• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wrogers509
    Forum Newbie
    • Nov 2005
    • nj, USA.

baseboard moulding

Hope this isn't a silly question, but I'm stumped. Helping the SIL finish his renovation. All that's left to do is the moulding. The baseboard he bought is 7 inches tall. I've installed baseboard before but its only been around 4 inches tall. How do I make cuts in the 7 inch stuff that won't fit in my 10 inch miter saw.

Is it time for a bigger saw?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Wayne
  • RayintheUK
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2003
    • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Lay it flat and bevel cut it - tilt the saw blade sideways.

Ray.
    Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• wrogers509
      Forum Newbie
      • Nov 2005
      • nj, USA.

Ray Thanks for the reply.

My saws capacity is 5.5 inches. That gets me 5.5 inches through the 7 inch moulding. I guess I would hand cut the rest.

Comment

• RayintheUK
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2003
        • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
        • Ryobi BT3000

Sorry about that - I thought that you had a 10" capacity (front to back) from your post and were having trouble trying to cut it vertically.

You could finish the cut by hand. If you've got a hand plane, you could swiftly set up a shooting board, finisd the cut a little strong, then plane it flush.

As for "bigger saw?" - definitely (surprised you needed to ask!)

Ray.
        Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• WayneJ
          • Jan 2004
          • Elmwood Park, New Jersey, USA.

Do it on your table saw.. Tilt the blade to 45 deg and miter cut it.Have someone support the other end
          Wayne
          Wayne J

Comment

• jAngiel
            • Oct 2003
            • Ryobi BT3100

Easiest would be to use corner blocks and just do a straight cut with a circular saw, no bevels needed. If you have a long wall, put a decorative block in the middle. The blocks are simple enough to make yourself, no need to purchase.
            James

Comment

• cabinetman
              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

Wayne

When I was young like you and broke, and didn't have a RAS, I simply made a crosscut jig for a circular saw. It's a lot like the attachment, except for it dedicated to a circular saw, not a router. Oh, the one pictured does real fast easy setups for routing dadoes. The difference being that for the saw, the first pass will cut off the right leg of the jig to exactly where the blade starts cutting. You could even make the pass at 45 deg if you want. Heck, they are easy to make. With that, put your mark on the moulding and simply run the saw over it. BTW, you may not need to use the clamp if you can get a good grip with your free hand. This jig is for a right hander (that could be you). I forgot to add that the long part of the "T" doesn't have to be split for the clamp, that is your disgression. The one pictured will accomodate a four foot dadoe.

"I'M NEVER WRONG - BUT I'M NOT ALWAYS RIGHT"
              Attached Files
              Last edited by cabinetman; 08-03-2006, 03:24 PM.

Comment

• wrogers509
                Forum Newbie
                • Nov 2005
                • nj, USA.

Cabinetman

Thanks!!! I think that will work just fine.

Comment

• scorrpio
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2005
                  • Wayne, NJ, USA.

And for those too lazy to build a jig - a speed square makes for an excellent circ. saw guide... After I bought mine (12") I learned why it's called 'speed square' firsthand.

Comment

• JimD
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2003
                    • Lexington, SC.

I have not done this yet but I've seen pictures of people using little portable stationary sanders to clean up and fine tune moulding cuts. If you have one, you may want to consider. My cuts with circular saws are not as nice as on my CMS. A block plane will do the same thing, especially if you take a few minutes to make a shooting board for it (I have done this).

Jim

Comment

Working...