• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Navycraig
    Forum Newbie
    • Aug 2006

Need Advice On E-bay Item

http://cgi.ebay.com/RAND-10-SLIDING-...QQcmdZViewItem

Hopefully the above link will take you to an item that I'm considering. I'm just now getting back into wood working and trying to set up a shop. I have a BT3100 that I recently purchased and am now looking for a compound miter saw. I know nothing about the "rand" brand name and was hoping that a few of you seasoned pros could give me your input.
    If you can't get to the link, the stats are:

Thanks in advance for any input.

Craig

RAND 10" SLIDING COMPOUND MITER SAW WITH STAND AND LASER SIGHT!!
    ** New **

This brand new Rand sliding compound miter saw includes both a stand, and a laser sight. It is the highest quality miter saw available on eBay. The laser sight allows you to make VERY accurate cuts quickly and easily by showing you right where the saw blade will cut before you even lower the saw to chop. It is the ideal tool for making accurate angled cuts in any of two axis. It is essential if you need to make accurate cuts in trim or furniture. It also has the largest, most powerful motor that you can connect to a normal household electrical circuit. This means that this saw has the power to cut through the hardest of woods. This saw INCLUDES a 60 tooth carbide tipped blade, laser sight, and tool stand!! This is an ADDITIONAL VALUE OF $120 which is included for you absolutely FREE!!

For more incredible features, check out the list below!

This high quality compound miter saw includes:

High quality 10" sliding compound miter saw with aluminum base.
    Includes all steel tool stand!
    Includes laser sight to help align your cuts!
    60 tooth carbide tipped blade included!
    High precision sliding feature lets you slide saw through an additional 6-1/2" after the initial chop, which allows you to cut MUCH wider boards with this saw. (Approximately 11-1/2" wide boards can be cut.)
    Table is adjustable from 0 to 45 degrees in 2 directions, and is lockable in any position.
    Saw tilts from 0 to 45 degrees, and is lockable in any position.
    Sawing capacities: At 90 degrees, it will cut a 4x4, 4x6, etc. Maximum cuts are approximately: 11-1/2" board width at 90 degree miter, 8-1/4" board width at a 45 degree miter. Maximum board thickness at 45 degree bevel is approximately 1-3/4".
    Includes table extensions for working with long pieces.
    Hold down clamp to help you hold your work piece when working alone. It can be mounted on either side of the saw.
    Dust bag to keep your worksite clean.
    Includes spindle lock for hassle-free blade changing.
    Table includes positive stops at 0, 15, 22.5, 30, and 45 degrees.
    Super High Power Motor is 2.2 HP, 1600 watts, 4800 RPM, 13.33 Amps, 120V/60Hz/1 Phase.
    Motor features permanently lubricated ball bearings for a super-long hassle free life.
    Extra set of motor brushes.
    Standard high torque 1" arbor for blade.
    Blade changing wrench.
    Auto-retracting blade guard.
    Blade brake.
    Lock for transport.
    Approximate overall dimensions of saw and stand with 6-1/2" side extensions: 33"W x 29"D(with slider fully back) x 46"H(with saw completely up)
    Approximate overall dimensions of saw only with 6-1/2" side extensions (without stand): 33"W x 29"D(with slider fully back) x 23"H(with saw completely up)
  • buddyroo
    Forum Newbie
    • Aug 2006

HF puts their 10" slider on sale for $100, so if you have a 20% coupon your cost would be $80. That price does not include a stand and the saw does not have a laser.

I have the HF slider. It is a great saw for $80. But I believe that it is a saw that would be best at building a deck, not a piece of furniture.

Having never seen the Ebay saw you linked to, it is hard to say for sure, but my opinion is that you should pass.

Comment

• Tequila
      • Aug 2004
      • King of Prussia, PA, USA.

My short answer on miter saws is that if you won't use them often, or will only use them for 45 and 90 degree angles, a cheap one is fine. I got by for many years with the HF model that buddyroo mentions. Once I started doing more complicated moulding work, I found that I was spending more time fiddling with angle adjustments than actually cutting.

I upgraded to a Delta, and once I had the angles set, they stayed set. It's much easier to work knowing that I don't need to doublecheck every time I switch between 45 left and 45 right.
      -Joe

Comment

• RayintheUK
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2003
        • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
        • Ryobi BT3000

Can't tell for sure, from the picture, but I'd bet the saw sliding action is on a single tube, rather than a double. This often gives rise to some lateral movement at the fence-end of the cut - just where you don't want it. I don't know how the seller justifies the statement that "It is the highest quality miter saw available on eBay."

I'd try to find something that looked similar (or, preferably, identical) in a store first, run your hands over it and see how it feels before pulling the trigger.

Tequila and buddyroo gave good advice!

Ray.
        Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• vaking
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2005
          • Montclair, NJ, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3100-1

I just noticed the statement that this saw has a standard 1" arbor. I thought that arbors are 5/8" standard for 10" blades and 5/8" or 1" for 12" blades. Is it easy to find a 10" blade with 1" arbor?
          Alex V

Comment

• Navycraig
            Forum Newbie
            • Aug 2006

Thanks much for the advice. I think I'll pass at this point and wait until I can buy one that I have personally seen first.
            Thanks again.

Comment

• rg32
              Established Member
              • Jul 2004
              • Barre, Vermont, USA.

If my memory serves me this saw was hashed around a few years back as being similar to or if not the same as the earlier version of the SCMS sold by HF and not the present one?
              Just a thought....
              If you are looking for a SCMS that gets the job done with out a big cash lay out you might consider the GMC that is sold at Lowes.
              I’ve had mine for going on two years and it has done me well both for wood working and home renovations the only thing I did was change the blade.
              Last edited by rg32; 09-19-2006, 12:14 PM.

Comment

• ironhat
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2004
                • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Also, consider a 12" saw if you think that you'll ever be doing anything with a deeper cut than 4". I was cutting some baseboard with mine and at a little less than 4" the arbor flanges got in the way. I never thought about it - wish I had.
                Blessings,
                Chiz

Comment

• messmaker
                  Veteran Member
                  • May 2004
                  • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
                  • Ridgid 2424

I have the HF 10" slider and it is great for rough work. I don't think I would use it to build furniture. I probably have a $50 blade on my other CMS when the whole saw and blade at HF cost $80. I keeep this in mind when I set my expectations.
                  spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

• messmaker
                    Veteran Member
                    • May 2004
                    • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
                    • Ridgid 2424

I have the HF 10" slider and it is great for rough work. I don't think I would use it to build furniture. I probably have a $50 blade on my other CMS when the whole saw and blade at HF cost $80. I keep this in mind when I set my expectations.
                    spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

Working...