Info on ear protection

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • lcm1947
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • 1490
    • Austin, Texas
    • BT 3100-1

    #1

    Info on ear protection

    I was looking to replace my 20 some odd year shooting ear muffs that I've been using in the shop and ran across this site that I thought others would be interested in. Since I don't think all muffs and earplugs are created equal I am rather picky about relying on something this important to just buy any old set from any old body so thought I'd past the site along.http://www.elvex.com/banded-earplugs.htm Gee, you want me to do everything. Sorry about that. Guess I was in a hurry but here you go.
    Last edited by lcm1947; 07-09-2006, 08:09 PM.
    May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac
  • gerti
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2003
    • 2233
    • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
    • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

    #2
    And the site is?

    Comment

    • lcm1947
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2004
      • 1490
      • Austin, Texas
      • BT 3100-1

      #3
      I edited my first post so it now shows the site.
      May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac

      Comment

      • drumpriest
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2004
        • 3338
        • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
        • Powermatic PM 2000

        #4
        I personally use a set of "drummer ear plugs" that I got at Guitar Center a couple of years ago. Similar to the ones you've posted, but with 3 "flutes" or whatever you wanna call them. Attenuate around 29 db, easy in/out, comfy, and easily cleaned. 10$
        Keith Z. Leonard
        Go Steelers!

        Comment

        • lcm1947
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 2004
          • 1490
          • Austin, Texas
          • BT 3100-1

          #5
          And according to this info I may start wearing plugs and muffs. http://multimedia.mmm.com/mws/mediaw...60CCCOrrrrQ-ng
          May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac

          Comment

          • lcm1947
            Veteran Member
            • Sep 2004
            • 1490
            • Austin, Texas
            • BT 3100-1

            #6
            You have to look at this. http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/nois...sDatabase.html

            It is really neat. You can look at a lot of different tools by brand to see how loud each is.
            May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac

            Comment

            • Ken Weaver
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2004
              • 2417
              • Clemson, SC, USA
              • Rigid TS3650

              #7
              I got my muffs from HD - probably not the best, but they bring the noise level down significantly to where I feel safe with them. They were cheap enough where I keep a pair hanging on the BT3, router table and CMS. Also use them when I crank up the lawn tractor to cut the yard.
              Ken Weaver
              Clemson, SC

              "A mistake is absolute proof that someone tried to do something!

              Comment

              • lcm1947
                Veteran Member
                • Sep 2004
                • 1490
                • Austin, Texas
                • BT 3100-1

                #8
                That's one thing I never did, use them when mowing. I guess I'll start now after reading how high the noise gets. I'm actually amazed that much. I'll be wearing plugs for that though. It's way too hot here in Texas to wear the muffs in the summer anyway, now winter when snow is on the ground I mig.....Oh never mind.
                May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac

                Comment

                • paynea
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Jun 2006
                  • 30
                  • Massachusetts, USA
                  • Ryobi BT3100

                  #9
                  Even here in the NE it's a bit too hot/humid to use earmuff-style protectors for lawnmowing... I just grab a pair of disposable foam plugs out of the box of 1000 pairs I piced up from an online police supply place (www.botachtactical.com). I do use the earmuff-type hearing protectors in the shop and when running the snowthrower, where more than their sound insulating properties come in handy.

                  For big bore rifle usage however, my belt & suspenders approach is is plugs and muffs simultaneously. While the box of plugs is still at least 3/4 full, I'm down to my last pair of ears!

                  Adam

                  Comment

                  • lcm1947
                    Veteran Member
                    • Sep 2004
                    • 1490
                    • Austin, Texas
                    • BT 3100-1

                    #10
                    I know everybody already knows this but for those that don't. http://www.aearo.com/pdf/hearingcons/87071.pdf and one more interesting sites. Shows you different tools, machines, etc sounds. Pretty darn interesting and useful.
                    Last edited by lcm1947; 07-12-2006, 06:53 PM.
                    May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac

                    Comment

                    • ironhat
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2004
                      • 2553
                      • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                      • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

                      #11
                      OK, I'll ask this knowing that I'm in for some ribbing. What do you do when you have big ear openings and the plugs just don't seal up? I use the muffs but having them both for shooting and mowing would be better for me. I started getting tinnitis back in the early 70's while working with air jacks on the railroad so I reaolly need to save what's left.
                      Later,
                      Chiz

                      edited for clarity
                      Blessings,
                      Chiz

                      Comment

                      • lcm1947
                        Veteran Member
                        • Sep 2004
                        • 1490
                        • Austin, Texas
                        • BT 3100-1

                        #12
                        Hey nobody's going to make fun of you around here big ears. Sorry just had to take that cheap shot. Anyway, well then you should look into the plugs that are kind of shaped like, well like a barrel. They are fuller and might do the trick for you. I unlike you don't have huge monstrous ears ( there I go again, sorry ) but I ran across one style that wouldn't seal for me either. They were good sellers or I assume but wouldn't work for me. Here's two examples of the ones I mean. http://www.gallawaysafety.com/index....ath=26_27ample.
                        Last edited by lcm1947; 07-16-2006, 08:51 PM.
                        May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac

                        Comment

                        • ironhat
                          Veteran Member
                          • Aug 2004
                          • 2553
                          • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                          • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

                          #13
                          Thanks for the link and the chuckles, Mac. Those look like they'll do the trick. I wish we had an industrial supplier nearby so that I could try'em out before buying a couple hundred.
                          Blessings,
                          Chiz

                          Comment

                          • bigsteel15
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2006
                            • 1079
                            • Edmonton, AB
                            • Ryobi BT3100

                            #14
                            These have the highest reduction of all the ones sold by LV.
                            They all also very comfortable.
                            http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...10&cat=1,42207
                            Brian

                            Welcome to the school of life
                            Where corporal punishment is alive and well.

                            Comment

                            • lcm1947
                              Veteran Member
                              • Sep 2004
                              • 1490
                              • Austin, Texas
                              • BT 3100-1

                              #15
                              Glad you took it that way ironhat. I couldn't resist. Yeah I wish a guy could buy samples of different ones so you could check them out before buying 200 of them. Ouch! Thanks bigsteel for the site and item. They look interesting and sure should do the trick at 25 dB's and would sure be cooler then earmuffs when it's 100 degrees in the shop. I may just very well try those out. I sure hope the plugs themselves last for a little while though. Rather expensive if not but probably will.
                              May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac

                              Comment

                              Working...