X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mackmack
    Established Member
    • Apr 2006

Water and wood

I have been looking around and although I have seen a few products that claim they are able to waterproof wood I just don't know which to believe.

What I want to do is water proof the inside of a 5 inch by 5 inch plywood square to make a fountain. I have tried using a pond liner but its to hard to work with. The finish doesnt need to be smooth or prestine as it will be filled with water(hopefully).

I was thinking of maybe using some sort of polyurethaine and filling the whole thing up for like 15 minutes to soak in good and then empting it and letting it dry overnight... I don't know though.

I was thinking about some waterproof glues or something that I could "paint" in there somehow... I'm pretty much lost though.

I'm dying for some help.
  • Russianwolf
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
    • One of them there Toy saws

Epoxy Resin that you can get at any boat shop.
    Mike
    Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Mike has a good answer. It's also known as fiberglass resin. I think HD sells a fiberglass resin repair kit, that includes all the necessarey parts you might need for a small project. Take the bare interior wood and wet it with the resin/catalyst mix. press into the wet resin, fiberglass cloth (precut to fit because you won't have time once you mix in the catalyst to cut it up). Then while still wet, paint on more mixed resin till it's all saturated, pressing out all the bubbles. Once it has dried a couple of more coats of just plain resin mix will waterproof the wood. The cloth creates a bond of the resin to the wood. Although just the resin MAY waterproof, this method is usually infallible. Put on sufficient coats to smooth out the feel of the cloth. When totally done, sand off the rough edges that exist. Pay attention to the mix instructions, as more drops of catalyst may make it kick off too fast. The unused portion of your mix may get warm. Mix in a disposable cup. like the white paper ones for paint. There's usually an assortment of sizes suitable for fiberglass.

"I'M NEVER WRONG - BUT I'M NOT ALWAYS RIGHT"

Comment

• Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

Originally posted by cabinetman
        Pay attention to the mix instructions, as more drops of catalyst may make it kick off too fast.
        Too little and it won't harden...DAMHIKT!
        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
        Fools because they have to say something.
        Plato

Comment

• mackmack
          Established Member
          • Apr 2006

Thanks Guys, I LOVE these forums, you guys can answer anything!

I appreciate it.

Comment

• mackmack
            Established Member
            • Apr 2006

One last question, this fountain will only be holding about 6 cups of distilled water. So can I just use the epoxy resin to paint it in and skip the fiberglass part altogether?

From what I understand going through the fiberglass process would protect it from very warm and cold water as well as waves crashing against it and salt water.

Since my project is going to be an indoor, small fountain. Will one coat of a marine epoxy resin be good enough to handle the job?

Thanks so much guys, I appreciate your insight like always.

Comment

• Ken Weaver
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2004
              • Clemson, SC, USA
              • Rigid TS3650

Originally posted by mackmack
              One last question, this fountain will only be holding about 6 cups of distilled water. So can I just use the epoxy resin to paint it in and skip the fiberglass part altogether?

From what I understand going through the fiberglass process would protect it from very warm and cold water as well as waves crashing against it and salt water.

Since my project is going to be an indoor, small fountain. Will one coat of a marine epoxy resin be good enough to handle the job?

Thanks so much guys, I appreciate your insight like always.
              Think about it though - while its easier to skip the fiberglass, indoors is where you don't want a leak DAMHIKT.
              Ken Weaver
              Clemson, SC

"A mistake is absolute proof that someone tried to do something!

Comment

• mackmack
                Established Member
                • Apr 2006

I agree, but I want to make a lot of these and sell them and if doing the fiberglass is overkill for such a small amount of water and consistant environment, then I would rather not invest the time.

I made a test fountain that is held together only with titebound 2 weather resistant wood glue, it has been filled with water for 4 days now without any sign of leaking.

The fiberglass option will protect against freezing saltwater submerged on a boat going 20 knots... I have a small, almost handheld, indoor fountain...

If I can't use the epoxy resin, I will have to look into clear plastic coantainers bought in bulk, and then fashion the fountaint around it. I wont have time to do the fiberglass thing over and over again.

Comment

• Russianwolf
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2004
                  • Martinsburg, WV, USA.

two coat of the epoxy resin will probably do the trick. You just need to make sure that the entire interior surface is covered with no gaps. If there is any movement in the wood though, it may crack.
                  Mike
                  Lakota's Dad

Comment

• Russianwolf
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2004
                    • Martinsburg, WV, USA.

Just had a thought ( I knew I smelled something burning)

The best way to do this would be to cut your pieces. Coat them with the Epoxy Resin, then "glue" them together with Silicon Sealant. The Epoxy would waterproof the wood and the silicon would make the joints flexible and waterproof. Basically a small wooden aquarium.
                    Mike
                    Lakota's Dad

Comment

• mackmack
                      Established Member
                      • Apr 2006

That's a **** good idea Mike. I appreciate that.

I am going to first look into finding 5x5 clear plastic containers online. Since my fountains are square based and I plan to have a small lip on the front to conceal the container, it would be the easiest and most economical to just slide it in and silicone off the top edge. This would guard against pretty much everything.

If that doesnt work, I think your idea is my best bet. Thanks again, good thinking.

Comment

Working...