X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pcombs
    Forum Newbie
    • Aug 2006

Best Natural Bristle Brush for Brushing Lacquer

I am looking to apply brushing lacquer on a book shelf I am finishing and wondering, what is the best name brand natural bristle brush that you have used for this application?

I will be using Deft Clear Wood finish, unthinned
  • Cheeky
    • Nov 2006
    • westchester cty, new york
    • Ridgid TS2400LS

I use an old Corona brand brush (same favorite brand brush for cuttin in when I paint).

They have a great lifetime warranty too, they replaced one for me at no charge.

BTW, IMO, the Deft spray lacquer is nice too.
    Pete

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

When I have to brush lacquer I use a badger hair brush. This is not the the time to buy cheap. They work great if you keep them clean.

A THING OF BEAUTY IS A JOY FOREVER - John Keats

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2005
        • York, PA, USA.

I use a regular old off the shelf Purdy synthetic bristle brush. I find that this stuff flows out so well that the quality of the brush was not that big of a deal. You need a decent, clean brush that won't loose bristles etc but IMHO nothing that expensive. The key to brushing lacquer is using a pretty heavy coat and "flowing" it on. For a large surface I will do the edges first, a little wider than the brush. Then I will start a few inches from the edge and work to the other side with one long stroke.
        Be sure to use this stuff in a well ventilated area. The solvents in this stuff are very tough on your lungs, etc. Unless of course you are using the new waterborne Deft Clear Finish.

Comment

Working...