Lapping sole of chisel - holding flat tips?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • naubur
    Forum Newbie
    • Jun 2006

Lapping sole of chisel - holding flat tips?

I recently tried the sandpaper method of sharpening on an old toolbox chisel that was in poor condition and was amazed with the results. Now I want to do my brand new Lee Valley chisels, but I have 2 questions:

1 - are there any tips for holding narrow chisels flat while lapping the back?

2 - For the micro bevel do I only do a few strokes on the final paper, or with the last few grit levels?

j
  • SARGE..g-47

Good morning from Atlanta J..

(1) Hold the chisel handle firmly in one hand and press down on the up side with your fingers while stroking to and fro.
    And to answer the question of how can I get it flat as the handle will interfere?
    The answer is it won't interfere. Slide your glass backing plate (or whatever surface you have attached you sandpaper too) next to the edge of your work-bench. Now the chisel handle is off the table surface altogether. And.. and.. you don't have to flatten the entire back. 1"-2" is sufficient. You would have to grind..hone.. or touch-up a new edge a number of years before you reach the point of going beyond 2". When and if you do.. then sit down and flatten another 1"-2".

(2) When you add the micro-bevel, you are opening new metal that has not see day-light at that point. You will have to travel through most of the grits to open the new additional edge. You might get away with not using the courser of the coursest, depends on how good the steel is. You will just have to experiment to get a final answer to that one. Regardless.. when you reach the point you don't see grind marks from the last grit used.. you be done after you strop off the wire edge remaining!

Regards and enjoy...
    Last edited by Guest; 01-30-2007, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Working...