This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dshields

Which router for B3100?

I've never used a router ... been waiting until I had a need.

I now have a need, wanting to put a radius edge on ripped decking planks.

Which router that will bolt onto my table saw would be best for this and general purpose future needs?

BTW, I love this table saw!

Thanks,

David
  • steve-norrell
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • The Great Land - Alaska
    • BT3100-1

An answer and a question . . . .

I have a Craftsman plunge router (Model 315.175340) mounted to my 3100 and find it adequate for putting a 45 degree chamfer on long pieces of wood. I mounted the Craftsman because I had several long pieces of wood to deal with and I didn't have any free space long enough to clamp the wood down so I could hand route the piece. It worked fine for my purposes.

Nevertheless, I could not consider the Craftsman to be the best choice if you were doing lots of router work. These forums have lots of suggestions about which kind of router to use and, as usual, the suggestions are excellent.

Now for the question: Does anyone have suggestions about mounting a router table to the 3100 that would accommodate a router lift? I would be interested either in mounting a new table or adapting the Ryobi accessory table. Space limitations preclude a separate router table.

Good luck and thanks.

Steve

Comment

• LinuxRandal
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Independence, MO, USA.
      • bt3100

As you say you DON'T have a router, I would say, get a 2hp router combo. You can set up a platform/router/bt extension table (with one of the commonly discussed router lifts, I don't have one or preference), then use one of the other handles seperately.

From the combo's recommended to me, that would be Dewalts DW618 series, or Bosch 1617 series.

Plunge router only, DW621, Triton, etc.
      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

Working...