• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mackmack
    Established Member
    • Apr 2006

Band Saw Help

I just bought a delta bandsaw for 100.00

Will this be able to cut 1-2" diameter Bamboo(tonkin)?? Also, what blade would you reccomend to do so? Any good brands as well?

Thanks
  • Tom Hintz
    • Feb 2004
    • Concord, NC, USA.

Not knowing what size your bandsaw is, this will be a guess.
    I don't see a problem cutting bamboo with just about any bandsaw. The key are setting it up as per the instructions and using a good blade.

The blade part is the easy one. Just call Timber Wolf, tell them what length your blades are and what you want to do and they will get you the right ones for the job, at a good price. These folks make (my opinion and lots of others) the best blades in the business and have the best customer service I have seen. The people that answer the phone really know their stuff.

I have a review (sort of my bandsaw blade revelation) at the link below with more info on Timber Wolf (Suffolk Machine).

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/tmwlfblde.html
    Tom Hintz
    NewWoodworker.com LLC

Comment

• mackmack
      Established Member
      • Apr 2006

Great article Tom.

I will give Timberwolf a call today.

Comment

• ExYankee
        Established Member
        • Mar 2005
        • Pleasant View, Tn.
        • BT3100-frankensaw

"Bamboo (Tonkin)" means only one thing to me. Fine Flyrods.
        If you are going to be making your own blanks, I would be very interested in a Granger style (swelled butt) 7~8 ft, two peice with extra tip!

Keep us up to date on your progress please with some pics if you can.
        John Dyer
        ExYankee Workshop...

I think history would have been very much different if Leonardi DiVinci had a belt sander.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

The bandsaw would be my choice for cutting hollow bamboo with it's tendency to splinter. Slow feed with a 1/4" 6 tpi hook.

A bandsaw is probably the most versatile machine you have, mack. But regardless of how big and how expensive the BS is, they all have one thing in common. They are the most finicky power tool you have. The best and the worst will cut poorly without proper set-up, matching the correct blade to job, etc.

I realize you only payed $100 for the saw, but another $19 for Lonnie Byrd's "The Bandsaw Book" would be money well spent and could save a lot of frustration if you are not familar with bandsaws.

Good luck...

Comment

• mackmack
            Established Member
            • Apr 2006

Thanks Sarge I will look into getting that.

I called TimberWolf today and told them what saw I had and what I wanted to do(cut bamboo) and the guy on the line gave me the best blade for it($50 for 2 shipping included). So hopefully I am set in that regard.

I also talked to a guy who deals bamboo for a living and he provided some techniques of slowly rolling the bamboo through the saw.

I will try to keep everyone updated.

Comment

• Tom Miller
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2003
              • Twin Cities, MN
              • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Two things:

1. Is Timberwolf not doing their "4 blades for the price of 3" deal any more? You might want to call them back -- they'll adjust your order if the deal is still going on (and I thought it was on-going deal; promotion code "443", get it?).

2. Spinning the stock while cutting should (obviously does) work, but you could also put masking tape around the stock to support the fibers, and cut through that.

Regards,
              Tom

Comment

Working...