• Show
Clear All
  • wreckwriter
    Established Member
    • Mar 2006
    • South Florida
    • BT3100-1

miters and bevels and measurements

This is confusing me, I hope I can explain it well enough that someone will understand my question.

OK, I need to cut a 45 degree bevel across one end of 18 1x6 pine boards. I plan to do this with a CMS. My question involves measuring and setting up for the cut since the blade will hit what will end up as the short side first rather than hitting the side which will be the final length of the board...

Someone explained to me that on a 45 degree miter the difference between the long side and short side would be the same as the width of the board. Does this work with bevels too? In other words, if the board is 1/2 inch thick and I bevel the end at 45 degrees, is the difference between the sides going to be 1/2 inch?

So if I want to end up with a 3' 8" board I would start my bevel cut at 3' 7.5". Is this right?

Thanks for your patience with a guy that never quite got math and angles and such..
    http://www.wreckwriter.com/
  • bigsteel15
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2006
    • Edmonton, AB
    • Ryobi BT3100

Your math looks right to me.
    A 45 deg angle has equal straight legs.
    Brian

Welcome to the school of life
    Where corporal punishment is alive and well.

Comment

• wreckwriter
      Established Member
      • Mar 2006
      • South Florida
      • BT3100-1

Thanks much

Comment

• LarryG
        The Full Monte
        • May 2004
        • Off The Back
        • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Your arithmetic is correct. However ...

Originally posted by wreckwriter
        My question involves measuring and setting up for the cut since the blade will hit what will end up as the short side first rather than hitting the side which will be the final length of the board.
        You can get around this, assuming sufficient clearance exists, by moving the workpiece to the other side of the blade and flipping it (the workpiece) over.

Either way will work. Main thing is to not lose track of which side is which. And toward that end, although one can do the arithmetic and make the appropriate compensation, when cutting miters or bevels I always like to make my pencil mark on the same side I measure. That may be the long, or it may be the short; either way, I take a measurement and transfer that directly to the workpiece "as-is" and let the other side of the miter/bevel take care of itself. Taking the original measurement is one possible place to make an error; measuring the place the mark is a second; doing arithmetic, however simple, just introduces a third.

This is another instance where cutting long and "sneaking up" on what you actually need is generally good practice.
        Last edited by LarryG; 04-27-2006, 01:59 PM.
        Larry

Comment

• wreckwriter
          Established Member
          • Mar 2006
          • South Florida
          • BT3100-1

moving it to the other side.............. Why didn't I think of that! Thanks Larry!

I agree about sneaking up. My plan is to get one piece perfect and then just set the miter saw stand rails and blocks to do the others. Getting them all the same is most important.

Comment

• Popeye
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2003
            • Woodbine, Ga
            • Grizzly 1023SL

Another thing to note.....If both ends are to me mitered then the total length of the long side will be the length of the inside plus twice the thickness/width of the board. Pat
            Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• wreckwriter
              Established Member
              • Mar 2006
              • South Florida
              • BT3100-1

Originally posted by Popeye
              Another thing to note.....If both ends are to me mitered then the total length of the long side will be the length of the inside plus twice the thickness/width of the board. Pat
              Good point. This was just one end mitered though. 20 boards, all came out great.

Comment

• Popeye
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2003
                • Woodbine, Ga
                • Grizzly 1023SL

Originally posted by wreckwriter
                Good point. This was just one end mitered though. 20 boards, all came out great.
                Super, glad it worked out. Pat
                Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

Working...