• Show
Clear All
  • steve-norrell
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • The Great Land - Alaska
    • BT3100-1

Glue respiratory problem

I am not sure that this is the best place to pose this question, but I could not find the information in any other forum.

Has anyone experienced respiratory irratation (like hayfever) from Gorilla Glue?

When I use the glue I have asthma-like symptoms beginning about an hour after using the glue and lasting for about 12 - 18 hours. I do not detect any specific odor when using the glue. I do not seem to have this problem with other glues (Titebond, etc.). The information, printed on the back side of the label, cautions about inhalation causing "physical discomfort".

Other than using a fume hood or doing the gluing outside, are there any more practical solutions? Which other glues would produce a strong bond and be relatively water resistant when dry?

Thanks for the help.
  • SARGE..g-47

I would try the newer Titebond III for water resistance, Steve. I believe I read the III has some type of marine approval. Might want to google for Tite-bond Glue and check that out along with any warnings.

Regards...

Comment

• steve-norrell
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2006
      • BT3100-1

Sarge:

I do have some TiteBond III and have used TiteBond II successfully. Also, I tried the Gorilla Glue because it does fill some voids, especially if one side of the joint can be hidden. I am not yet ready to give up on it.

I am working on a better dust collection / prevention system. I have a 20 gal. (largest) commercial Shop-Vac and I installed a 'dry-wall' quality bag. I just got a couple of packages of 2 1/2 fittings, hose and pipes and hope to get something together this weekend. A Shark Guard is "on order" and I am still looking at getting an air cleaner. I just don't have the room for a real dust collector.

Thanks for the suggestion. I guess I am intregued by the warning on the label about respiratory problems and the cautions for asthma-prone folks.

Regards.

Comment

• MilDoc

According to the MSDS for Gorilla Glue, MDI in the product is a stong sensitizer and may cause allergic reactions, and it specifically says to avoid skin and eye contact, and avoid inhalation of fumes.

If you have asthma, avoid it or use only with very good ventilation. It's also a mucus membrane irritant (ie, mouth, nose, throat, etc). This might account for "hay fever" like symptoms. The MSDS says to use "respiratory protection," but doesn't go beyond that.

guess your best bet is excellent ventilation, and maybe one of the great A-O Safety chemical masks.

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

Heed your symptoms. I've never used Gorilla glue, but some airborne stuff gets into your body through the skin, eyes, just about any orifice, depending on what you wear when you work. Don't take it lightly. Dust and toxic stuff will make me preach till the cows come home. It doesn't have to have a particular odor to be harmful. Ever heard of carbon monoxide?

"I'M NEVER WRONG - BUT I'M NOT ALWAYS RIGHT"

Comment

• IBBugsy
            Established Member
            • Jan 2006
            • Allentown, PA.
            • BT3100

I don't know anything about Gorilla Glue or Titebond but I do know that Isocyanates (MDI and others) are strong sensitizers as MilDoc says. I work in the chemical manufacturing business and we need to "screen" employees that work in the isocyanate areas since some people are so extremely sensitive that no amount of protection is adequate for them.

Regardless of what's causing the reaction, obviously you're having one. Heed what your body is telling you. Hopefully you'll find a different glue that will do the trick for you.
            Dave - Weekend Garage Junkie
            "I'm no physicist but I know what matters" - Popeye

Comment

• steve-norrell
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2006
              • BT3100-1

MilDoc, Cabinetman, IBBugsy:

Thanks for the input. You have pretty much confirmed what I had suspected, based on the asthma / hypersensitivity reaction I experienced. I have been forewarned and will avoid using Gorilla Glue but I also am paying a lot more attention to dust collection.

I do not have the floor space for a dedicated dust collector so I am using my 20 gal. Shop Vac with a "dry wall" type bag and various pipes and hoses. It is also time to invest in a good respiratory mask.

I know that these forums have lots of information about dust collection, but I guess I am still surprised by the lack of information on the problems with glue fumes, especially in light of the comments by MilDoc and IBBugsy.

Thanks again for all of the help.

Comment

• Tom Hintz
                • Feb 2004
                • Concord, NC, USA.

Steve,
                I would urge yo to mention this to your doctor and take a bottle of Gorilla Glue along with you so he/she can see what's in it. The sensitivity to the fumes could be a signal of other things you need to be aware of.
                A good friend of mine got headaches from lacquer and didn 't think anything about it as everybody know it stinks. He happened to mention it to his doctor and that reaction provided a clue that led to finding out he was alergic to a whole group of things not commonly associated with paints. He feels better all the time now and didn't even know he was having reactions to different things. Now that they have stopped he can see where the problems were.
                Tom Hintz
                NewWoodworker.com LLC

Comment

• IBBugsy
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2006
                  • Allentown, PA.
                  • BT3100

Originally posted by steve-norrell
                  I know that these forums have lots of information about dust collection, but I guess I am still surprised by the lack of information on the problems with glue fumes, especially in light of the comments by MilDoc and IBBugsy.
                  The isocyante sensitivity is rare at the levels found in most products but what's unusual is the severe reaction that manifests in some. In my industrial experience, the factory in question had hundreds of empoyees and only 2 or 3 "sensitive" people in the twenty years it was operated. For those people, however, the only recourse was a change in employment.

Similar to peanut allergies - very rare but very severe.
                  Dave - Weekend Garage Junkie
                  "I'm no physicist but I know what matters" - Popeye

Comment

• MilDoc

The best and most comfortable to wear dust mask I've ever tried (and I've tried a lot!) -- Dust Bee Gone:

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=2089

Comment

• steve-norrell
                      Veteran Member
                      • Apr 2006
                      • BT3100-1

Thanks for the continued input. I happen to have a history of sensitivity and really suffered during the 'hayfever season' when I lived on the East coast. Every once in a while I seem to run into something that triggers a response.

The link provided by MilDoc has its own link to a short article about sensitivity to specific woods. As noted above, I am not ready to dismiss the wood dust as a contributing factor.

http://www.woodcraft.com/articles.aspx?articleid=279

I certainly will take the advice about respirators and talking to my doctor.

Thanks again.

Comment

• brooks
                        Established Member
                        • May 2006

Originally posted by steve-norrell

Other than using a fume hood or doing the gluing outside, are there any more practical solutions? Which other glues would produce a strong bond and be relatively water resistant when dry?

Thanks for the help.
                        Hello - use a filter mask for organic solvents. Ask in the paint department of the local Home **** store. Save yourself. Why risk cell damage if you can so easily avoid it?

Comment

• steve-norrell
                          Veteran Member
                          • Apr 2006
                          • BT3100-1

Originally posted by brooks
                          Hello - use a filter mask for organic solvents. Ask in the paint department of the local Home **** store. Save yourself. Why risk cell damage if you can so easily avoid it?
                          Brooks:

You are right to suggest a filter mask that can protect against both particles and fumes. Of course, in about a 100 years, when my techniques and skills are such that I don't need glue, I can dispense with the heavier and bulkier fume masks.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...