X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fim
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2006

circular saws on the cheap

I have my bt3100 and a jigsaw, but ripping sheets to managable sizes would sure be easier with a circular saw.

With Black Friday rolling around, I figure I can get one fair cheap.
    What do you people think of these:

Craftsman 14amp w/ Laser Trac #10870 - $59.99
    Craftsman 12amp #10865 - $29.99
    Ryobi 14amp w/ Laser #576313 - $69.00

Any other recommended ones? Lighter would obviously be better
  • maxparot
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
    • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

If an economy saw is what you are looking for I'd also check out the Skil.
    If you want a quality saw on a budget I think the $50-75 range is more realistic.
    Hitachi makes a real fine saw that you may find on sale at the top end of that range. It's regular selling price is around $85-90
    Opinions are like gas;
    I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2005
      • York, PA, USA.

Porter Cable Reconditioned

If they still have this saw it has been awesome for me and is a great deal :

http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=24574

Comment

• drumpriest
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2004
        • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
        • Powermatic PM 2000

Last year I scored the 14 amp ryobi 7 1/4" for 20$. Darn near criminal. Anyway, I like the saw, it works great for my uses, which mostly entails roughing out plywood sheets.
        Keith Z. Leonard
        Go Steelers!

Comment

• Stormbringer
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2005
          • Floral Park, NY
          • Bosch 4000

Originally posted by Jeffrey Schronce
          If they still have this saw it has been awesome for me and is a great deal :

http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=24574
          Unfortunately that deals been dead for a while now, although it lasted longer than I thought it would've. Checked the other day to snag one for a buddy. All gonzo.

Greg

Comment

• crokett
            The Full Monte
            • Jan 2003
            • Mebane, NC, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000

I'd advise saving until you can get something a little better - between 100 and 150 or so. My current circ saw is a Dewalt and hopefully will be my last. I started with a cheap saw and didn't like it. Adjustments for angle, cut depth were clunky. It felt flimsy and always seemed to be straining to cut anything. I am much happier with my Dewalt.
            David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Zenaca
              Established Member
              • Nov 2006
              • Idaho

I picked up the Hitachi this weekend at Lowes for $47 on sale from $89 works alot better that the old POS Skil ive had for over 20 years. If i remember right the sale price is good all week, might be worth checking out!
              The biggest problem i had with the Skil is the cheap tin base plate that was never flat from the day i bought it so if i wernt carful and make sure to hold it against the wood the same all the way through the cut i could not get a straight cut. The thicker baseplate that wont warp is what i have looked for in a new saw of any brand .

Comment

• Ed62
                The Full Monte
                • Oct 2006
                • NW Indiana
                • BT3K

I have the Skil, and while I don't remember what I paid, I think it was in the neighborhood of $60.00. I've been well satisfied with it, although I can't say it is heavily used.

Ed
                Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• onedash
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2005
                  • Maryland
                  • Craftsman 22124

my next one will be a PC. My cheap POC Craftsman is pretty bad when it comes to cutting a straight line. It will cut but so will a hatchet.....Luckily I don't use it very much.
                  YOU DONT HAVE TO TRAIN TO BE MISERABLE. YOU HAVE TO TRAIN TO ENDURE MISERY.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

I was given a used Shopmate back in 1972. It became my first TS mounted under-neath a 2' x 4' sheet of ply. I still runs fine and has never has the straightest steel base I have ever seen on any saw as several framers have made offers. Still gets use outside the house on construction projects.

But.. being heavy does not make it the ply-wood and MDF sheet ripper I eventually needed. The PC with Magnesium base takes away the weight and is much more stable than aluminum with the use of a True-Grip guide. Great circular, but if you want to stay under the $100 range I would save a few more bucks and look at the Hitachi as mentioned which goes on sale quite often and is not a bad circular at all.

Regards...

Comment

• Garasaki
                      • Sep 2006

I actually prefer a jigsaw to a circular saw for ripping down sheet goods.

I am more comfortable with it, it's quieter, and it makes a MUCH more concentrated mess.

The time I used a circular saw, it coated the entire garage in dust...
                      -John

"Look, I can't surrender without orders. I mean they emphasized that to me particularly. I don't know exactly why. The guy said "Blake, never surrender without checking"
                      -Henry Blake

Comment

Working...