This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • quest51210

HELP! New guy in the house

well i found a local member before i posted here. i am from san antonio, tx and my name is fernando. i am in the car audio/video industry and have used table saws, routers and a few of the most basic techniques in woodworking. most installers could give a rats behind on proper woodworking techniques, but i want to learn more as i find that having a deeper understanding of any feild will increase the quality of one's work. i need advice on my first table saw and router as well as make some good friends on here. please let me know and just wanted to officially say hello!
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Hi Fernando - You're smart to learn more about any power tool. In a split second they can change your life with an accident, and understanding proper use can significantly reduce that risk. There are many safety devices that reduce risk too. You'll find that good alignment and blade selection is critical to a TS. My advice is to grab a good book or two...buy or borrow. Jim Tolpin's Tablesaw Magic is excellent IMO, and many others speak highly of Kelly Mahler's Tablesaw book.

There are also good books about routers and router use....Pat Warner is a leading authority.
    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• ironhat
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2004
      • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
      • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Welcome aboard, Ferenando. You will definitely like the folks here. No big egos or attitudes, just folks swapping experience and information and the occassional word of encouragement.
      Later,
      Chiz
      Blessings,
      Chiz

Comment

• lucifari
        Forum Newbie
        • Aug 2004
        • Wheaton, MD, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3100

help! New guy in the house.

Welcome to the best forum on the Internet. You won't meet a greater bunch of guys and gals anywhere. Check out Hilton and Matlack for router information. There's wealth of information here in the FAQs and technical postings.

Always look before you leap - safety is skill priority number one!
        Bill

\"Life is uncertain, order dessert first\"

Comment

• Ken Weaver
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2004
          • Clemson, SC, USA
          • Rigid TS3650

Welcome aboard!
          Ken Weaver
          Clemson, SC

"A mistake is absolute proof that someone tried to do something!

Comment

• ndj
            Forum Newbie
            • Feb 2006
            • Lexington, KY
            • BT3K

Hello Fernando! As another newbie, let me welcome you to the forum. If you cannot find the answer here, I doubt that an answer exists. Your timing is very good because there is a very recent thread on the best woodworking books.

You'll also get valuable "heads up" info that can save you money on tools and equipment in the "Bargain Alerts" threads.

IMHO this is the most valuable forum on the internet in terms of quality contributions of the posters, great feedback, answers to your questions, etc. all in a forum that isn't intimidating or combative. These folks only offer positive assistance. Have fun learning as well as posting and reading.

Jim

Comment

• gmack5
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Quapaw, Oklahoma, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000SX & BT3100

Welcome to the "Family"

Welcome, Ferenando, you post the questions and we'll try to come up with an answer that'll work.
              Stop thinking why you can't and Start thinking how you CAN!
              Remember, SUCCESS comes in CANS!
              George

Comment

• John Hunter
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2004
                • Lake Station, IN, USA.
                • BT3000 & BT3100

Welcome aboard Fernando.
                John Hunter

Comment

• gmack5
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Quapaw, Oklahoma, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3000SX & BT3100

My Apologies!

I read your post and didn't pick up on the fact that you had actually asked a question, sort of.....

[qoute]i need advice on my first table saw and router as well as make some good friends on here. please let me know and just wanted to officially say hello![end quote]

The BT3100 is the most "bang for the buck" Table Saw that's available in the US market, bar none! It has good accuracy and plenty of power for most jobs. And a Two year warrentee on parts and material.

As to a Router, for your particular application, I think I would look at a "Trim Router", as opposed to a full sized one. There are several of them on the market, take your pick.

BTW, Hollering "HELP!" (all Caps is considered YELLING) will work a few times, then the "Cry Wolf" syndrome will kick in and you'll get LESS help by doing that than normal.
                  Reserve the use of that for when you really are in deep trouble, please.
                  Last edited by gmack5; 05-31-2006, 12:11 PM.
                  Stop thinking why you can't and Start thinking how you CAN!
                  Remember, SUCCESS comes in CANS!
                  George

Comment

• quest51210

well, thanks for the welcome guys. i have been pulling 12 hour days trying to open up our new shop. i am speechless right now, but sure i will be back to the norm in a few more days.

Comment

• leehljp
                      Just me
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Tunica, MS
                      • BT3000/3100

Most of the people here use the Ryobi BT 3000 or BT3100. There are several that use one of Home Depot's brand saws.

Your work requires you to do some precision work but not on big pieces like cabinet and furniture making. Your needs are precisely what the BT3100 does best. Other saws are just as capable but I think a sliding table would help you out tremendoulsly if you chose another brand.

As to routers, I personally like Porter Cable, although there are Bosch, Makita, Dewalt and Milwaukee fans here too. For good productive work I would choose one of those. And look for the two or three base router sets. They add great versatility. Ryobi makes a fair router, but most here have not really be pleased with their Ryobi router.

The trim router that GMack spoke of might be all you need though.

WELCOME!
                      Last edited by leehljp; 06-13-2006, 12:55 AM.
                      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

Working...