• Show
Clear All
  • gimpy
    Established Member
    • Nov 2004
    • Flagstaff, AZ.
    • BT3100

Which jig saw to buy

Looking at buying one of home depot's cheap jig saws. The max I want to spend is in the $70 to $80 range. I just looked at a couple this evening. They have a Ryobi ($70) and a Skil ($80) that looked to be pretty comparable to each other, only ten bucks difference in price. They may have also had a Black And Decker in that price (can't remember, though).

The sales guy said that the Skil was the better of the two. Anyone have a clue which is the better tool/company? I already have an older cheap Skil, but the last time or two, it hasn't cut real well, so wish to get another, hopefully somewhat better, jigsaw.

Of these two companies, which has the better build quality do you think? Or is it a toss up? I was looking at the Ryobi just because it is ten bucks cheaper, although they also had a Skil for $50.

What is the general consensus here, Ryobi or Skil? All features relatively the same on the two units.

Thx, Frank
    Frank, "Still the one"
  • mpauly
    Established Member
    • Apr 2006
    • NJ

Spring for the $99 Ridgid.....it's made by metabo (very similar if not the same as their $180 saw) and by all accounts a great saw.

Comment

• maxparot
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
      • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

At that price point both saws will leave a lot to be desired. If the choice is simply between the 2 save the extra $10. The Ridgid that was suggested is a good deal for the price but there are significantly better jigsaws available. A Bosch 1587AVS can be found for around $99 as a factory reconditioned unit and you'd be hard pressed to find a better jigsaw at any price.
      Opinions are like gas;
      I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• jabe
        • Apr 2006
        • Hilo, Hawaii
        • Ryobi BT3000 & Delta Milwaukee 10" tilting Table circular saw

Go with the Bosch, smooth running machine.

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

I vote for the Bosch also. As for your decision, I'm not familiar with the specs of your choices, so my advice is based entirely on making a general decision. What I look for is a high amperage (5-6) or better, 1" stroke, and keep in mind the types of blade used (universal and "T" shank) if it matters.

"I'M NEVER WRONG - BUT I'M NOT ALWAYS RIGHT"

Comment

• drumpriest
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2004
            • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
            • Powermatic PM 2000

Bosch bosch bosch bosch
            Keith Z. Leonard
            Go Steelers!

Comment

• Popeye
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2003
              • Woodbine, Ga
              • Grizzly 1023SL

Another vote for the Bosch. It would probably be the last jigsaw you ever buy. ON another note....... run from the skill. I bought one before I bought the Bosch and it's the most sorry POS I ever purchased. An absolute waste of good natural recources. Pat
              Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• leehljp
                Just me
                • Dec 2002
                • Tunica, MS
                • BT3000/3100

I don't know if you have a Harbor Freight near by, but their Bosch Clone for about $60.00 is in your price range and it is a very good cutting saw. Grizzly at www.grizzly.com also offers the Bosch clone for about $60/$70 dollars. I haven't checked in a long time. While the HF and Grizzly are not quite the real Bosch, those that own them say they are very good saws. I have the HF and a $140 PC. I like the action on the HF much better than the PC.
                Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Ken Massingale
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Liberty, SC, USA.
                  • Ridgid TS3650

Bosch.
                  CPOTOOLS has the 1587avsk (factory reconditioned) with case on special for $100
                  http://bosch.cpotools.com/saws/jig_s...87avsk-46.html

Try to spend another $20 and get the last jigsaw you will ever need or want.
                  ken

Comment

• BigguyZ
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2006
                    • Minneapolis, MN
                    • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

I vote for the Bosch as well. CPO tools also has the newer 1590 reconditioned as well.

Another great option is to look for deals online or at local pawn shops. I recently picked up a used 1587 from a pawn shop for only $65. I was torn about if I should have spent the $$, but man was it worth it.

Comment

• Hoover
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2003
                      • USA.

I own the Bosch 1587 model, it is very smooth operating, and cuts great with the Bosch blades. I also own the Grizzly model, based on the earlier version of the Bosch. I also use Bosch blades on it. The Grizzly model has some vibration, and has fewer bells and whistles. Get the Bosch!!!
                      No good deed goes unpunished

Comment

• os1kne
                        • Jan 2003
                        • Atlanta, GA
                        • BT3100

I have the Grizzly clone of the old Bosch. I think I paid $60 for it about 3 yrs. ago. It is a decent jigsaw and is definitely superior to the Ryobi, B&D, and Skil jigsaws. The Grizzly comes with a handful of blades, but they should only be used for cutting up garbage into a more manageable size. I use Bosch blades for anything that matters. The main complaint that I have about the Grizzly is that it lacks a tool-less blade change.

If I were in your shoes, I would spring for the Bosch - it is the king of jigsaws. You will likely be using your jigsaw for many years, so you may as well get one that you will love to use.
                        Bill

Comment

• jAngiel
                          • Oct 2003
                          • Ryobi BT3100

You could get the impression that we are tool snobs here but we really aren't! Most of us here have already been in your shoes and did what you are suggesting to do, purchase an inferior tool.

I used to sit here and read the threads with my little craftsman in the garage, asking myself what the big deal was. I found a deal on the Bosch 1587 at HD so I thought I would try it out..... It absolutely blows away any cheapo saw out there. I think the phrase is "cuts like a hot knife through butter".

I can't comment on the brands that you were asking about but if you really need/want to stay in that range than I would go for one of the clones. Although I am sure there are other good brands out there, I do have the bosch. Not the newest and greatest, just the 1587 but I was even able to "resaw" some 8ft 4x4 teak into boards using the 1587 and a bosch blade.

We're not tool snobs, just trying to convince someone else to avoid making the mistake a lot of us already made...
                          Last edited by jAngiel; 08-11-2006, 07:52 AM.
                          James

Comment

• Ken Massingale
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Liberty, SC, USA.
                            • Ridgid TS3650

"We're not tool snobs, just trying to convince someone else to avoid making the mistake a lot of use already made..."

Well said, James.
                            ken

Comment

• brooks
                              Established Member
                              • May 2006

Bosch. It's been the gold standard for decades now. Don't buy less. A reconditioned Bosch is better than the best new Skil.

Comment

Working...