• Show
Clear All
  • Ed62
    The Full Monte
    • Oct 2006
    • NW Indiana
    • BT3K

Dust masks, hearing protection, and glasses

This question is for those of you who wear glasses. I can no longer see things clearly if they're close up without the aid of glasses. So I always wear them in the shop. For quite some time, I've had a problem finding a good dust mask and hearing protection that are comfortable, do the job, and do not interfere with my glasses. The dust mask interferes with my glasses (but I struggle through it), and while the hearing protection is OK, I'm not totally satisfied with the noise control aspect of it. Here is an image of what I'm currently using. Any good tips on what to try next?

Ed
    Last edited by Ed62; 12-18-2008, 09:29 PM.
    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Ed

What you have there is a respirator. Very good for most painting, fumes, some toxins (depending on the respirator). A dust mask is just a covering over the nose and mouth with a rubber band for around the head. for dust only. They aren't really that good anyway. They never lay on the face tight enough to seal off small fine dust. If you can get used to wearing the respirator, it will work better than the dust mask. I get too antsy and take the thing off too soon. Dust from sanding or cutting will remain in the air long after the cloud disappears.

As for the earplugs, the kind that looks like headphones with the soft earcup work best for me. Cuts out most of the big decibels, and you can still hear when the saw motor is burning up.

If the goggle type eye protection interferes with your glasses, maybe go to one of those polycarbonate face shields with the pivot for tilt up.

A THING OF BEAUTY IS A JOY FOREVER - John Keats

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Morning Ed...

I used to use the Dustfoe, but they went south and the filters are no longer availabble. Purchased a North CFR-1 with 20 filters for $29.99 from Highland Woodworking. Additional filters are 20 @ $19.99. www.highlandwoodworking.com

This thing is light and has the best strap on it I have used in 35 years. And the good news is it doesn't have the tendencuy to ride up and displace your glasses or fog them. I wore it 8 hours yesterday sanding (ugggh) and them switched to an Advantage 200 vapor mask for getting gel stain on. 3 hours more or less in that one as a standard light-weight dust mast won't stop vapors.

The advantage is an excellent lightweight mask, but I wish it had the rear release connector the North has. You have to stretch it over your glasses to get it on initially. Still.. I won't work vapors without a mask equipped with the organic filters. The mask you have is similar to my Advantage.. just make sure that the filters are organic for vapors. Some mask as that have filters for dust and a different set for vapor.

Again.. I am absolutely happy to find the North and light-weight design that is a good fit with glasses I also have to use to see detail.

Regards...

Comment

• footprintsinconc
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2006
        • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
        • BT3100

this sounds like a good post, something that i need to do!

currently i dont wear any ear protection nor any mask. however, i do wear safety glasses, which i am cleaning every 5 minutes because they keep collecting dust and it very annoying. i just bought sponge ear plugs from hd to use next time but i definately need a mask, because i tend to get headaches after two days of continuous wood working because of getting a stuffy nose.

so keep posting, i have to do something immediately about this problem.

thanks

Comment

• Slik Geek
          • Dec 2006
          • Lake County, Illinois
          • Ryobi BT-3000

Ed,

As a result of ignorance of dust-related hazards, and an apparent propensity for dust allergies, I nearly ended my woodworking hobby four years ago. I'm able to continue because I always wear a dust mask.
          Because I have an uncomfortable reaction to dust, the effectiveness of the filter is paramount, but it also has to be comfortable or I'll foolishly take it off when I shouldn't. Here's what works for me (and yes, I wear glasses):

AO Safety CoolMax dust masks. (N95 rating per NIOSH).
          For ear protection, like cabinetman, I also prefer the kind that looks like headphones with the soft earcup. I got mine at Menards. I take them off whenever I can because they aren't comfortable for extended periods. They aren't highly durable - if you drop them on concrete the plastic headband can shatter. They are effective at ear protection, however.

If you try the Coolmax masks and like them, you may want to buy them in a bulk pack to save money. The masks last for awhile, but eventually they get soiled. A bulk pack lasts me for a long time.

footprintsinconc's stuffy nose may be the warning signs of an allergy to wood dust. Don't wait until the symptoms progress from a runny nose to a sore throat to a chest rash, to asthma symptoms, and then continuous flu symptoms. Protect yourself from dust!

Comment

• MilDoc

Have to second the AO Safety CoolMax. Most comfortble I've ever used, and I've wasted a lot on dust masks, respirators, etc. For general dust prevention these are tops!

Comment

• Warren
              Established Member
              • Jan 2003
              • Anchorage, Ak
              • BT3000

I had a pair of protective glasses made to my prescription w/ side protection. While costy, they were worth the price. My health insurance covered a good part of the cost. I haven't needed a perscription change for a couple of years, I suspect this year I will. They are trifocals and took a little getting used to as I usually do not routinely wear glasses. Near sighter in one eye and farsighted in the other.

I very infrequently have the need for dust protection as my mechanical collection is sufficient. When I do, I use the cheapo 3M with the metal band on the nose which I can shape so my glasses do not fog up, much . . . well, more than I like, but it's a compromise. I buy 'em buy the box, about one a year. The respirator is for painting, staining and other activities involving toxic materials.

I use the same noise reduction as you do. I keep a few pairs scattered around the shop, usually hanging on the power tools. Of course there are times when I can't find one pair, anywhere. So I puy a couple of new sets and the others then begin to reappear.
              A man without a shillelagh, is a man without an expidient.

Comment

• Ed62
                The Full Monte
                • Oct 2006
                • NW Indiana
                • BT3K

Thanks for the replies. I found a few different types of AO Safety Coolmax items. There seems to be one available locally, but for some reason I don't think it's the one you guys are talking about. Is this it? http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...000&lpage=none

Ed
                Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Curly Qsawn
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Mar 2004
                  • Woodbridge, VA, USA.

I am thinking of trying the AO Smith Quick Fit unless someone beats me to it and says it doesn't work well or I keep spending the $100 bucks on wood instead.

Comment

• MilDoc

Originally posted by Ed62
                    Thanks for the replies. I found a few different types of AO Safety Coolmax items. There seems to be one available locally, but for some reason I don't think it's the one you guys are talking about. Is this it? http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...000&lpage=none

Ed
                    Nope, that's not it. Northern Tool carries the CoolMax.

Comment

• MikeMcCoy
                      • Nov 2004
                      • Moncks Corner, SC, USA.
                      • Delta Contractor Saw

footprints - have you tried using those dryer sheets on your glasses? They slow down dust collecting on them.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Evening Ed..

I had never seen the Coolmax mentioned either. I googled and found it at Amazon. Very similar to my old Dustfoe. Looks light-weight, but the face looks kinda small for use with a beard. And that might not be so as I seem to remember Paul mentioning in a thread from a while back that it was OK with that added to glasses.

Here's the North which is also OSHA N95. What I like besides no fog and good beard fit is the plastic strap support on the head and it continies on to the fasteners to become the back of neck strap support also. Two quick clips allow you to put it on with getting tangled in glasses. It fits better than any I have tryed (have not as mentioned tried the Coolmax). You can get in on and off very quickly which is a plus for me..

Whatever you do... wear something. After sanding 4 large table legs and strechers yesterday from 120 grit to 220 grit with a fan behind me blowing it out an open shop door and a shop vac hook-up to the sander. I didn't notice any dust directly.. but when all was said and done, a dust film was everywhere forward of the fan. I blew it out as custom by opening doors and starting in the back of the shop with an electric leaf blower. It had rained previously and my Dakota pick-up got coated from that. ha.. ha...

Regards...
                        Attached Files

Comment

• footprintsinconc
                          Veteran Member
                          • Nov 2006
                          • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
                          • BT3100

thankyou everyone

you're right about the dust thing, on a couple of occasions i have had very bad days after working with wood continuously for 15 hours with stuffy nose, headaches and a cough. now my wife is saying that i cant start another project until i figure out the mask solution!

Slick Geek:
                          is this what the coolmax looks like:? (please see website)

http://www.shop.com/op/~AO_Safety_Co...158?sourceid=3

SARGE..g-47:
                          what exactly is you mask called? do you have to buy filters for it or you just buy them in bulk like disposables?

MikeMcCoy:
                          are you talking about rubbing the glasses with bounce sheets that you throw in the laundry for removing static? if so, next time i am going to try that and see how beneficial that is going to be.

Comment

• wardprobst
                            • Jan 2006
                            • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
                            • Craftsman 22811

I've been using a Trend Airshield for a few years- it's fairly comfortable, works well on dust, allows my glasses and beard room to breath, acts as a face shield and is easy on/off. The fan makes a bit of noise but I'm usually wearing 3M hearing protectors with it and using a power tool so it's not bad. I'm thinking about the Peltor WorkTunes headset but haven't had a chance to try one on to see what it feels like.
                            Glad to see this thread- most folks don't realize how easy it is to damage your hearing and respiratory system in this work/hobby.
                            DP
                            www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• Slik Geek
                              • Dec 2006
                              • Lake County, Illinois
                              • Ryobi BT-3000

Originally posted by footprintsinconc
                              you're right about the dust thing, on a couple of occasions i have had very bad days after working with wood continuously for 15 hours with stuffy nose, headaches and a cough.
                              Listen to your wife! I suffered with flu symptoms for a year, thinking that my health had gone into the crapper until I finally realized that it was an allergic reaction to wood dust that was sucking the life out of me. It will only get worse, and the symptoms more persistent. I was fortunate that once I began using multiple levels of dust protection, my sensitivity has lessened. (Four years ago, if I walked into a BORG, I could tell you within twenty seconds after entering if they had been cutting wood recently, as the acute symptoms would kick in).

Originally posted by footprintsinconc
                              Slick Geek:
                              is this what the coolmax looks like:? (please see website)

http://www.shop.com/op/~AO_Safety_Co...158?sourceid=3
                              Yes. I have seen them at Menards. I'm guessing that you will find them elsewhere. No dust mask is "comfortable", but of all the ones that I have tried, the Coolmax is the least uncomfortable.

The best bulk price on the masks that I have found is from McMaster-Carr. See item #7795T12 (package of 25).
                              www.mcmaster.com

Hey footprintsinconc: if your glasses are getting fouled with sawdust so quickly, maybe you need to improve your dust collection. A dust mask isn't enough for me, as the residual dust that hangs around (as also mentioned in this thread) will harm you just as much. (And don't leave the mask in the shop - or your first breath will be a snort of dust that settles in your mask while it hangs in the dust cloud).

Comment

Working...