Clear All
  • bigstick509
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Macomb, MI, USA.
    • BT3100

Welcome

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

Comment

• linear
      • May 2004
      • DeSoto, KS, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3100

Hi niki! Good to have you here.
      --Rob

sigpic

Comment

• jabe
        • Apr 2006
        • Hilo, Hawaii
        • Ryobi BT3000 & Delta Milwaukee 10" tilting Table circular saw

Aloha, good to have you on board.

Comment

• padboy
          Forum Newbie
          • Jan 2005
          • Roscommon, Michigan, USA.

Welcome Niki! Please tell us about what everyday "woodworking" life is like there in Poland. Do you have stores like our large "home centers"? What are your local hardware stores like? How difficult is it to buy nuts/bolts/screws and woodworking tools such as routers,bench saws etc.

Comment

• niki
            • Nov 2006
            • Poland
            • EB PK255

Thank you all for the welcome

Padboy
            I’m only an amateur sharing the garage with my car (it has to be clean and empty every evening).

At the winter, all my woodworking is also “frozen”, we had already the first snow and the temperatures dropped below the freezing level, no heating in the garage, so, I have 4 months “Vacation”.

We have a few “Big boxes” but the WW hobby is still not developed here and many small things that you just pop-in to the HD and buy them, are not available here (for example: T track).

It’s only 15 years since they were “released” from “Mama Russia” control and influence, so actually, it is very young country.

Tools and machines are available here as in the rest of the EU, most of them are German (the expensive) or Chinese (the cheap).

But there are also good things like; when I made my kitchen (16’ lower, 16’ upper cabinets), I just ordered the Melamine plates cut to my dimensions. It cost me extra $30 but I got an accurate and clean cut plates delivered to my house, without the need to carry and brake down big and heavy plates and all the dust around.

The men-power here is very cheap ($700 salary is considered above average) and the Oak prices are ridiculous (everybody has them in his yard), 35 cubic feet (1 cubic meter) costs around $300~400.

niki

Comment

• jdschulteis
              Established Member
              • Mar 2003
              • Muskego, Wisconsin, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by niki
              [...]
              The men-power here is very cheap ($700 salary is considered above average) and the Oak prices are ridiculous (everybody has them in his yard), 35 cubic feet (1 cubic meter) costs around $300~400.

niki
              Welcome, Niki.

For those that don't like to do the math, that oak comes to $0.71 to $0.95 per board foot, about half what my local sawmill charges.
              Jerry

Comment

• SHADOWFOX
                Veteran Member
                • May 2005
                • IL, USA.
                • DELTA 36-675

Welcome aboard, Niki!

There's a lot of wonderful folks here! Definitely one of the best woodworking community on the web.

I am a newbie to this hobby and I greatly appreciate your current contributions of skills and knowledge. Looking forward to the next one
                Chris

"The first key to wisdom is constant and frequent questioning, for by doubting we are led to question and by questioning we arrive at the truth." -Pierre Abelard 11th Century philosopher.

Comment

• niki
                  • Nov 2006
                  • Poland
                  • EB PK255

Thank you Jerry
                  Daily products are very cheap here (even the Germans are coming here for shopping), but the Bosch 4000 TS costs $1,200 (in USA, $500) and the M12V router, $550 (~$150 in USA), just to give you reference point.

Thank you Chris
                  Because my skills are not “something to write home about”, I’m forced to make jigs that will make my work “idiot proof”.

niki

Comment

• mater
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2004
                    • SC, USA.

Welcome to the forum Niki. We are glad to have you join and enjoy yourself.
                    Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• Workman
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Feb 2006

Welcome, Niki. I had the opportunity to spend several weeks in Poland in 1991. Nothing close to a "big box" store then (but the most incredible "flea market" in the world in Warsaw). Original in the box Sears and Craftsmen items sold as flea market finds. Is it still there? Love your simple jigs - they fit my memories of making things work when the tools and/or materials can't be found (as easily as in the big box stores) and fits our hobby well. Perhaps this distinguishes the "craftsman" from the "assembler"? Keep up the good work.

Comment

• niki
                        • Nov 2006
                        • Poland
                        • EB PK255

Thank you Mater and Workman

Workman
                        If you mean the flea market in the Warsaw Stadium, it’s still there but the Warsaw municipal government decided to close it very soon and I wonder where all the Vietnamese and are going to go.
                        A friend of mine calls it Saigon.

Since you’ve been here, they opened a few “big boxes” but they are owned mainly by French companies and all of them are more concentrated in construction materials and tools (they are still building the country), very little woodworking.

Chesch
                        niki

Comment

Working...