• Show
Clear All
  • LarryG
    The Full Monte
    • May 2004
    • Off The Back
    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Painting The Ends of Green Lumber

I have just come into (finally!) my first decent stash of green lumber at a decent price. Up until now I've always worked with either S4S lumber, or (more often) rough lumber that was already seasoned. I've got the green wood stacked and stickered, but I need to paint the ends of the boards to help prevent checking.

Most people seem to use whatever old house paint they have left over, but ... is that truly an adequate solution? Does it matter if it's latex or oil based? Any other advice?

Thanks ...
    Larry
  • ExYankee
    Established Member
    • Mar 2005
    • Pleasant View, Tn.
    • BT3100-frankensaw

I got 1100 bf of lumber from three trees I had cut down on my property and did some research into this. I called the Anchorseal folks looking for a local source and there was no one near so I asked the reps opinion of the similar product at woodcraft he chuckled and said it was one of their products too.
    I cant recall the price but it was cheaper the name brand, 1 gallon more than covered all the ends and some turning blanks and I think I have about a pint or so left. It is WAY different than latex paint looks sort of like thin Elmer’s going on but clears as it dries and a definite waxy film is formed.

One wood of advice DO THIS TODAY! It really matters. The longer it sits without sealing the more splits and check form.
    John Dyer
    ExYankee Workshop...

I think history would have been very much different if Leonardi DiVinci had a belt sander.

Comment

Working...