• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • L. D. Jeffries
    • Dec 2005
    • Russell, NY, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Darkening metal

Does anyone know what chemical will darken metal? In the back of my mind I sort of remember something called "liver of sulfer". Point being have a new kitchen light fixture that is black wrought iron; am (per LOML) ordering drawer/cupboard door hardware that will match the light. All the hinges on the cupboards are an antique brass. Rather than change ALL the hinges, wondered if I could darken tham. Lessen the work as well as help out the old wallet!
    RuffSawn
    Nothin' smells better than fresh sawdust!
  • MilDoc

Liver of sulfur works on sterling silver and copper, but not on brass. No effect at all.

Ammonia will darken brass but since your hinges are antique brass I'm not certain it would work to blacken them. A cotton ball with ammonia, in a glass, works well. Rinse in water to stop the process.

There is a "Brass Darkening Solution" available to make shiny brass look antique, so it might not do what you want either.

You might have to remove the "antique" finish first.

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

It's possible that the hinges aren't really "antique brass" or even a brass base. The term "antique brass" may refer to the color finish. What I have done is to layout the hinges and simply find a spray can color of the finish color you want (it may take some experimenting) and blush spray the hinges without getting them too wet.

"I'M NEVER WRONG - BUT I'M NOT ALWAYS RIGHT"

Comment

• maxparot
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
        • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

I keep a bottle of G96 gun blue around. For iron or steel it does a nice job.
        Opinions are like gas;
        I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• L. D. Jeffries
          • Dec 2005
          • Russell, NY, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000

Thanks for all the replies. "Cabinetman" is probably right, they might not be brass, just steel. Hadn't thought about the gun blueing, that might just be the ticket. When I get to doing them I'll let ya'll know what did or didn't. Thanks again, as usual the forum didn't let me down!
          RuffSawn
          Nothin' smells better than fresh sawdust!

Comment

• Stytooner
            Roll Tide RIP Lee
            • Dec 2002
            • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
            • BT3100

I have used cold finish black oxide on raw steel. Its a two step dip and works pretty well on raw CLEAN steel. I think blueing really needs the same type prep as the black oxide. It's gotta be raw.
            Antique brass generally isn't antique brass unless it's antique brass. I know that sounds funny, but its basically true with most hardware you buy today. You can still get high end hardware that really is antique brass, but for the most part, today's hardware so labelled will be referring to the finish rather than the material it's made of. Cabinetman is on target there.
            I really think the best solution is his as well. Spray paint will most likely yield the best, most consistant and easiest finish to apply on finished hardware.
            Lee

Comment

Working...