X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonW
    Established Member
    • Feb 2006

Pics of my DIY shelves (or “rack”) for my stereo gear

You folks have been great in helping me out with the basics. So I want to share some photos of my first project finished with the saw and a few other tools.

I wanted to make some shelves or a rack for all my stereo gear. I wanted it to be sturdy, but I wanted it to have a light, “airy” look, rather than be all heavy and thick looking. I drew out lots of designs, even made a template of a curved leg that I didn’t like, and then settled on this design, which I do like. Each leg has the sides rounded over, 3/4”. There is a gradual curve atop each leg, so it looks as though the curve flows from one leg top to the other. Each shelf has a camfered front edge. There is a 1.5” brace below each shelf in the rear. Overall, it’s about 4’ tall.

I also fashioned a few hooks for the back, on shelves 2 and 5, to hold cables in place. Just a little hook type of thing to hold the cables from all the gear. To try and keep the cable spaghetti under a little control.

It’s all Russian baltic birch. I used cheap wood because I was anticipating lots of mistakes for my first woodworking outing. The legs are made of 3/4” and the shelves are 1/2”. I already had tools, glue, polyurethane finish, etc. around from my subwoofer project. I used scrap wood and some of the birch ply here for making router jigs. The cost to me was something like $25 for a 5’x5’ sheet of 1/2” wood and then I used a quarter of a sheet of 3/4” ($38 for a 5’x5’ sheet), so something like $45 out of pocket.

It was quite a lot of work (for me, at least) to make this thing. I worked slowly and carefully. I’m happy with the results.

Here are the shelves all done:

Loaded up:

You can see the hooks in the back here:

The long view. If you squint, you might also see a DIY sub in the picture (hint: black tube…):
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

WOW that sub is just HUGE

What does it sound like? Looks like it will shake the house!!!

Jon
    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com

Comment

• MilDoc

Originally posted by poolhound

Jon
      And kill your hearing, like mine from listening to Doors, Cream, Iron Butterfly etc full volume in the 60s and 70s.

Comment

• bigsteel15
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2006
        • Edmonton, AB
        • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by MilDoc
        And kill your hearing, like mine from listening to Doors, Cream, Iron Butterfly etc full volume in the 60s and 70s.
        You lucky bugger...

That is a very nice stand Jon.
        I like the look of quality Baltic Birch when it is finished properly.
        Brian

Welcome to the school of life
        Where corporal punishment is alive and well.

Comment

• GeekMom
          • Dec 2004
          • Bonney Lake, WA.
          • Shopsmith Mark V

Nice job on the stand. Sure doesn't look like a 'first project'.
          Karen
          <><

Comment

• gerti
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2003
            • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
            • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Reminds me of a friend long ago who's room mostly consisted of a set of Klipsch horns...

Nice work!

Comment

• JimD
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2003
              • Lexington, SC.

Looks great. I like the look of bb although I have used it only for drawers. Maybe I should try it for the outside of something. The sub is big - how many cubic feet? I think mine is 4 - but hidden in the floor so you don't see it.

Jim

Comment

• Pappy
                The Full Monte
                • Dec 2002
                • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 (x2)

Nice shelf, Jon. Simple, clean lines. Thought would be to add a 'C' shaped channel outside of the 'hooks' to partially conceal the cables.
                Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                Fools because they have to say something.
                Plato

Comment

• Wood_workur
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2005
                  • Ohio
                  • Ryobi bt3100-1

Originally posted by Pappy
                  Nice shelf, Jon. Simple, clean lines. Thought would be to add a 'C' shaped channel outside of the 'hooks' to partially conceal the cables.

I like it too. I would have made a curved-ish box to house the cables, that open up with a hitten latch, but maybee that could be a later project.
                  Alex

Comment

• bigstick509
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2004
                    • Macomb, MI, USA.
                    • BT3100

Nice Job

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

Comment

• JonW
                      Established Member
                      • Feb 2006

Thanks for all the kind comments, folks. This is a particularly kind compliment:
                      Originally posted by GeekMom
                      Sure doesn't look like a 'first project'.

As for the sub, I figured if I’m going to the effort to build one, it might as well be a no compromise one. Build it once and build it right, to not ever itch to upgrade. Yeah, it can play loud, but that’s not why I built it. More to play low and clean. Really nice, tight bass. For volume, it’s something like 27 cubic feet. Details here:
                      http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=19517

For managing the cables, yeah, I thought about a few different options, including cups or C-shaped channels, hooks and clips, latches, etc. None of what I came up with seemed to work. Some of the cables are pretty stiff. And some run from one shelf to another. Some from the left side, others from the right. I didn’t want what would look like a 5th leg in the middle of the rear- it might block some cables coming out. And start tomake the whole thing look too “heavy” if there’s a lot more wood. So I settled on the hooks. They’re OK, I guess. Could certainly be improved. If you folks have any pics of alternatives, I’d be happy to see them.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2005
                        • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by JonW
                        Thanks for all the kind comments, folks. This is a particularly kind compliment:

As for the sub, I figured if I’m going to the effort to build one, it might as well be a no compromise one. Build it once and build it right, to not ever itch to upgrade. Yeah, it can play loud, but that’s not why I built it. More to play low and clean. Really nice, tight bass. For volume, it’s something like 27 cubic feet. Details here:

For managing the cables, yeah, I thought about a few different options, including cups or C-shaped channels, hooks and clips, latches, etc. None of what I came up with seemed to work. Some of the cables are pretty stiff. And some run from one shelf to another. Some from the left side, others from the right. I didn’t want what would look like a 5th leg in the middle of the rear- it might block some cables coming out. And start tomake the whole thing look too “heavy” if there’s a lot more wood. So I settled on the hooks. They’re OK, I guess. Could certainly be improved. If you folks have any pics of alternatives, I’d be happy to see them.
                        Have you measured your Hz range? Man I bet that thing gets down there.

Comment

• crokett
                          The Full Monte
                          • Jan 2003
                          • Mebane, NC, USA.
                          • Ryobi BT3000

Jon, very nice job on that shelf unit. Gives me some ideas.

Looking at that sub, you aren't married are you? Your profile doesn't say one way or the other.
                          David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Wood_workur
                            Veteran Member
                            • Aug 2005
                            • Ohio
                            • Ryobi bt3100-1

Originally posted by JonW

either of these two would work, but the first is my favorite of the two (smaller profile):

http://www.mmnewman.com/content/heli...plications.asp

http://www.mockett.com/default.asp?id=52
                            Alex

Comment

• mater
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jan 2004
                              • SC, USA.

Jon
                              Looks like it might shake the neighbors house also. Very nice work on the shelves. I may use your pattern to build some.
                              Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

Working...