X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mackmack
    Established Member
    • Apr 2006

Cutting Bamboo

This is an odd question and I won't be surprised if I don't get a reply.

I am trying to cut bamboo(haven't received it yet in the mail), has anyone ever done this and if so can you recommend any tools or techniques for doing so?

I mean in terms of cutting holes into it to connect it together with other pieces of bamboo.

I will also need to cut it down to a manageable length. I figure I will just put it in a vice(I am talking about 1" diameter Bamboo) and cut it either with a circular saw or just a hand saw.

Just wondering if anyone has ever dealt with this stuff and they could provide some tips. Thanks!
  • kwgeorge
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Alvin, TX, USA.

Bamboo is very splintery and tears easily. For power cutting I would probably use a high tooth count crosscut blade and for hand cutting a Hacksaw. It will also help if you score it with a sharp knife where you intend to cut to pre-sever the fibers. When drilling use sharp bits and apply blue tape over the surface to be drilled prior to actually drilling the hole.

Ken

Comment

• HarmsWay
      • Nov 2003
      • Victoria, BC
      • BT3000

I've trimmed bamboo blinds and also helped a friend install prefinished bamboo flooring. Sounds like yours is unprocessed bamboo. I think bamboo is reason Japanese style saws exist. I used my "construction" Japanese saw (14 TPI?) on the blinds and the flooring - worked great for both. I could even rip the flooring with it. That's a small sample though so maybe my bamboo was just well-behaved. Do you need an excuse to get a nice dozuki?

Comment

• jziegler
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2005
        • Salem, NJ, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3100

I built a small fence with raw bamboo. It's actually pretty easy to cut, but it does splinter a lot. For an outside, somewhat rustic fence, I didn't care. I have used my CMS with a fine crosscut blade, and it did fine. I also used the backsaw that comes with a stanley miter box, and that cuts it pretty easily, but does splinter it a good bit. A regular drill bit drills right through it, the front comes out OK, but the back can splinter it a lot. If you can back it up easily (I couldn't, long story.....) you might be OK there too.

Also, a heavy tree type pruner will cut through it to get the length managable, but will leave rough ends. That's how I got most of what I used cut down at my in laws hous.

Jim

Comment

Working...