• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • swilkinson
    Forum Newbie
    • Jun 2006
    • Marietta, GA

Router Table Lift

Having not yet used my new Bosch 1617 I need some advice.

I bought the Rockler offset router table and plate when it was on sale for $119 + tax and was planning to build a cabinet for it. I spent another $20 on the table and fence featherboard kit bringing the total to around $150.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=16372

Thanks to the bargain alert forum I've noticed there is a JessEm Rout-R-Lift FX system available for about the same as I paid for my Rockler table, plate and accessories.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=228013

The Rockler table and plate are still unopened so I can return them.

Here are the issues as I see them:

1) The Rockler table comes with a fence, miter slot and dust collection. If I get the JessEm I'd have to build it all from scratch plus there would be some extra money to do so.

2) The Rockler plate is aluminum where as the JessEm is phenolic. (Is aluminum vs phenolic an issue?)

3) The JessEm offers above the table bit changing and MAYBE a little easier bit height adjustment. Is this worth building the table and fence myself?

Would you return the Rockler table, purchase the JessEm lift and build a table and fence from scratch or would you stick with the Rockler setup? Why?

Does anyone have experience with the Rout-R-Lift FX specifically?

Thanks for your help!

Scott
    Last edited by swilkinson; 08-23-2006, 09:50 AM.
  • final_t
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003

Get the lift and make the table + fence yourself; you can totally make it for less than the $120 you spent (it's just mdf and t-tracks).
    Amazon has the lift on sale for 10% off, plus $25 off if you order $199 or more.

Comment

• bigsteel15
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2006
      • Edmonton, AB
      • Ryobi BT3100

Looks like the Jessem works out to $129.
      Go for it!!
      Build your own table/fence etc.
      The Jessem is really nice unit and they stand by their product. If the phenolic ever were to warp, I believe they would replace it.
      Brian

Welcome to the school of life
      Where corporal punishment is alive and well.

Comment

• JimD
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2003
        • Lexington, SC.

I built two router tables before my current table. The first two did not have a lift, the current one does. A lift is a huge asset. I do not use it to change bits. I use the lift to get the bit at the right height. It is so much easier to do this from the top as opposed to reaching underneith to move a threaded rod on a plunge router or use the height adjustment on the router base of a fixed base router. I do not see how you could regret choosing the lift.

Jim

Comment

• swilkinson
          Forum Newbie
          • Jun 2006
          • Marietta, GA

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

I went ahead and ordered the Rout-R-Lift FX.

Of course I waited too long and missed the $159 - 10% but when the price went back to $199.99 the $25 off kicked in and the 10% off was now worth $20 instead of $16. So, I still picked it up for $155 total.

Comment

• drumpriest
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2004
            • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
            • Powermatic PM 2000

Rockler also sells the rout-r-lift FX for thier table. It's a nice lift, and well worth it. I would agree that if you can do it cheaper you should build your own table and go for a lift.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...t&cookietest=1
            Keith Z. Leonard
            Go Steelers!

Comment

• swilkinson
              Forum Newbie
              • Jun 2006
              • Marietta, GA

Interesting note about the Rockler FX lift:

I ended up keeping the Rockler table because the sales associate assured me my standard FX lift would fit the Rockler table. Turns out the lift I ordered (Amazon says) has a plate 9 1/4 x 11 3/4. Not the same size as Rockler's 8 x 11.

Now I've got to decide if I want to try to widen the Rockler opening or build a table myself. After returning the Rockler router plate the table ended up only costing me $80 which includes the adjustable fence with t-tracks and the aluminum miter track. I don't think I could duplicate this table at that price and I would still have to do the labor. Of course if I screw up the opening I've got an $80 MDF floormat with a big hole in it.
              Last edited by swilkinson; 08-26-2006, 08:05 AM.

Comment

Working...