• Show
Clear All
  • ggg71
    Forum Newbie
    • Nov 2006
    • Swampscott, MA
    • BT3100

Bench Vise Question

I'm looking to get a bench mounted vise... Is there a preferred kind?

On a completely unrelated note, I picked up a 50 year old 6" Jointer (Craftsman) last week, and after getting the knives properly adjusted (they were 1/16" too high), it works awesome! It's a really nice looking tool as well.

Garth
  • Tom Miller
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2003
    • Twin Cities, MN
    • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

There are lots of "types" of bench vises (front vise, tail vise, end vise, shoulder vise, etc.), as well as many options within those types. You can get lots of info here.

I'm guessing you're thinking of a "front vise". One option is to get a metal-faced vise, and attach wood faces to it. You may want to consider dog holes in your bench, too, to be used in conjunction with your front vise.

Once you narrow down your choices, we can help with specifics.

Regards,
    Tom

Comment

• Warren
      Established Member
      • Jan 2003
      • Anchorage, Ak
      • BT3000

Tom is right. Firsr determine your needs. I need an end vise and bench top clamping capability for some of my regular projects. So dogs are a help.

Better to sit a while and try to figure out what you need most. Front vise and end vise with dog holes in the bench top are the usual configuration and probably are satisfactory for the majority of woodworkers needs.

Because I do so much hand shaping I'm considering purchasing a pattern makers vise. I will go out on a limb, possibly incurring the wrath of some, but a front mounted vise will probably see the most general use.
      A man without a shillelagh, is a man without an expidient.

Comment

Working...