X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mmeyerkopf
    Forum Newbie
    • Sep 2006

A sincere Thank You

I am Re-posting this as a new thread to make sure everyone who responded se this.

First off I would like to say how impressed I am at all the responses. I realized that after I sent the original message that I did not include what I intended to do first. Let me give you some background.

I was raised by a Tool & Die maker, my Dad, and worked with him from the time I was 10. I work in the computer field now which is not really as different as you might think.

I have been collecting tools for many years always using as an excuse (to my wife) that I was actually saving money by doing it myself.

Examples:

Recipricating Saw = Dismantle and trash the metal swing set ($350 estimate)
    Power Planer = Hanging 15 new doors in the house (saving $130 per door)
    Brad Nailer/Compressor = Help her Brother install quarter round in his house (no savings necessary)
    Power Painter = Stain Fense ($3500 estimate)

You get the idea. Back to the key issue

I have a simple design for a set of bookcases that have some special characteristics that several people have ask me to build for them. I built the prototype for my wife with my Circular Saw and little else.

I got the Table Saw for my birthday (it was a big one - or so they say) and have a gift certificate for the $400 at Home Depot. I have squares and chisels and the like. I probably could use a better quality Router (only 1 HP) but I think I would like to get something I don't have and then replace my old tools as I feel more confident that this new side business/hobby is going to work.

Again thanks so much for all the responses. I look forward to participating in these forums more constructively as my workshop and skills improve.

I am considering a Drill Press, Band Saw or Lathe. (I know $400 won't get me much) Maybe a Band Saw would allow me to be more creative in terms of the side of the bookcases. I was thinking of the Drill Press because one of my ideas is to drill dowels holes and provide dowels for easy assembly.

By the way, my workshop is my garage (my poor car doesn't yet understand why it has to stay out side all night by itself)
  • agent511
    Established Member
    • Jun 2005
    • Philadelphia
    • TS3650

You hinted at the answer. What you need to buy next is really dictated by the needs of the project.

If you need to make a lot of dowel holes, then the DP will be needed (the Ryobi at HD for $99 is a great bargain and probably all you need. If you plan on making various curves, then a band saw might be next - may want to look at Ridgid 14" at HD for $350.

If you plan on using some finer hardwoods, for something you plan on keeping in the family- oak, cherry, walnut, etc. , then a jointer and a planer will come before the drill press or the band saw, usually. You need these to prepare the unfinished wood. With careful shopping on Ebay and/or Craig's List, you may be able to get both for around $400. But of course you have the HD gift certificate - you'll have to check out their offerings - I don't think you can get both new in your price range. Either one or the other, but you usually need both.

The lathe would probably not come in handy for basic woodworking, and should be at the end of your list. Woodturning is (for many people) an entire seperate hobby. Yes, some turn legs for tables or spindles for chairs, but most lathe users that use one regularly, I believe , are into turning and bowl making ,and pen making, which tends to be an end in itself.
    darksider

Comment

• Warren
      Established Member
      • Jan 2003
      • Anchorage, Ak
      • BT3000

You should be able to build a template and drill the shelf holes with a plunge router quicker than on the drill press. If your router is a plunge router then I'd favor the band saw. There are jigs though, which will make spacing and drilling on a DP about as fast and accurate as a router.

But, from what little you've said, number of book cases and size, I'd drill the shelf support holes with a router and template. So, that leaves the band saw.

You know what? Six of one, half dozen of the other. The DP and BS are the most used in my shop and I'd have a heck of a time without either. So I'm just spinning my wheels giving you advice. Good luck!

My last word would be go with the band saw and use the router, with a template for the holes. Or . . . you could just, well . . . darn I don't know. I'm soooo confused.
      A man without a shillelagh, is a man without an expidient.

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

IMHO try to finagle a DP and a BS. You could likely get a midrange of both for what you have alotted. Maybe kicking a little $'s to your voucher, you could get exactly what you want. The question to which one is used more is really an individual one. As far as tools go, I want at least one of everything.

"I'M NEVER WRONG - BUT I'M NOT ALWAYS RIGHT"

Comment

• wardprobst
          • Jan 2006
          • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
          • Craftsman 22811

Two thoughts- you can buy a very good drill press and assortment of bits with $400, even at the Borg. This is going to be a better quality tool if you want to assemble a really good tool set.
          OTH, the Rigid bandsaw is decent and if I only had one power saw it would be a band saw even though you'd have to pry my cold dead fingers off of my BT3 first.
          So depends on how many times you want to buy tools- how serious are you? I've replaced tools because of quality more often than I've worn them out.
          YMMV,
          DP
          www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• sweensdv
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • WI
            • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

I use my 16" drill press all the time and wouldn't be without it. If you have the room, a floor model DP will give you many more options than many bench top units. IMO, as far as DP's are concerned, the bigger the better. Whatever one you choose, get one with as many speed settings as you can.

A band saw is another story. So far, I've been able to get by without one. Someday I'm sure I'll add one to my shop but in the meantime I'll make due with my jigsaw and scroll saw.

Comment

Working...