• Show
Clear All
  • ufg8r85
    Forum Newbie
    • Aug 2006
    • Stuart Florida
    • bt3

Now what to buy?

I have a bt3100 TS, and a router. LOML has a honey do list which includes a hope chest, curio cabinet, adirondack chairs, and bunk beds. Which is the next major tool purchase I should consider. Oh yes, she has crown molding planned too, I've got a recon Dewalt DW716 on order., which tool(s) next?
    Thanks,
    Steve
  • Warren
    Established Member
    • Jan 2003
    • Anchorage, Ak
    • BT3000

I take it you're talking about big, hulking power tools, not hand tools.

The two most used power tools in my shop are the drill press and band saw, in that order. Dust collection is also a thought, although I don't put as much stress on that as some. If you're going to do a lot of molding and soon, a compound miter saw is nice. If not a lot of molding, then the table saw will do nicely.

I'd really suggest a drill press for the projects you have listed. Lot of precise drilling needed. And, a project for you should be a router table.
    A man without a shillelagh, is a man without an expidient.

Comment

• bigsteel15
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2006
      • Edmonton, AB
      • Ryobi BT3100

Ditto what Warren said.
      and a jointer would be nice to do some really nice work on those heirloom pieces.
      Brian

Welcome to the school of life
      Where corporal punishment is alive and well.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

How many clamps are enough Steve?...............

One more than you need and you're always one short!

If ya don't have em, you will before you finish any of those projects. You can purchase a power tool (hopefully you at least have a power drill), but it is a case of "pay me now.. or pay me latter". You will need clamps on nearly every project you do even if you're working strickly with hand tools.

Good luck...

Comment

• Knottscott
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2004
          • Rochester, NY.
          • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I'd go planer, followed closely by jointer and DC.
          Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• gary
            • May 2004
            • Versailles, KY, USA.

Before answering, do you want to use rough lumber or buy if machined?
            Gary

Comment

• ufg8r85
              Forum Newbie
              • Aug 2006
              • Stuart Florida
              • bt3

machined lumber from the big box stores, can't find a lumber store around here that has oak, maple, etc for projects. Any suggestions on this, I'm in south east Fla

Comment

• LarryG
                The Full Monte
                • May 2004
                • Off The Back
                • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by ufg8r85
                machined lumber from the big box stores, can't find a lumber store around here that has oak, maple, etc for projects.
                No suggestions other than to look harder. The prices the bix boxes get for good lumber is highway robbery, and most locations have only red oak, poplar, and clear pine. You might look into ordering from one of the online dealers, or even try Woodcraft if you have a local store ... you probably can't do any worse, price-wise.
                Larry

Comment

• gary
                  • May 2004
                  • Versailles, KY, USA.

machined lumber from the big box stores, can't find a lumber store around here that has oak, maple, etc for projects. Any suggestions on this, I'm in south east Fla
                  Try woodfinder website to look for other sources of lumber.

Being you're using machined lumber, I'm going to go against the grain here and recommend you get a large compressor (~ 12 SCFM). With it you can spray finishes, run nail guns/staplers and even run a vacuum press for veneering. It'll let you do a lot of different things.
                  Gary

Comment

• Luckbox
                    Established Member
                    • Nov 2003
                    • Holly Springs, NC

Well also from being from SE Florida I can tell you that wood selection is pretty slim. I have called a few lumber yards but the closet I found was in Indiantown. I am pretty limited to Lowes and HD for wood. I still find the Planer and Jointer very useful. Even machined lumber has a fair amount of variations.
                    I love lamp.

Comment

• radhak
                      Veteran Member
                      • Apr 2006
                      • Miramar, FL
                      • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Check this thread http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=21277

The discussion was plywood in SE Florida, but various options were thrown around that also offered lumber.
                      It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                      - Aristotle

Comment

Working...