• Show
Clear All
  • jackellis
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

How to Dry Wood Blocks

I have several nice lengths of laurel from trees we recently cut down. Diameters are from about 5 to 10 or 12 inches. Lengths are around 4 ft.

I may cut some of it into boards but I'd like to use some for bandsaw boxes or other projects that require blocks instead of boards. For the boards, I know they have to be stacked, sticked and treated at the ends so they dry evenly. What I'd like is some advice on how to properly dry pieces for bandsaw boxes or turning blocks. I have a 14" bandsaw so trimming the logs should not be a problem.
  • denny
    Handtools only
    • Jun 2006

i have used the microwave before but not for that large of stock, the little woman had quite a shock when she open it to fix popcorn

Comment

• Ken Massingale
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Liberty, SC, USA.
      • Ridgid TS3650

Jack,
      I believe that for bandsaw boxes it would be better to board them then glue them back together after they are dry, unless you want to wait years for them to dry. 1 year per inch for drying is normal for boards up to ~ 3 inches, longer per inch for thicker boards and logs.
      For turning blocks, turn them green down to about 1/2" walls (assuming bowls here) and store them in shavings in a brown paper bag until they dry. They will probably warp some but shouldn't crack if they dry slowly. Put them back on the lathe and return. Still, I've had several that cracked and or warped after final turning after I opened the inner wood to air.
      Good luck, remember, if it cracks or warps, just make something smaller with it!
      HTH
      ken

Comment

• gerti
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2003
        • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
        • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

No matter how you proceed, get the endgrain sealed right away. Some woods only take hours to produce cracks, and once the cracks are there they tend to travel into the wood. With the endgrain sealed you can leave them (ventilated) until you have a better idea what you want to do with them.

Comment

Working...