• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Good Habits: Splitter. Featherboards - I went and expressely bought a set of Bench Dogs because I kept putting off making some of my own. Always use push stick and push blocks. Always use ear protection. Always unplug a tool I am working on. Always keep immediate work area clean.

Bad Habits: No dust mask. Have one but don't wear it as much as I should.

No blade guard or pawls - took them off a few months after I got the saw. Not even sure where they are now. IMO not necessarily a bad habit, more like a judgement call.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• os1kne
      • Jan 2003
      • Atlanta, GA
      • BT3100

Good Habit: I wear eye protection almost 100% of the time when I'm working wood, cutting grass, etc.. (I've had 2 eye surgeries in the last 3 years, if I end up having more I don't want it to be something I could have prevented.) Always use push sticks when necessary. If I'm doing something that isn't commonplace, I'll make a dry run to see if there is some unforeseen risk.

Bad Habit: I don't wear a dust mask very often. Only wear ear protection when I'm going to be routing for more than a few minutes.
      Last edited by os1kne; 11-15-2006, 09:59 PM.
      Bill

Comment

• IBBugsy
        Established Member
        • Jan 2006
        • Allentown, PA.
        • BT3100

Good Habits: I'm constantly keeping things clean and tidy (neat freak) and I think things through excessively before starting (engineer training).

Bad Habits: Not experienced so I get "surprised". If I researched more beforehand I would likely prevent the surprises. Haven't found a comfortable Dust Mask so I don't use one very often. I get impatient (make scrap).
        Dave - Weekend Garage Junkie
        "I'm no physicist but I know what matters" - Popeye

Comment

• wardprobst
          • Jan 2006
          • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
          • Craftsman 22811

Originally posted by IBBugsy
          Good Habits: I'm constantly keeping things clean and tidy (neat freak) and I think things through excessively before starting (engineer training).

Bad Habits: Not experienced so I get "surprised". If I researched more beforehand I would likely prevent the surprises. Haven't found a comfortable Dust Mask so I don't use one very often. I get impatient (make scrap).
          Apologies if I'm stealing the thread but I have found the Trend Air Shield to be a super dust mask/eye protector. Works for guys like me that have full beards and eyeglasses. Only down side is the cost but it's cheaper than a visit to the emergency room.
          DP
          www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• Ed62
            The Full Monte
            • Oct 2006
            • NW Indiana
            • BT3K

Originally posted by jseklund
            I need to get a better pair and they fog up, I tend to take them off and sometimes forget to put them back on. ...
            Try putting a little bit of shaving cream on the inside of the glasses, then wipe it off. I *think* that'll help. Let us know.

Ed
            Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• jseklund
              Established Member
              • Aug 2006

Quote:
              Originally Posted by jseklund View Post
              I need to get a better pair and they fog up, I tend to take them off and sometimes forget to put them back on. ...
              Try putting a little bit of shaving cream on the inside of the glasses, then wipe it off. I *think* that'll help. Let us know.

Ed
              I hadn't thought of that...I will give it a shot. Thanks Ed!
              F#$@ no good piece of S#$% piece of #$@#% #@$#% #$@#$ wood! Dang. - Me woodworking

Comment

• Stormbringer
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2005
                • Floral Park, NY
                • Bosch 4000

Thanks for that tipp too Ed. We'll try it next time.

Bad:
                Working in to tight a shop with too many tools crammed in there (is that a bad thing?)
                Walking on top of multiple extension cords
                Dust mask only for MDF when the shop vac isn't hooked up (but we're getting better)
                No blade guard

Good:
                The treacherous conditions above cause me to be super close attention to what I'm doing at all times.
                Hearing protection all the time. (Learned the hard way)

Greg

Comment

• Ed62
                  The Full Monte
                  • Oct 2006
                  • NW Indiana
                  • BT3K

You're both welcome. Just let us know how it works. It would be nice to know that I actually posted something someone can use.

Ed
                  Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

Working...