What kind of hinges should I use?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • xli1
    Established Member
    • May 2006
    • 151
    • Big Boston Area
    • Ryobi BT3100-1

    #1

    What kind of hinges should I use?

    I start to make kitchen cabinets recently. I am going to make the cabinet with face frame. I searched the web and found: Here

    Mepla 7/16" ACC 180 One-Piece Face Frame Hinge - 1 Pair
    Mepla 1/" ACC 180 One-Piece Face Frame Hinge - 1 Pair
    Mepla 1-1/4" ACC 180 One-Piece Face Frame Hinge - 1 Pair
    Mepla 1-3/8" ACC 180 One-Piece Face Frame Hinge - 1 Pair

    I was wondering what kind of hinge should I use? I am making doors and frames with 3/4" stock. What does 7/16", 1-1/4" and 1-3/8" means here? BTW, I am still a little bit confused about the difference of full overlay, half overlay, and insert. Thank you in advance for any kind of information and help.
    http://woodworkingdiy.googlepages.com
  • Tequila
    Senior Member
    • Aug 2004
    • 684
    • King of Prussia, PA, USA.

    #2
    Full overlay means that the door sits completely in front of the face frame.
    Half overlay means that the door has a rabbet cut around the back and sits partway inside of the cabinet opening
    Insert means that the door sits inside of the opening and flush with the face frame.

    The hinges you're looking at are for full overlay doors. The dimensions listed are the amount that the door overlays the face frame opening. So if you have a 20" cabinet opening, and a 22" door, you'll use the 1" hinge. A 22-1/2" door would need the 1-1/4" hinge.

    Here's some more detailed info on the hinges.

    http://www.cabinetparts.com/shop_200...72b6284f116500
    -Joe

    Comment

    • xli1
      Established Member
      • May 2006
      • 151
      • Big Boston Area
      • Ryobi BT3100-1

      #3
      Thanks Tequila! I now understand all these.
      http://woodworkingdiy.googlepages.com

      Comment

      Working...