• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ssmith1627
    • Dec 2005
    • Corryton, TN, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3100

Plywood Moisture Content

After some good recommendations from the group here, I ordered the Lignomat E/D moisture meter and received it last week. Now I've got to learn to actually use the thing !

I'm currently trying to build a bed out of maple from some plans in Wood magazine. I was worried what I'd find in the maple I had as far as moisture but it all seems fine. Anywhere from 7-9% moisture content so I feel ok with it.

The curious part is the maple plywood. I bought it about a month ago and it's been in my shop ever since. One short end was on the concrete floor and I've put an end to that -- obviously a bad idea. The maple had been stored the same way though. Can you accurately measure the content in plywood ? Is that handled differently ? This plywood reads about 17%. Other misc. pieces of regular plywood and some oak plywood I have read much lower.

I've cut a couple pieces for the rails that run between the headboard legs and they're pretty well warped (bowed).

Appreciate any insight you guys can offer.

Thanks,
    Steve
  • ssmith1627
    • Dec 2005
    • Corryton, TN, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3100

Was this just a dumb question ?

Steve

Comment

• MikeMcCoy
      • Nov 2004
      • Moncks Corner, SC, USA.
      • Delta Contractor Saw

It's not a dumb question but a lot of folks that viewed it might have had the same reaction I did. I've never even considered moisture content in ply.

Comment

• ssmith1627
        • Dec 2005
        • Corryton, TN, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3100

I hadn't either really but now that I have the meter, of course I had to test it.

Just wasn't sure what a good content was.....the reading I got was high -- and if I could expect it to come down over time. I guess I thought with plywood it would already be at a low level but maybe the testing isn't valid with the meter.

So yeah, like most of the rest of this hobby -- I don't really have a clue what I'm doing.....haha.

Steve

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2005
          • York, PA, USA.

Yes, you can measure plywood, MDF, etc.

You could have a few different factors here.

1) You could be using the wrong wood group on the moisture meter ie, just because its Walnut ply, the interior you are measuring is still laminates of a different wood.

2) Temperature adjustment made?

3) Have you tested on all sides and edges? Is it possible that the end of the plywood soaked up moisture from being on the concrete?

Comment

Working...