• Show
Clear All
  • bigsteel15
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2006
    • Edmonton, AB
    • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Tarheel
    The Dowelmax will get every time! If you want a 3/8" setback (ie table legs and rails) or if you want to use it to glue up a panel that is dead flush on one side (assuming the boards are not exactly the same thickness) this jig will do it for you.

I am not associated with the Dowelmax Co, but a thankful user of the jig. All I can say is that the jig is great!

Wayne
    Originally posted by rickd
    I have the Dowel Max jig and can't recommend it highly enough even given the relatively high cost. The Dowel Max produces absolutely perfect-fit joints using an extremely simple, fast and accurate alignment system that requires no measuring. It is simply fantastic.

I tried 3 or 4 other doweling jigs before I finally gave in and bought the Dowel Max. All told, I probably wasted about $100 on jigs that were pretty much useless. I too was looking for something cheaper than the Dowel Max.

I've only read positive reviews about the Dowel Max from anyone who has owned one. This jig allows me to use dowels much more than I normally would and to not sacrifice strength in the process.
    Originally posted by Al Garay
    After reading aboug the Dowelmax, chose to make that my primary joining solution for building cabinets. Taking back the Kreg K3 Master and will settle for the less expensive Kreg jig for quick and dirty.

The thing is that the Dowelmax will make my test cabinets look like nice cabinets.

What they said.
    Perfect everytime IF you pay attention to the marks on the jig.
    Brian

Welcome to the school of life
    Where corporal punishment is alive and well.

Comment

• kdaustin
      Forum Newbie
      • Oct 2003
      • Emporia, KS, USA.

Doweling jig

I have a dowel pro jig and like it very much. You actually can join edge to surface with it including puting the edge of a board in the center of another board.

Ken

Comment

• Ken Massingale
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Liberty, SC, USA.
        • Ridgid TS3650

OMG!!! ~$240??????????????? for the DowelMax, wow

Comment

• boblon
          • Aug 2003
          • Florida, USA.

Originally posted by Ken Massingale
          Was my thoughts exactly.

BobL.
          "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from poor judgement."

Comment

• bigsteel15
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2006
            • Edmonton, AB
            • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Ken Massingale
            Canadian company sells in Canadian $$. You should have bought it a year ago when your dollar was worth $1.50 or more.
            Brian

Welcome to the school of life
            Where corporal punishment is alive and well.

Comment

• Ken Massingale
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Liberty, SC, USA.
              • Ridgid TS3650

It's $239 on Amazon, U.S. $$$.
              Not even $100 for a doweling jig, no thanks. I'm not bashing those who have one, it's just not for me.

Comment

• mdurg
                Forum Newbie
                • Feb 2006

I finally got to using the jig today. It works sweet and it's made very high quality. I haven't made a single joint that wasn't completely flush when running my finger over it and I'm just a novice woodworker.

To answer somebody's question, there is no measuring with the Dowelmax unless you are doing T-joints. You just line up the face you need to and drill away. When you line up the face of the jig to the face of the wood you use your fingers. Your fingers are sensitive enough to feel the thickness of a human hair which is anywhere from .002-.007. That's pretty accurate for wood.

Expensive? Yes, but for me I'm happy with the purchase. It's something I can see myself using for a long time. The only complaint is that it should have come with a very nice storage case for the premium you are shelling out.

Personally I think if they got this into Rockler and Woodcraft for 150 they'd sell a zillion of them.

~mdurg
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...