much S2S at least. just need to remove a max of 1/32 or 1/16 to get it to 3/4".

if you can tell me where you get your wood and what the rate is, it will help me when i go to get some wood in the coming weeks.

regads,
    • Jun 2003
    • Fishkill, NY
    • bt 3100

My two main sources:

Timber woodworking in Tempe on southern near mesa drive
    480-926-2131
    Chandler hardwoods near Chandler Muni Airport
    480-802-0429

Prices vary greatly but should be about 1/2 of what you pay at Rockler.

Bill
    "Why are there Braille codes on drive-up ATM machines?"

Comment

• footprintsinconc
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2006
      • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
      • BT3100

hi,

thanks for the two sources. i am surprised that they are half what rockler is. i had actually visited both places before i bought some wood from woodworkers source. i bought 4/4 red oak, and both of the places price was within cents of what i paid at woodworkers source on elliot & kyrene. infact, while i was at chandler hardwood, they owner said that we run about 10cents cheaper than woodworkers.

did you buy like large quantities, or had a special order? is the lumber your getting realy rough on all sides, or are the top and bottom faces of the board planed already and all you have to do is use a thickness planer and plane 1/16" off to get 3/4" board?

where do you live in chandler. i live just across from chandler municipal airport (west side) on gilbert between queen creek/germaan.

Comment

• bmyers
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2003
        • Fishkill, NY
        • bt 3100

Chandler hardwoods is under new mgmt so prices may have gone up since I've been there. They have more exotic stuff, or at least thats what I buy there. Purple heart, yellow heart, spalted stuff, 6/4 oak. That kind of thing. They used to give you a little discount is you were buying more than 100 bft. Dunno if they still do.

Timber is good cause I'm sort of friends with some of the guys there. They have lots of "cut-off" bins and shorts that I get and get pretty cheap. I mostly by my maple there. Timber used to buy their exotics from Chandler hardwoods. I dunno now. Also the guy that owns Timbers' son is into selling wood out of a industrial complex in Tempe, he undercuts his dad by a few dimes perhaps.

Woodworkers is ok when something is on sale. They have different exotics than the other two and more big turning pieces. The charge premium prices for premium woods. Expensive, but nice stuff.

HD: A few have "cull" bins in the area Cntry Club & 60/Alma & Chandler in particular. Melemine, MDF and other sheet cut-offs can be had there for $2 a piece.

Lowes: has piles our front of the contractor entrance that you can get cheap sometimes too. Mostly twisted pine that can be used for something.

MaxParot lives in Mesa. HEY MAX, Where do you go for wood?

Bill
        Last edited by bmyers; 02-03-2007, 10:07 PM.
        "Why are there Braille codes on drive-up ATM machines?"

Comment

• LowerUnit
          Forum Newbie
          • Dec 2006
          • Glendale, Az

It seems you you east valley people have some better resources. I too am looking for a good wood source and am up around Bell & 17. Any input or are you familiar with Spellman Hardwoods at all?

Noticed a guy selling quilted maple on craigslist, but don't know how good of a deal it is. http://phoenix.craigslist.org/tls/272747782.html

Any more input is welcomed. Thanks.

Comment

Working...