• Show
Clear All
  • asphalt-proof
    Forum Newbie
    • May 2006
    • NC
    • none... yet

Jet benchtop saw

I went to my local HD yesterday to buy a BT 3100 only to find that they no longer carry it. Online store states: Temporarily Unavailable Online - Check Your Local Store

So my back up table saw purchase is the Jet benchtop. Does anyone have an opinion or recommendations on this saw? ["Jet benchtop saw"]http://www.southern-tool.com/store/jet_benchtop_tablesaw.html[/URL]
  • Sawatzky
    Established Member
    • Apr 2005
    • CA
    • Ridgid TS3650

If you can get a BT, I think you will be much happier. The BT has a larger rip capacity, the table is bigger, has been used by many people who know how to fix anything that could go wrong on it, and seems to be better constructed IMO. I believe the Jet you are looking at is the lowest model that Jet makes as far as quality and price go. It is a shame that the BT's are being discontinued. I would check around at some other Home Depots to see if you can find one or look for a used one. If you can't buy at BT, but need to stay in the Bt's price range, I would look closely at the Craftsman version. It is basically the same saw with a few changes, and includes the accessory kit. If you can find it in sale it may not be too much more money.

Comment

• sweensdv
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • WI
      • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

In the price range of the BT, you should be able to find a used Contractor Style tablesaw. Take a look at the specs of almost any Contractor Saw and compare it to the Jet or even the BT for that matter and you'll see that you'll get more saw for your money.

As long as the person selling a used Contractor Saw took fairly good care of it there isn't a whole lot to be concerned about when buying a used TS. A little surface rust would be very easy to clean up and as long as the motor isn't toast you should be making sawdust immediately.

Just my $.02 worth.

Comment

• drumpriest
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2004
        • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
        • Powermatic PM 2000

That little jet is a belt driven saw, but I tend to agree with these guys. You can probably get close to a contractor saw for that price, and it's a big jump up in quality. I don't think that the Jet benchtop is anywhere near the BT in quality and ability.
        Keith Z. Leonard
        Go Steelers!

Comment

• Roger on the Rock
          Forum Newbie
          • Apr 2006
          • St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada
          • BT-3100

If you're close to the Canadian border, HD's here are still stocking them. I just bought my BT-3100 about 5 weeks ago and it was the last one in stock. Went in the other day and there are three more in boxes on the shelf. It is also still an "active" item in their system which means they are able to get it from their distribution centre.

Too bad I'm not still on Ontario. I could scoop up a few and shipping Stateside is pretty reasonable from there. Here in Newfoundland I'm sure it would be quite expensive.

Comment

• Pappy
            The Full Monte
            • Dec 2002
            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 (x2)

I think if the BT can't be found, I would look hard at the Hitachi C10FL at Lowe's. At $500 it looks like a decent saw.
            Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
            Fools because they have to say something.
            Plato

Comment

• masonsa

BT Search

If you keep looking, you may find a BT3100 at HD. I got a new one last night, after downloading all the stores in a 50 mi. radius, and calling around. There are still a lot of floor units out there too.
              Steve Mason

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2005
                • York, PA, USA.

With NC sales tax you are right at $300. You should easily be able to find a decent used Jet/Delta type contractor saw for that kind of $.
                Check ebay and craigslist. Watch bargin alerts portion of this site. A lot of folks scored Jet Contractor saws from Lowes for $150, regularly around $500.

This is $360 delivered :
                http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=228013
                Noted it has induction motor, but it does have steel wings, etc. Free shipping, no tax.

But again, I would wait on a killer deal on a new saw or find a good used one.

Comment

Working...