davidtu,
If the Ryobi belt sander you are looking at is the 3x21, then it is a good deal. I have one but I am not confident they still sell it. I got a rebuilt from Cummins which I really like. I have not used a 3x18 but the reviews I have read are not encouraging - the platten is awfully short.
The round random orbit sander you are considering is also a fine choice.
I disagree with the other comments in a couple of aspects. First, I use my Ryobi 3x21 variable speed belt sander on furniture all the time. It works great for flattening wide glue-ups and I used it yesterday on some little nightstands that have maple edges wrapping plywood panels. Going through the veneer of plywood is always a concern but if you know what you are doing, you can control a belt sander and save time. I recommend practicing on large panels of solid wood but when you can consistently avoid digging in, you can try more finese applications. Rapid stock removal and in-line scratch pattern are good things.
The second difference I have with other commenters is on random orbit sanders being different from 1/4 sheet sanders. I have been doing this long enough to have owned a near useless inline sander that was 1/2 sheet. They also sold 1/4 sheet in line sanders but you could hand sand quicker. These days, nearly every hand held sander that is not a belt sander is a random orbit. Some orbits are bigger which makes the sanding more agressive but the range of 1/4 sheet sanders certainly overlaps the round paper variety. I like the 1/4 sheet because they will sand into corners. I have a large round type (a DeWalt shaped like a right angle grinder) and I really like the easy paper changes. My point is that both have advantages.
I have no stationary sanders but they are on my wish list.
Besides the Ryobi belt sander I have an old Craftsman belt sander that my wife ran over with her car that I do not use anymore. It still works but lacks a front grip. The Ryobi is much much nicer. I have an old Rockwell 1/4 sheet sander that is the predecessor of the Porter Cable 330. I sands nearly as fast as my big DeWalt. I recently purchased a Rigid 2500 1/4 sheet sander mainly because it has a bag and the Rockwell does not. The Rockwell is still my favorite but I am worried about the clouds of dust it throws off.
The idea of starting with a belt sander (3x21) and ROS is sound. I have made a lot of furniture with nothing more over the last 25+ years.
Jim
If the Ryobi belt sander you are looking at is the 3x21, then it is a good deal. I have one but I am not confident they still sell it. I got a rebuilt from Cummins which I really like. I have not used a 3x18 but the reviews I have read are not encouraging - the platten is awfully short.
The round random orbit sander you are considering is also a fine choice.
I disagree with the other comments in a couple of aspects. First, I use my Ryobi 3x21 variable speed belt sander on furniture all the time. It works great for flattening wide glue-ups and I used it yesterday on some little nightstands that have maple edges wrapping plywood panels. Going through the veneer of plywood is always a concern but if you know what you are doing, you can control a belt sander and save time. I recommend practicing on large panels of solid wood but when you can consistently avoid digging in, you can try more finese applications. Rapid stock removal and in-line scratch pattern are good things.
The second difference I have with other commenters is on random orbit sanders being different from 1/4 sheet sanders. I have been doing this long enough to have owned a near useless inline sander that was 1/2 sheet. They also sold 1/4 sheet in line sanders but you could hand sand quicker. These days, nearly every hand held sander that is not a belt sander is a random orbit. Some orbits are bigger which makes the sanding more agressive but the range of 1/4 sheet sanders certainly overlaps the round paper variety. I like the 1/4 sheet because they will sand into corners. I have a large round type (a DeWalt shaped like a right angle grinder) and I really like the easy paper changes. My point is that both have advantages.
I have no stationary sanders but they are on my wish list.
Besides the Ryobi belt sander I have an old Craftsman belt sander that my wife ran over with her car that I do not use anymore. It still works but lacks a front grip. The Ryobi is much much nicer. I have an old Rockwell 1/4 sheet sander that is the predecessor of the Porter Cable 330. I sands nearly as fast as my big DeWalt. I recently purchased a Rigid 2500 1/4 sheet sander mainly because it has a bag and the Rockwell does not. The Rockwell is still my favorite but I am worried about the clouds of dust it throws off.
The idea of starting with a belt sander (3x21) and ROS is sound. I have made a lot of furniture with nothing more over the last 25+ years.
Jim

Comment