• Show
Clear All
  • captbooshz
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2006
    • West Monroe, LA, USA
    • BT3100

Brass Router Bushings - Woodcraft vs. Rockler

Can anyone give me an experienced comparision between the brass router bushing sets that Woodcraft and Rockler offer?

Just from what I've read, I had decided that I would go with the Woodcraft set. The .240 depth on all the guides seems intelligent, allowing 1/4" templates, vs. most of the other sets I've seen that have much deeper depths on the larger diameter guides. Would you agree or disagree?

Rockler has their set on sale now for $19.99. A month or so ago, Woodcraft had theirs on sale and I missed it. I don't need them immediately, so I had decided to wait and see if Woodcraft would have them on sale again sometime in the next few months. Besides the shorter depth, they seem about the same.

Thanks for your input.

Brian.
  • Thom2
    Resident BT3Central Research Ass.
    • Jan 2003
    • Stevens, PA, USA.
    • Craftsman 22124

I have both styles .... definately buy the woodcraft set and don't look back. The other style is pretty much useless IMO. I wish I knew then what I know now
    If it ain't broke.. don't fix it!!!... but you can always 'hop it up'
    **one and only purchaser of a BT3C official thong**

Comment

• bigsteel15
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2006
      • Edmonton, AB
      • Ryobi BT3100

I'll second that.
      I've been wondering recently why the Bosch set has all these long bushings.
      Even the ShopFox set I have is a little too long (1/4") for the General DT jig I have.
      Keeping my eyes open for a shorter set.
      Brian

Welcome to the school of life
      Where corporal punishment is alive and well.

Comment

• gmack5
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Quapaw, Oklahoma, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000SX & BT3100

I also have both the Rockler and the Woodcraft sets and like Thom2, had I gotten the Woodcraft (.240") set first, I would never have looked back.
        Stop thinking why you can't and Start thinking how you CAN!
        Remember, SUCCESS comes in CANS!
        George

Comment

• Bollox
          Established Member
          • Nov 2003
          • Indianapolis, IN, USA.

I bought the Rockler set, and fairly soon ended up shortening them all to a bit less than 1/4 inch. I did it in a lathe, but you could do it with a hacksaw and file. Thats probably how I'll do my Bosch bushings rather than trying to chuck them up in the lathe.
          Eagle America has a short PC style set which is often on sale.
          Mike

Comment

• os1kne
            • Jan 2003
            • Atlanta, GA
            • BT3100

I discovered the same problem yesterday - I went to use my Rockler bushings and found that they were too long to use with several of my router bits. Not good. I'm not sure what the designers were thinking - they could have saved a lot of material AND made a better product in the process (most problems seem to be the other way, where if the manufacturer spent a few more pennies, the product would be much nicer.)
            Bill

Comment

• L. D. Jeffries
              • Dec 2005
              • Russell, NY, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000

Router Bushings

Definately go with the Woodcraft set. I've had a set for years; the biggest selling point was the standard height of the bushings! No fiddling around building up a template or anything else. Easiest template material is tempered masonitte which is 1/4 inch thick, not too expensive and easy to use; I've also used 1/4 inch MDF for templates. That works great too!
              RuffSawn
              Nothin' smells better than fresh sawdust!

Comment

• captbooshz
                Forum Newbie
                • Feb 2006
                • West Monroe, LA, USA
                • BT3100

Thanks to all for your input. Mike, thanks for pointing me to Eagle America; I hadn't checked there. Looks like their set is virtually identical to the Woodcraft set, only theirs are a tad shorter. They have them on sale now for $20, $26 shipped. I'm thinking I may just go ahead with those.

Thanks again.

Brian.

Comment

• djmst38
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Feb 2006

I have also been looking at these but am wondering if they will fit any router? I have a Dewalt router I use for hand routing.

Comment

• bigsteel15
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2006
                    • Edmonton, AB
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by djmst38
                    I have also been looking at these but am wondering if they will fit any router? I have a Dewalt router I use for hand routing.
                    They will fit any router that has a 1-3/16" (I think that's right) hole designed for "PC" bushings.
                    Some routers have an adapter you need to affix first.
                    Brian

Welcome to the school of life
                    Where corporal punishment is alive and well.

Comment

• RickT
                      Established Member
                      • Jun 2003

I picked up the Woodcraft set a few sales ago. They're on sale quite often. I looked at the Rocker and Woodcraft. I decided on the Woodcraft because of the shorter length and sizes in the kit. The Woodcraft set includes a guide bushing with a 1" OD, which I needed. The Rockler set goes only to 51/64".
                      Rick

Comment

Working...