• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jeffrey Schronce
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • York, PA, USA.

2 Finishing Tricks I Just Learned

1) You know how you get putty or filler into the grain of the surrounding wood when you try to fill a nail hole? Just place a piece of quick release masking tape where you will be shooting the nail. You can fill the hole through the hole created in the tape by the nail. When you are done just zip the tape right off.

2) You know how you can get finish in the rim of a metal can and then the lid will not fit properly? Take a awl and punch a few drainage holes in the lowest part of the rim. These holes will allow the product to go back into the can and will not cause evaporation because the lid will seal above them.
  • DaveW
    Established Member
    • Jul 2004
    • So Cal.

Originally posted by Jeffrey Schronce
    2) You know how you can get finish in the rim of a metal can and then the lid will not fit properly? Take a awl and punch a few drainage holes in the lowest part of the rim. These holes will allow the product to go back into the can and will not cause evaporation because the lid will seal above them.
    On a related note, has anyone tried using those plastic paint can "lip"s with wood finishes? I've used them with paints, and they've worked great for me - and they keep the paint out of the rim altogether.

Comment

• Tom Miller
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2003
      • Twin Cities, MN
      • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

2) You know how you can get finish in the rim of a metal can and then the lid will not fit properly?
      Geez, I always thought that finish around the rim was giving me a better seal. Maybe just the first time, though.

I like idea #1. I'm sure I'll forget it by the time I need it, though.

Regards,
      Tom

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2005
        • York, PA, USA.

Dave, I think they would work perfectly well with thicker items like straight poly. I think you would still get some in the lid of the can with Shellac Mixes, etc where there is lots of solvent. Of course lids don't get as stuck with high solvent finishes.

Tom, unless you were joking, my mileage varied greatly on that one! Ya, its not a big problem the first time, but after you mess up the lid getting it off because it is stuck . . . .

Comment

• Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

The holes in the rim I have done. I used the can spouts on the gal cans of stain when I did my porch. Worked great.

I'll have to remember the tape idea.
          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
          Fools because they have to say something.
          Plato

Comment

• davidtu
            • Apr 2006
            • Seattle, WA
            • BT3100

You know what they say, "TH... th.... th.....that's awl folks!"
            Never met a bargain I didn't like.

Comment

• Brian G
              • Jun 2003
              • Bloomington, Minnesota.
              • G0899

2(a). I use an old (small-sized) soup ladle instead of pouring finish (or paint) out of the can. Much less mess, and I can easily regulate the amount I extract.
              Brian

Comment

• mater
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • SC, USA.

I already use the nail hole in the cans but I will certainly remember to use the tape idea the next time I use a nail gun. It is a good idea and should save some sanding time. Thanks for posting it.
                Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• drumpriest
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2004
                  • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                  • Powermatic PM 2000

Jeff, both excellent ideas. I often don't use nails at all, but on some cabinet constructions, they make life easier. Very good tips, thanks for posting.
                  Keith Z. Leonard
                  Go Steelers!

Comment

• jhart
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2004
                    • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                    • BT3100

Been using nail holes in the cans for years. Works great!! Really like the idea #2. Sure would make clean up easier. Thanks for the tip Jeff.
                    Joe
                    "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• scoly
                      Established Member
                      • Jun 2003
                      • Lubbock, Texas, USA.

Been using the holes in the rim for a while. The tape idea is great. Thanks for sharing.
                      Steve
                      It\'s the combined experience of the members on this board that make it such a great place.

Comment

• Tom Miller
                        Veteran Member
                        • Mar 2003
                        • Twin Cities, MN
                        • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Tom, unless you were joking, my mileage varied greatly on that one! Ya, its not a big problem the first time, but after you mess up the lid getting it off because it is stuck . . . .
                        Yeah, it was a joke -- it's how I rationalize not cleaning the rim. Gonna try the holes now, though. Thanks!

I've been using the same rationalization when I use those disposable tupperware containers for finish. Only the first seal is enhanced by a little finish.

Regards,

Tom

Comment

• mschrank
                          Veteran Member
                          • Oct 2004
                          • Hood River, OR, USA.
                          • BT3000

I picked up that trick re: the holes around the rim awhile back. Usually works great, but one warning...I've opened some cans of (water based) paint to find rust around the holes and in the paint. Seems some cans are coated with something to keep the inside from rusting, but that coating is compromised when the holes are punched through it.
                          Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

• scorrpio
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2005
                            • Wayne, NJ, USA.

Think those tips were just printed in Woodsmith last month? Or was it FWW? Anyways, good ideas. For cans whose contents is going to be used in smaller quantities, I find 'spout lids' to be the best. For larger projects, where I am likely to use the whole can, I don't bother.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                              Veteran Member
                              • Nov 2005
                              • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by mschrank
                              I picked up that trick re: the holes around the rim awhile back. Usually works great, but one warning...I've opened some cans of (water based) paint to find rust around the holes and in the paint. Seems some cans are coated with something to keep the inside from rusting, but that coating is compromised when the holes are punched through it.
                              Absolutely. You can't punch the holes in water based products or you will get resulting rust. Be careful opening the lids as well, as I have scratched to coating off allowing rust. Best bet maybe to transfer a finish or paint you don;t use frequently to a plastic container.

Comment

Working...