X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mackmack
    Established Member
    • Apr 2006

Basic Painting Question

I remember seeing the answer to this and I spent like 45 mins searching for it on here. For the life of me I can't find it. So I hope someone could help me again.

I have been painting MDF, I'm using Killz primer and two coats of paint. To get the smoothest possible finish am I suppose to sand lightly after I put the primer on? or do I sand after the primer AND the first coat?

Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by mackmack; 11-03-2006, 08:22 PM.
  • JimD
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • Lexington, SC.

Depends on how smooth the first coat is and the type of paint you are using. If it's smooth and you are using latex, you wouldn't have to sand. It is isn't smooth or you are using a type of paint that needs "teeth" - a rough surface to adhere to, you sand.

Jim

Comment

• mmgross144
      Forum Newbie
      • Oct 2006
      • Dumfries, VA
      • Ryobi BT3100

Painting MDF

MACKMACK,
      Light sanding (220 grit) can't hurt to insure that you have proper ""tooth" for each additional coat, but may not be necessary after the first coat depending on paint type used and desired effect.
      If you want simulated "grain" you can get it by brushing in one direction, or by following the "grain" as if you were painting real wood.
      If you want a less distinct pattern, use a fine sponge roller or short nap veleur roller.
      For the smoothest water-based finish that I have found in 15+ years of professional finishing/painting, I recommend Benjamin Moore's Water-based Satin Impervo, it levels like oil apint and helps hide tool marks & brush strokes. Apply it in thin but complete coats to avoid sags & drips. The smoothest application is with an HVLP sprayer or the Preval spray system (paint my need some thinning).
      If you are using oil it will level smoothly, but again a light sanding in between coats will help with tooth & to knock off any collected dust.
      The smoothness of your finish begins with priming, so be patient and let each coat dry completely after proper application.
      Hope that this was helpful.
      Mike

Comment

• mackmack
        Established Member
        • Apr 2006

Mike thanks for the great advice.

This is the stuff you were talking about right?

http://www.benjaminmoore.com/wrapper...id=207#article
        Last edited by mackmack; 11-04-2006, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Working...