• Show
Clear All
  • Zbart
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2006
    • Lansing, MI
    • BT3100

Table Top Mortisers

I've been looking at getting a mortiser and have seen a few threads on some deals on amazon. It seems to me that for a table top mortiser, the decision would be between the Delta and the Powermatic. I see now that the Powermatic is out of stock, but putting that aside and assuming the extra $$$ is not an issue, is there a big enough difference between to 2 to make the extra cost worth it?

Thanks,

Scott
  • SARGE..g-47

Neither hae x-y tables, Scott. Migh also look at the Yorkcraft which does and the new Steel City which has a $50 Rebate working till the end of year.........

WWW.steelcitytoolworks.com

Regards...

Comment

• eweu
      Forum Newbie
      • Aug 2006
      • Silicon Valley, CA

How about the Jet?

Have you considered the Jet mortiser? There's a $25 rebate right now plus an additional $25 off if you buy it at Amazon right now. Brings the price down to $200.

I have this mortiser and I love it. Comes with three chisels and plenty of power. I used it to make some 1"x5"x2" mortises for my workbench legs and it powered right through. The hold down on this unit works very well.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2005
        • York, PA, USA.

I own the Delta, however I second the vote for the Yorkcraft. I laid my gubby hands on it at Wilke the other day. It is awesome. X-Y is killer, the large knob/vice action is great. I think this thing would rate higher than the PM in future reviews. The 1/2 hp on the Yorkcraft v. the 3/4 hp on the PM is a non-issue in my opinion. I find that my limitation on speed is the chisels themself keeping up and not burning. Having used the Delta on hard maple, cherry and lots of walnut, 1/2 hp is fine. Make sure to pick up one of the Rockler chisel files for $10. They seem to help a lot.
        Sarge, I know you love them there Steel City tools, but where does this mortiser have a leg up on the PM or Yorkcraft? BTW, have you gotten around to photos and review of the SC BS?
        Last edited by Jeffrey Schronce; 11-15-2006, 10:32 PM.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Actually Jeff, it doesn't actually have a leg up on them except it happens to have a $50 Rebate at the moment. It has extentions and built on table locks. I just thought I would mention it as many here seem to be just starting out and don't have a ton to spend at a given moment.

I have a Shopfox that I got for $185 about 3 years ago as it was the floor model and I did some bartering when it was the only one they had in stock. I have cut a ton of motises on it with those double columns and it has depth of cut for sure. I build a lot of work-benches and 3"-4" deep mortises is a must on the one's I design. But... if I had to buy one at the moment, it would probably be the Yorkcraft with the X-Y. The market has been waiting for a X-Y on an affordable bench-top, IMO. It's about time!

I have done two very extensive threads over on FWW Knots on the SC 18". I cranked it up last Saturday in my shop and have already re-sawn over 300 linear feet of rough white oak. Sturdy.. together in less than an hour even with removing cosmolene.. no missing parts and a manual written by wood workers that have actually owned the finickiest machine in a shop.

If there is interest.. I would review it here, but in the meantime I'll just give you a look "under the cover". Check those double tension springs under the hood and you will know that the Steel City boys weren't messing around when they offer a 5 Year warranty. ha.. ha...

Regards...
          Attached Files

Comment

• Popeye
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2003
            • Woodbine, Ga
            • Grizzly 1023SL

Scott, I don't own any of them. I've got a HF that I put an XY vice on. A fair amount of work but I ended up with top notch mortiser for <$150. That said, the difference between a mortiser without the xy table and one with it is like the difference between a "Tim Taylor" and Norm Abram.
            Whatever you buy, buy one with an XY table. Pat
            Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• JR
              The Full Monte
              • Feb 2004
              • Eugene, OR
              • BT3000

I believe HF has a version with X-Y table now. IIRC, it can be found for about $169 when on sale.

JR
              JR

Comment

• LYU370
                Established Member
                • Mar 2005
                • Streamwood, IL.

I got the Delta mortiser. Haven't had a chance to use it yet, maybe this weekend, but it looks well built. American Woodworker magazine has an online article about benchtop mortisers. None of them won the editors choice because of the hold downs, but have an easy fix in the article that I think I'll try. Also I see the Delta is back down to $175 at Amazon after coupons and rebates.
                Andy

Comment

• Popeye
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2003
                  • Woodbine, Ga
                  • Grizzly 1023SL

Originally posted by JR
                  I believe HF has a version with X-Y table now. IIRC, it can be found for about $169 when on sale.

JR
                  It's on sale right now for $149. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=45007 Would have been alot simpler and LIGHTER for me if I'd bought this one but..... it's a great buy IMO. Pat
                  Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• Zbart
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Feb 2006
                    • Lansing, MI
                    • BT3100

Thanks to everyone for their replies.

I had looked at the Yorkcraft Mortiser, but the price with the shipping put it around $300 which is more than i'd like to pay.

I understand the value of the x-y table, but am leary of the Harbor Freight mortiser as i have had some bad experiences with them in the past.

Comment

Working...