• Show
Clear All
  • liqdfire
    Forum Newbie
    • Apr 2006
    • St. Petersburg, FL
    • BT3100

Woodworking classes.

I am looking into taking some woodworking classes; possible even take one on turning and see if it is something I will enjoy. Have any of you had any experience with woodcraft's classes and would you recommend them?

Where else besided my local technical school could I look for classes ?
    Last edited by liqdfire; 05-22-2006, 10:39 PM.
  • jackellis
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

I haven't taken any of Woodcraft's classes but I did take the Jumpstart I class at the Woodworker Academy ( http://www.woodworkeracademy.com) in Alameda, California and it was excellent.

Good points: learn by doing, lots of different equipment in the shop, emphasis on safety, and the instructor (Jerry) has a Master's in fine art.

Cons: A little on the expensive side and most classes require a multi-day commitment.

If you have the time and the money, definitely worth it. Disclaimer: I've known Jerry for a long time so I might be a bit biased, but I learned a lot in that class and it was well worth the price.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2005
      • York, PA, USA.

Not necessarily a class per se, however if you hang out at the right booths and attend the right seminars, you can learn a good bit at woodworking shows. It won't be hands on, such as a class, but you can certainly learn a few new things. The potential down side is that everything you have ever dreamed of is sold there! Wallets beware!

Also, I know that a local cabinet shop has projects and classes. My local example : http://www.oldemill.com

You may want to check locally to see whats available.

Comment

• drumpriest
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2004
        • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
        • Powermatic PM 2000

Rockler is also doing classes now, and they are significantly cheaper than woodcraft's. It's hard to say if a class will be good or not, it depends upon the teacher really, and that varies from location to location.
        Keith Z. Leonard
        Go Steelers!

Comment

• gary
          • May 2004
          • Versailles, KY, USA.

your location is not visibe in yout youa profile so I'll make some school recommendations.

www.marcadams.com Marc Adams School of Woodworking- can be hard to get into so they're begun reserving the month of April for new students. If the classes dont fill, then they'll fill it with old timers (LOL at dual meaning).
          Gary

Comment

• sacherjj
            Not Your Average Joe
            • Dec 2005
            • Indianapolis, IN, USA.
            • BT3100-1

The classes at Rockler or Woodcraft are totally dependent on local instructors. Our local Woodcraft is terribly run and having issues, but my turing instructor was great. I would also look into local turning clubs. They usually have "introduction" meetings to try and get new members.
            Joe Sacher

Comment

• Deadhead
              Established Member
              • Jan 2004
              • Maidens, Virginia, USA.
              • BT3100

I have taken 1 class and it was a router class at Woodcraft. My local Woodcraft offered it as a 3.5 hour evening class, but I didn't feel that was enough for me (it was shortly after I purchased my first router). So I opted for a 2 hour drive to attend an all-day router class at a Woodcraft in another city. I was very pleased with the class and instructor. But as Joe mentioned, the instructor can be a huge variable.

I've been considering the 2-day Woodworking Fundamentals class offered by Woodcraft, but the $200 price has kept me from doing it.
              "Success is gettin' what you want; Happiness is wantin' what you get." - Brother Dave Gardner (1926-1983)

Comment

• venkatbo
                Established Member
                • Jan 2006
                • Cupertino, CA, USA.

After attending a semester long WW (beginner) class, I have to admit, there is nothing that matches it in the amount you'll learn... Safety gets grilld into you every class... Inspite of that, we managed to see two spectacular kickbacks on the TS :-) Luckily no one was hurt... but we quickly learned how to avoid them...

1 semester - $120 including all materials - for a decent size usable cabinet, to take home :-)

If I were you, I'd dedicate that much time, because, no matter what, at all times, you should learn to breathe, eat, live - safety ! 1 bad second, and a costly mistake is what you could be left with :-(

'am no expert, but I think it'd be safe to say, that you can't really learn much of anything in 1 weekend, unless you are quite knowledgeable in other aspects of ww...

/venkat

Comment

• vaking
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2005
                  • Montclair, NJ, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3100-1

Check your local high school. In my town local high school offers adult education classes. This would be the easiest on your wallet. I took a class on finishing/refinishing. 6 evenings once a week conducted in a workshop of a local woodworker for 5 people.
                  Alex V

Comment

• liqdfire
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Apr 2006
                    • St. Petersburg, FL
                    • BT3100

Originally posted by vaking
                    Check your local high school. In my town local high school offers adult education classes. This would be the easiest on your wallet. I took a class on finishing/refinishing. 6 evenings once a week conducted in a workshop of a local woodworker for 5 people.
                    I think I will do that.

Thanks everyone for your help, I updated my profile as well.

Comment

• gerti
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2003
                      • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
                      • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

I have attended classes at both Rockler and Woodcraft, and all were great. But as others say it depends on the instructors. If you are interested in woodturning, by all means check out your local chapter of the American Association of Woodturners: Go to

http://www.woodturner.org/

and select AAW Local Chapters on the left. Most chapters welcome guests. Membership is typically very affordable, and many chapters provide classes, demos and hands on sessions at a fraction of the cost of a class at Woodcraft or Rockler.

Comment

• liqdfire
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Apr 2006
                        • St. Petersburg, FL
                        • BT3100

Originally posted by gerti
                        I have attended classes at both Rockler and Woodcraft, and all were great. But as others say it depends on the instructors. If you are interested in woodturning, by all means check out your local chapter of the American Association of Woodturners: Go to

http://www.woodturner.org/

and select AAW Local Chapters on the left. Most chapters welcome guests. Membership is typically very affordable, and many chapters provide classes, demos and hands on sessions at a fraction of the cost of a class at Woodcraft or Rockler.
                        I might have to check them out as the local chapter is not far from me.

Comment

Working...