Do I need the blade guard if I buy this?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • mackmack
    Established Member
    • Apr 2006
    • 106

    #1

    Do I need the blade guard if I buy this?

    I am thinking about purchasing the "GRR-Ripper" tool. http://www.microjig.com/GRR-Ripper.htm

    In all the pictures there is no blade guard or kick back prongs being used??? It seems as if you couldn't use those with this...

    Is this safe? I have heard great reviews on these forums regarding this product. It seems like it would be helpful for the small thin "1/2-3/4" pieces I often need to rip for projects I do.

    I would contact the manufacturer of the GRR-Ripper but something tells me they might not be perfectly objectionable given a potential sale. I trust you guys though. Thanks for any and all input.
  • Whaler
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • 3281
    • Sequim, WA, USA.
    • DW746

    #2
    I have a GRR-Ripper and tried it a couple times then retired it to my junk box. I'll stick to the Shark Guard and a push stick.
    Dick

    http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

    Comment

    • cbrown
      Established Member
      • Feb 2006
      • 127
      • Massachusetts
      • BT3100

      #3
      The Grr-Ripper is great for certain cuts. Ideally, as with the Shark Guard, you can leave the riving knife installed and just take off the guard (and pawls). With the stock knife and guard, you have to remove everything, because the guard won't detach from the knife and the knife is taller than the blade.

      For example, I have used the Grr-Ripper to cut dovetailed box sides to yield a base side and side of the top--these pieces are too short to rip safely using a push stick and featherboard (IMHO). It can take some fiddling to set up for a given cut, but while I don't use the Grr-Ripper for 90% of my cuts (using the guard in place instead and a push stick), I probably wouldn't make the other 10% without it.

      --------
      Christopher

      Comment

      • LinuxRandal
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2005
        • 4890
        • Independence, MO, USA.
        • bt3100

        #4
        Right you are Charlie Brown! (seconded what CBrown says)
        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

        Comment

        • Bruce Cohen
          Veteran Member
          • May 2003
          • 2698
          • Nanuet, NY, USA.
          • BT3100

          #5
          I found that for ripping and cutting dados, the GrrRipper can't be beat. I won two and use them on my router table too.

          Just be sure to leave your riving knife on. If you don't have one of Lee's, he has posted plans on how to cut down the stock one. But you still have to disassemble the guard and pawls (the stock ones which suck anyway)

          Bruce
          "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
          Samuel Colt did"

          Comment

          • Crockett
            Established Member
            • Mar 2003
            • 253
            • Buffalo, NY, USA.
            • BT3100

            #6
            Everyone's comfort level is different, and the projects we all do call for different things. I mostly make frames so I am usually ripping strips that are no more than 3" wide so I use the GRRRiper for everything except cross cuts.
            I also use a splitter, but no pawls or blade guard. To be honest I feel safer that way then using push sticks, guards and pawls. I control the pressure on the wood through the entire cut, my hand is safely away from the blade, and the chance for kick back is reduced by the pressure of the gripper on both sides of the splitter. It may not work for everyone but I am a big fan of it and recommend it to all.
            Al

            Comment

            • vaking
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2005
              • 1428
              • Montclair, NJ, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3100-1

              #7
              Grr_ripper and shark guard complement each other. There are cuts that require you to remove the guard (but hopefully not the splitter). Non-through cuts and ripping small stock are the best examples. In those situations grr-ripper is the right tool. And those cuts are the hardest and the most dangerous. Other cuts can be made with the guard in place and you will put grr-ripper away. In short - it is a tool that will help you in situations when you need help and is useless when you are fine without help.
              One comment - I have made my own version of grr-ripper that makes use of my left-side miter slot. While being based on a nice idea - paying $70 for a plastic gizmo was too much for me. As a result it is not as universal as original grr-ripper. It is made for my BT3100 only. If I need one for a router table - I will make another.
              Alex V

              Comment

              • jnesmith
                Senior Member
                • Jan 2003
                • 892
                • Tallahassee, FL, USA.

                #8
                Originally posted by Crockett
                Everyone's comfort level is different, and the projects we all do call for different things. I mostly make frames so I am usually ripping strips that are no more than 3" wide so I use the GRRRiper for everything except cross cuts.
                I also use a splitter, but no pawls or blade guard. To be honest I feel safer that way then using push sticks, guards and pawls. I control the pressure on the wood through the entire cut, my hand is safely away from the blade, and the chance for kick back is reduced by the pressure of the gripper on both sides of the splitter. It may not work for everyone but I am a big fan of it and recommend it to all.
                I'm similar. Cut down splitter, no guard, no pawls. I use 2 grippers on all thin rips.
                John

                Comment

                • WEG
                  Established Member
                  • Nov 2003
                  • 298
                  • Nahant, MA.

                  #9
                  Hi MackMack;

                  I'm with Crockett on this one, the Grippper is the way to go as far as I'm concerned.

                  Hey Whaler, what other goodies do you have in that junk drawer? : )

                  Seriously, thinking about what you are about to do and stopping if it doesn't feel right is about the most important thing no matter what you use, Gripper, push sticks, etc. We all agree you need to be safe.

                  WEG

                  Comment

                  Working...