• Show
Clear All
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Cutting Crown Moulding on TS?

Is there any formula/technique for cutting Crown Mouldings on the TS? I do not have a Miter Saw, and everything out there on CMs refers to the MS for all cuts. I did manage a couple of cuts yesterday, but am not sure how I got the final cuts. If I have to cut more, it would be trial-and-error again.

I am sure if I could get the CM to stand upright during the cut, it would be easier, but can't think up a jig to help me hold it at that angle securely.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

I have cut crown on the TS and it a PITA. In order to cut crown on the TS, both miter and bevel would have to be cut with the crown flat to the table. For accurate cuts the miter would be 31.6 deg, and the bevel would be 33.9 deg. You would need very accurate gauges to get your miter gauge and the blade angle to that degree of accuracy, and then being able to have a smooth pass with the moulding. Conceivably, you could cut the moulding standing up, if it was shorter than the blade height, and then if you made a wedge brace on the angle of the moulding in order to hold it to the miter gauge, you would only have to make a pass at 45 deg.

"I'M NEVER WRONG - BUT I'M NOT ALWAYS RIGHT"
    Last edited by cabinetman; 11-20-2006, 08:36 PM.

Comment

• Tequila
      • Aug 2004
      • King of Prussia, PA, USA.

Here's my suggestion. Attach 2 boards together at 90degrees to simulate a wall & ceiling. Put your blade all the way down, and use your miter gauge to set that jig at 45degrees to the blade. Clamp the jig to the table and you've just built yourself an inverted miter saw.

You can clamp the crown in place and raise the blade to cut it, the lower again for the next piece.

It's not the most efficient or elegant idea, but it should get you by until you pick up a miter saw.
      -Joe

Comment

• jhart
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2004
        • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
        • BT3100

I think it's the perfect reason to buy a new Miter saw.
        Joe
        "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• radhak
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2006
          • Miramar, FL
          • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Originally posted by jhart
          I think it's the perfect reason to buy a new Miter saw.
          yup - particularly with the above responses to support me, and TG sales around the corner...

thanks for help, everybody!
          It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
          - Aristotle

Comment

Working...